British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Anyone Else Considering Walking Away From Speedway?

If anything stops me going (and I doubt it will) it will be that.

Tsunami once told me (and I apologise, because I have repeated this many times) that it is all about 4 blokes on bikes without brakes and that anything else is fluff.

As far as I am concerned, he's right because the last thing I was thinking about when watching a stunning heat 13 at Lakeside last week was what Matt Ford (or anyone else) is up to next.

While I agree, that once at a meeting it's generally all about the 4 riders doing 4 laps I had to sit and watch a 15 heat meeting with 3 heats only having 3 riders, why? Because of Matt Ford and worst of all Kildemand was stood 10 foot from me watching the meeting. Yet in 2003 when the BLC had a rule that no EL club could use R/R, Poole turned up at Newport and had a few riders in Poland (as it Sunday) and someone (Boyce maybe?) on holiday so only had 6 riders and got special dispensation to use R/R. I watched both of them meetings furious.

So while at a meeting I don't tend to be too bothered about the rules as the meeting is taking place, being cheated makes sport pointless. Otherwise get rid of rules, don't bother with league tables and titles and just call it an entertainment.

So while at a meeting I don't tend to be too bothered about the rules as the meeting is taking place, being cheated makes sport pointless. Otherwise get rid of rules, don't bother with league tables and titles and just call it an entertainment.

My sentiments exactly......

• Like 1

Coventry re-declared twice in a short space of time. Between the two re-declarations Poole/Ford contacted Kildemand by text to "sign" him, lying that Coventry had dropped him when they were always re-introducing him. Coventry had to use 5 riders in a meeting vs BV (already using R/R) as although Kildemand was in attendance he wasn't allowed to ride, Auty lived too far away and Matt Ford knew out other double up rider was in a prison cell with Darcy Ward being questioned about an alleged sexual assault!

At the time Kiidemand was riding for a Premier League team ( can't remember which) But their promoter claimed it was all because Kildemand did not understand English

well if kildemand didnt understand english any agreement is null and void..I was there that night it ruined coventrys play off hopes. other clubs would of calked it off or dug a rut in the track to cause postponemnt

After the Kildemand farce it confirmed to me that Matt Ford can do whatever he like without repercussions. Nothing has changed my mind in that regard.

• Like 3

After the Kildemand farce it confirmed to me that Matt Ford can do whatever he like without repercussions. Nothing has changed my mind in that regard.

Exactly that. Used a privileged position on the Management Committee to ruin someone else totally legal team. Yet he's still a promoter.

It's little wonder Sandhu walked away after that farce! The winter was bad enough for him!

While I agree, that once at a meeting it's generally all about the 4 riders doing 4 laps I had to sit and watch a 15 heat meeting with 3 heats only having 3 riders, why? Because of Matt Ford and worst of all Kildemand was stood 10 foot from me watching the meeting. Yet in 2003 when the BLC had a rule that no EL club could use R/R, Poole turned up at Newport and had a few riders in Poland (as it Sunday) and someone (Boyce maybe?) on holiday so only had 6 riders and got special dispensation to use R/R. I watched both of them meetings furious.

I agree with you, too.

Richard Hall getting an NL average from years ago when all the others are on a PL converted one. Lindback's average reduction. Mitchell Davey can guest for Dan Bewley but not Danny Ayres. Dan Bewley can double up between two clubs that ride on the same night but Craig Cook can't. That's just 2016 and just what I can think of.

I guess my love of the racing overrides my contempt for those who manipulate the rules, you're just the other way around.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

If the planned new Swindon stadium is not built, and being a Racers fan I would not believe a word Clark Osbourne says, then that is the end of my speedway interest. I can't see it returning to Reading or Oxford, much as I would love to be wrong.

Battling the M25 to get to trick track Lakeside doesnt interest me.

My only speedway this year has been at Swindon and frankly it hasn't been a good night out....

The Premier League is struggling, the Elite League is a farce and riders riding for two and often three teams doesn't cut the custard for me. Nor do the delays - two and a half hours standing on sloped cracked tarmac or grass for 16/17 minutes of entertainment is not what I expect in 2016.

Edited by remembertheracers
  • Like 1

I wouldn't dream of walking away from Speedway. I appreciate this is under an EL thread and Im from Scunthorpe in the PL, but to me speedway is speedway.

Having travelled up and down the country watching all levels of league speedway - you have some good meetings and bad meetings. The rules do put me off speedway a little bit BUT when Im at a meeting, and what I say to any possible newbies is forget about the politics and enjoy the entertainment. The end of the day promoters/managers deal with the politics - the supporters are there for the entertainment. So all I would say is attend your home meetings and ENJOY YOUR ENTERTAINMENT of Speedway while you still have it

youve also got a former poole promoter (pairman) on the scb board someone that colin meredith doesnt have much time for

Probably because Pairman kept banging on about conflict of interest. Pot calling kettle black springs to mind.

If anything stops me going (and I doubt it will) it will be that.

Tsunami once told me (and I apologise, because I have repeated this many times) that it is all about 4 blokes on bikes without brakes and that anything else is fluff.

As far as I am concerned, he's right because the last thing I was thinking about when watching a stunning heat 13 at Lakeside last week was what Matt Ford (or anyone else) is up to next.

He's wrong thou ..if was just had 4 riders going round a track even if the race was good no one would go ....without rules league's etc speedway means nothing .

• Like 2

Well David Hemsley's walked away and maybe it was because of the antics of his fellow promoters and the way the sport is run?

That might be at least partly due to the fact that he won't pay a fine that is at least somewhat justified.

Battling the M25 to get to trick track Lakeside doesnt interest me.

Don't blame you on the M25, but I have seen some fantastic speedway at Lakeside this season.

I wouldn't dream of walking away from Speedway. I appreciate this is under an EL thread and Im from Scunthorpe in the PL, but to me speedway is speedway.

Having travelled up and down the country watching all levels of league speedway - you have some good meetings and bad meetings. The rules do put me off speedway a little bit BUT when Im at a meeting, and what I say to any possible newbies is forget about the politics and enjoy the entertainment. The end of the day promoters/managers deal with the politics - the supporters are there for the entertainment. So all I would say is attend your home meetings and ENJOY YOUR ENTERTAINMENT of Speedway while you still have it

Helps that you go to Scunny.

Top quality racing, good presentation and no unnecessary delays.

If every track had that, there might just be more people attending.

He's wrong thou ..if was just had 4 riders going round a track even if the race was good no one would go ....without rules league's etc speedway means nothing .

I think I would.

Obviously its better within a defined structure, but if it was just racing I might well go anyway.