British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CookieIpswich

Future Of The Gp Series?

Just a thought as this will not happen over night, but as with F1, does anyone think that the GP series could evolve in the future where the 16 riders whom compete within it are doing it on a full-time basis only and thus not racing for a league club?

Obviously the money would have to be there in order for this to happen, and the series itself would have to expand from say 11 rounds to 18 rounds - it could potentially take the series to new lucrative countries and not only gain in terms of finance but taking the sport to new viewers

For example, adding a round in the USA, South Africa, China, Qatar, UAE as well as possibly expanding with an additional new round at either say Wembley or the Olympic Stadium....

Could the GP series evolve where countries like Qatar etc. pay a fee to host a round?

An expanded series hitting new territories should attract bigger interest from blue-chip companies, all I saw at the Cardiff GP was Monster, Monster, Monster plus whoever sponsors each country GP in Cardiffs case Adrian Flux. - There is scope I believe in the future to take Speedway to a new audience into some of the richest countries in the World who have the financial clout to support it even if its seen as a gimmick to bring something new to their own region.

Any thoughts anyone?

Just a thought as this will not happen over night, but as with F1, does anyone think that the GP series could evolve in the future where the 16 riders whom compete within it are doing it on a full-time basis only and thus not racing for a league club?

Short answer, no. It's been postulated ever since the start of the SGP, but hasn't happened because the money isn't there to do it, and likely never will be. The SGP doesn't pay anything close to a living wage, and why should it when the BSI can get riders to ride for them whilst paying a relative pittance compared to what they earn in Poland or wherever.

Obviously the money would have to be there in order for this to happen, and the series itself would have to expand from say 11 rounds to 18 rounds - it could potentially take the series to new lucrative countries and not only gain in terms of finance but taking the sport to new viewers

If those lucrative countries were there, they'd already be staging GPs. The bottom line is there are only a few countries where speedway has a significant following, so what promoter is going to take the financial risk of staging a GP where the sport is unknown or only has a small following? Why would the likes China and Qatar and UAE want to pay money to stage a sport that's unknown in their own country, barely known globally, and with a demographic that's unlikely to pay silly money to stay in expensive resorts? How would it promote their countries or otherwise provide them with some sort of benefit?

An expanded series hitting new territories should attract bigger interest from blue-chip companies, all I saw at the Cardiff GP was Monster, Monster, Monster plus whoever sponsors each country GP in Cardiffs case Adrian Flux.

To attract blue chip sponsors you need to have a following that makes it worth their while. Speedway doesn't, which is why the SGP struggles to get any sponsors at all, and how many are actually paying real money?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

UNFORTUNATELY most but not quite all of what Humphrey says is true. Speedway, now more than ever, operates within its own little bubble.

What is so sad, and I believe most on here will agree, when speedway is as good as it was at Belle Vue on Saturday, there is no better or entertaining form of motorsport on two wheels or four,

• Like 5

No chance of it happening. Not enough money in it for the 16 riders and it would probably kill league racing as we want to see top riders regularly..

what would any newcomer to the sport watching on tv on saturday think of the shouty brothers hysterical ranting ? I've known women give birth who make less noise. Totally off putting

• Like 1

The first letter I ever had published in national newspaper or magazine was back in 1961, when I was 14, in the Speedway Star and News after Eric Linden had suggested more or less the same thing. I wrote in opposition to the idea, basically for the same reasons as Humphrey and marky point out, though in the context of speedway in the 1960s of course. I still think it wouldn't work for the same reasons.

Still, plus ca change and all that.....

what would any newcomer to the sport watching on tv on saturday think of the shouty brothers hysterical ranting ? I've known women give birth who make less noise. Totally off putting

WHAT you fail to grasp is that who you disparagingly call the 'Shouty Brothers' were positioned outside the grandstand amongst the crowd and that along with two different voices continually coming through each ear from the TV producer and director makes their roles quite tough compared with those commentators cocooned in a nice box.

However, their style and one which is both encouraged and enjoyed is to get excited about the product in front of them especially when each race lasts for about a minute. You can always turn the sound down if it offends you but rest assured they are highly rated not just amongst the speedway fraternity but also within the TV industry.

• Like 3

I know. Give me a dull monotone, or the knowledgeable and articulate sam ermolenko any day.or what they should really do is invent a button which allows the TV volume to be turned up or down, or even off completely, so that if viewers don't like the commentary they gave options...

I agree with what everyone has said 100%

However, do you think its more a case of the powers that be do not push it or even think out of the box?

Granted, Speedway is not the most popular sport but some of these countries mentioned could potentially do it more for their own people than anything - Take Russia and USA there should be GP's there anyway

but places like China/Qatar etc. its a well documented fact that in the sport of MMA the King of Jordan regularly hosted events for an event known as Cage Warriors - this was arguably one of the biggest MMA events in Europe (known well within the sport but not heard of to those not associated to the sport) - Its definately not the UFC

Anyway, the King of Jordan actually had an arena built just for Cage Warriors and he would give away all the tickets to the people of Jordan - its called "Entertainment".

IF some savvy people in charge of the SGP series were to unlock a couple of countries in this region it may well open up opportunities for bigger sponsorship from business within that region and business who want to be seen as a player in those regions.

WHAT you fail to grasp is that who you disparagingly call the 'Shouty Brothers' were positioned outside the grandstand amongst the crowd and that along with two different voices continually coming through each ear from the TV producer and director makes their roles quite tough compared with those commentators cocooned in a nice box.

However, their style and one which is both encouraged and enjoyed is to get excited about the product in front of them especially when each race lasts for about a minute. You can always turn the sound down if it offends you but rest assured they are highly rated not just amongst the speedway fraternity but also within the TV industry.

And both personal friends.

People have to respect that their style is not liked by everyone in speedway and they are entitled to that opinion

Edited by New Science

That is very much the Sky Sports way of commentating across the board on most sports & for high adrenaline sports it's the complete norm. Murray Walker been doing it for years for example.

They do a decent job, not everyones cuppa but they are good.I would however like to see them switch it up from time to time, get Dave Norris or Stoney or Simon Stead in once in a while.

Edited by RPNYC

Floppy was great in commentary, very entertaining Whether he still would be i dunno.

• Like 1

GPS are stale and tedious enough as it is with the same riders competing ad nausium.

They need a variety of riders to maintain interest and refresh interest all the time.

Already it's a 2 horse race twixt Hancock and Woffinden.

GPS are stale and tedious enough as it is with the same riders competing ad nausium.

They need a variety of riders to maintain interest and refresh interest all the time.

Already it's a 2 horse race twixt Hancock and Woffinden.

You surely are not serious- 16 points between the top 7 with 6 rounds to go plus 2016 has had everything anyone would want in a world championship series racing wise (obviously anyone bar you !!!)

• Like 3

Tbf it does look a two way battle for the title, though doesn't that sum up the world finals 1984-1989?

But look how close 3rd to 7th and 8th to 14th are, it's shaping as a fascinating series.

And racing wise, it looks like this will go down as one of the best ever series.