British Speedway Forum

Please do you want to lick Matt's !!!! he is not a god and going by last year he has to prove again he can create a team i am not convinced he can again.

Slightly off topic, but hey, so is Poole slightly off topic so what the heck.

Has anyone bought the "Memories of Swindon Speedway" DVD? An advert for it came up on my Facebook page. Is it worth getting?

YES get it for christmas.😀 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

You're blaming the team manager for how his rider performed? :rofl: :rofl: Have you got a brain in that nut of yours? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The rapport Neil has with his riders is second to none. He opens his home to the entire team, even taking care of their food and washing for them. There are few managers in Britain the same performances many riders have achieved under Neils management.

When Matt puts together the best team its easy to manage the only job he has is to motivate and as we discovered when he was GB manager he's not up to it,

So if Doyle scores 15 points a meeting his average is 12 points a meeting. Which is the truer figure?

15 divided by 5 = 3

3 times 4 = 12

12 is his average.

Noone should have an average over 12. It's not possible. I'm quite pleased with the changes this year, but the x1.4 formula is this years 'Heat leader list'. Wheras everything else seems pretty straight, this is an artificial multiplier made up at he AGM and (crucially IMO) .....this artificial figure is allowed to break reality.

Imagine trying to explain this to anyone outside the sport. 'But how can someone have an average above what's physically possible??'

15 divided by 5 = 3

3 times 4 = 12

12 is his average.

Noone should have an average over 12. It's not possible. I'm quite pleased with the changes this year, but the x1.4 formula is this years 'Heat leader list'. Wheras everything else seems pretty straight, this is an artificial multiplier made up at he AGM and (crucially IMO) .....this artificial figure is allowed to break reality.

Imagine trying to explain this to anyone outside the sport. 'But how can someone have an average above what's physically possible??'

The clubs won't average 50 points between the 9 of them either so don't see the issue of having riders over 12.

• Like 2

15 divided by 5 = 3

3 times 4 = 12

12 is his average.

The Premiership 'averages' are only artificial. Guys like Doyle won't be expecting to get near their average.

People are taking the term 'average' far too literally with the new averages.

• Like 6

I think that for the 2nd biggest team in the UK in terms of everything put together in speedway and having the GB manger. Swindon can't build teams. Great to show respect to a GB rider in Ellis but that doesn't win you titles. Wolves last year were ruthless and they won. Rosco needs to pick a more balanced team as well. Love Doyle, but Swindon should have looked at Hampel for example just for those extra 3.5 points. I feel like top 4 riders will be good and bottom 3 awful. And your bottom riders need to be JPB or Smith. We have Shanes which is one of the top 3 young UK riders and you need one of the others I feel.

2nd biggest team in the UK , im assuming behind Belle Vue.

Why would you have a flakey Pole instead of Doyle??

Shanes , a good little rider yes, top 3 young riders in the UK?? Not even close

KK has never been flakey for Poole, i accept other teams may have had problems but not Poole, much loved and appreciated at Wimborne Road.

KK has never been flakey for Poole, i accept other teams may have had problems but not Poole, much loved and appreciated at Wimborne Road.

You misread me mate.

Wasnt talking about KK, Poolebolton said Hampel should ride for Swindon instead of Doyle, i was calling Hampel flakey

Well everyone else says Shanes is one of top three young riders like JPB. Belle Vue being a big club???? They can't even run which is just awful. They should be they have the history and the largest population of people to target and they can't do it. NSS should have been built in Swindon thats from a Poole fan as well.

KK is a bloody good rider. And Doyle came good last season and one year before that. Don't get ahead of yourself yet.

You misread me mate.

Wasnt talking about KK, Poolebolton said Hampel should ride for Swindon instead of Doyle, i was calling Hampel flakey

Hampel would be a good rider and would make there team much stronger. I guess time will tell over the season but i fear for Swindon.

Well everyone else says Shanes is one of top three young riders like JPB. Belle Vue being a big club???? They can't even run which is just awful. They should be they have the history and the largest population of people to target and they can't do it. NSS should have been built in Swindon thats from a Poole fan as well.

KK is a bloody good rider. And Doyle came good last season and one year before that. Don't get ahead of yourself yet.

Wasnt talking about KK!! You mentioned Hampel who i was saying was flakey!!

And yes ask anyone down the pub who isnt a speedway fan to name a club and i would imagine a majority would say Belle Vue. Still the biggest club in stature in the UK irrelevent of their finances and lack of trophys.

And yes ask anyone down the pub who isnt a speedway fan to name a club and i would imagine a majority would say Belle Vue. Still the biggest club in stature in the UK irrelevent of their finances and lack of trophys.

Thats because you guys are a different generation to me. Come to people my age aka uni student speedway fans which is a very small number. Poole, Swindon, Coventry and Wolves. Belle Vue no where near. They haven't won anything for a while.

I was working in Sheffield recently and forced into some lunchtime small talk with the guy I was doing work for. So I asked if he ever went to the speedway.

His answer was not surprising. He used to! He said they used to be one of the top clubs in the country when he used to go, but he doesn't go now as they're not very good now.

Then he said that Belle Vue were the top team in those days, but they've shut down now. I think this says something of speedway promotion. He had no idea they had moved to the greyhound stadium and had no idea that a new stadium had recently opened.

So, in a pub, someone would probably say Belle Vue used to be but they shut down years ago.

I don't think there is any doubt that Poole Pirates would be the most famous club now - though not exactly a household name in the world of sport.

Edited by grachan

This is a Swindon thread, not Poole.

We know that.

I do actually comment on the Swindon team. And well have fun against Glasgow in the relegation match.

You misread me mate.

Oh ok but Hampel is a top rider who i wouldn't call flakey either although i doubt if he is available.