British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Beevers

Most Luckless Performance In A Meeting By A Rider

Just looked this one up TB,it was against Reading in 1984. Shawn was excluded in heat one when his chain broke and Tim Hunt crashed into the back of him.

In his second heat his engine siezed up.

In his third heat he touched the tapes and was excluded.

And lastly in his fourth heat,the bike had a electrical failure and he ground to a halt.

Tigers lost 38-40!

I had to have a lay down

I can't believe Tim Hunt crashed into anyone

• Like 1

I had to have a lay down

He was one of the dirtiest riders that i ever saw if you were his partner you were riding against three riders.

He was one of the dirtiest riders that i ever saw if you were his partner you were riding against three riders.

Not that he was dirty - or even wild - but Ron Mountford was known to race his team-mates!

Getting back to the subject, Efkins has already been mentioned, although whether that could be considered as "luckless", I'm not quite sure... :P

Steve

Edited by chunky

Just looked this one up TB,it was against Reading in 1984. Shawn was excluded in heat one when his chain broke and Tim Hunt crashed into the back of him.

In his second heat his engine siezed up.

In his third heat he touched the tapes and was excluded.

And lastly in his fourth heat,the bike had a electrical failure and he ground to a halt.

Tigers lost 38-40!

Thank you, Andrew, like I said earlier, I couldn't remember exactly, but it did stick that something occurred each time he came out.

I had to have a lay down

I don't think they were on lay downs then :D:wink:

If Shooey's bike threw a chain, he probably couldn't take evasive action quickly enough - that said, he probably couldn't have done that with a bit of warning!!!

It was actually at Owlerton the following year that he (Tim Hunt) suffered what turned out to be a career ending crash.

You could say those Russian riders who had their bikes pinched before a Wembley world final were out of luck!!!

But then the bad luck turned to good luck for one of the russians who ended up borrowing and riding the one and only Bert Harkings bike on the night (which was proberly faster than the russians own at that time) but ........

....... bad luck then struck again when I believe Berts bike ended up rather bent after landing on the dog track after the ruskies had a coming together with the unlucky Briggo that night.

This year it has to be James Sarjeant. I've lost count of the times he's touched the tapes or fallen, but it's got to average over one misdemeanour per meeting.