British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrMungo

Plymouth 2017

I think speedway will continue but at nl level unfortunately because we have seen some superb speedway over the last few seasons on our track. Good luck in the playoffs mate i will be rooting for your boys!

Not throwing your support behind the Witches then lewy, as you seem to like following that club's Threads and commenting on posts on those Threads?

The rebs have been awsesome this season without doubt but i like glasgow and there great supporters . Might pop to the ota next season more often cos nl doesnt really appeal to me

So not a "speedway" supporter then lewy, just a PL and above fan then?

Not throwing your support behind the Witches then lewy, as you seem to like following that club's Threads and commenting on posts on those Threads?

So not a "speedway" supporter then lewy, just a PL and above fan then?

This is a plymouth 2017 thread 🎺
  • Like 1

Hope things pull through for you guys.

Plenty time yet :)

Hope things pull through for you guys.

Plenty time yet :)

Hope things workout for your team also 👍
  • Like 1

Well i guess you have spent the entire season and most of last slagging off the make up of certain teams,and saying how crap they are,maybe now you will learn the lesson of keeping your trap shut and respect teams who cut their cloth accordingly and continue to come to the tapes the following season

Your policy of last year,which you went on and on about that buliding strong teams and the fans will come clearly doesnt work

First rule these days in speedway----Bulid a team that ensures the club continues

Now lets hope that a buyer or some solution can be put in place to ensure Plymouth can arrive at the tapes next spring in what ever league suits them

Lets not forget that it is not that long ago that Scunthorpe weren't that far away from this, and Plymouth neither own their own stadium nor have stock cars to subsidise the speedway.

I would say that the major reason that Plymouth have failed is because since their elevation to the PL their teams have been poor.

Fans will stomach a season or two near the bottom, but not 5 or 6 continuous ones.

The writing has been on the wall for quite a while now. Before Seemond Stephens was bought out,both he and Ashley Taylor were pulling in opposite directions, with one prefering to stay PL while the other has always wanted NL.

Just after the current Promotion took over from Bowden an article appeared in the Plymouth Herald.In it the new ownwers boasted that 'soon all others promotions will look on in envy at the way we run things here' Well I hope the others have looked and learnt how NOT to run a Speedway team .

I do know how this will be hurting Ashley Taylor. However, to do this once is one thing, to the it twice within 6 months is just not acceptable. He must accept the the fact that he must now step aside and allow any potential new owner(s) to go about keeping speedway in the area without any interference from him.

Worse still is the fact the riders seemingly only found out when they read the BSPA statement, just like everyone else.Appalling.

That's harsh, Bob. I suspect you know more about this than I do but I am struggling to see precisely what Plymouth have done so wrong to justify the tag how 'NOT' to run a speedway team, aside from losing at home too often. Others, in my opinion, are far worse.

As you rightly say, it is a brilliant little track with some superb viewing and racing to match. That, alone, means that Plymouth have got the basics right.

The only major criticism I have heard of Ashley Taylor is that he tries to do everything himself. He certainly hasn't walked away from the club despite all the difficulties and undoubtedly will have personally lost a great deal of money. I have always found him to be approachable, decent and a man of integrity (although I would of course accept that the riders should have been kept informed) and I have far more time for him than others in his position.

• Like 1

Lets not forget that it is not that long ago that Scunthorpe weren't that far away from this, and Plymouth neither own their own stadium nor have stock cars to subsidise the speedway.

I would say that the major reason that Plymouth have failed is because since their elevation to the PL their teams have been poor.

Fans will stomach a season or two near the bottom, but not 5 or 6 continuous ones.

That's harsh, Bob. I suspect you know more about this than I do but I am struggling to see precisely what Plymouth have done so wrong to justify the tag how 'NOT' to run a speedway team, aside from losing at home too often. Others, in my opinion, are far worse.

As you rightly say, it is a brilliant little track with some superb viewing and racing to match. That, alone, means that Plymouth have got the basics right.

The only major criticism I have heard of Ashley Taylor is that he tries to do everything himself. He certainly hasn't walked away from the club despite all the difficulties and undoubtedly will have personally lost a great deal of money. I have always found him to be approachable, decent and a man of integrity (although I would of course accept that the riders should have been kept informed) and I have far more time for him than others in his position.

HT, You have answered the reasons why the current Promotion have failed.

It has been common knowledge for a long time that with Ashley its 'his way or no way'.

He was the one who proclaimed that under his stewardship other clubs would look on in envy at the way they Promote.

I dont doubt for one second his undoubted passion for the club and speedway in general. He will be hurting more than anyone else.

Sadly, it has now been proven that 'his way' is not the right way. Which is why I feel he should step aside and allow others to try 'their way'.

The Devils had exceptionally good crowds while in the NL. How and why is not difficult to see. They had a winning team, always near or at the top of the table. As you say, people will always support a winning team. For whatever reasons. successive promotions haven't been able to attract enough top class riders to be able to turn the SBA into a fortress. Thats all I hear from the terraces each week. Most are not too bothered about the away results, so long as the team dont get thumped. If they win at home, most are happy.

I go to speedway, as Im sure you do, to watch 4 riders doing battle. It has never bothered me which League Im watching. Ive seen some cracking speedway in the EL, PL and NL and also some absolutely dire meetings as well. All I want to see is any rider giving his/her all for their team. To be able to walk up to anyone in the stadium,look them in the eye and say 'I gave my best tonight'.

I sincerely hope the Devils come to the tapes in 2017. I they do,I suspect it will be in the NL.

I will be there.

I do not subscribe to Lee Triggers and Lewys view that 'its not for them'. Every single rider has to start somewhere. I love nothing better than seeing a rider wobble round for a few weeks before working things out and start the long road 'stardom'. Some do, some dont. Thats life.

Go back to basics, be honest and up front with the fans, keep them informed and even go round the terraces and find out what the paying public are thinking. Remember Gordon Meakins at Carmarthen? He was always walking round chatting to anyone who wanted to, thanking you for coming, how far have you travelled etc. Just like good old Johnnie Hoskins at Canterbury. When he shook my hand, my arm ached all night!

• Like 3

There have been enough local riders from the Devon and Cornwall area that have started at NL level and gone on to be successful, to think that a drop down would not be the end of the world.

Of course the NL is valid, entertaining and vital to the future of the sport. But surely everyone at that level has aspirations of climbing the ladder… The rider who starts out wobbling around the track and develops, does so aiming to progress to the PL and onwards.

A rider who has progressed through the NL and reached PL standard wouldn’t welcome dropping back down the ladder any more than the fans or Manager of a club would welcome their team dropping back down…. Unless, the rider, team or Manager obviously wasn’t up to that standard then reluctantly I’m sure they would accept NL as their level and be content.

I can’t speak for Lewy or Lee, but I’m not ready to accept that the Devils aren’t capable of competing and surviving at PL level….. I think all we know is that the previous promotion wasn’t capable at that level, not the club.

As a fan I will have to be grateful for whatever comes next because, yes, anything will be better than nothing. But if the right people come in, with promotion that’s capable, I’m sure a sustainable future in the PL is possible.

I'm not privy to how the club has been run/promoted in recent years, but without doubt there is an appetite for speedway in Plymouth. Only 3 seasons ago, I attended the Devils home match against a poor Glasgow side. The only real attraction really was Joe Screen who was in the twilight of his career.

Amazingly the crowd looked huge. Certainly there were queues outside waiting to get in. Plymouth were below mid table, as were the Tigers.

Having reflected, I do remember it being Mikel B Jensen's debut, so that was probably the reason for the big crowd. Nevertheless, the potential is definitely there.

As others have said, a great little track to watch speedway racing.

Best of British to the fans and the club itself.

• Like 1

First and foremost for 2017 Plymouth need to be sustainable whatever level they run at. A team and running costs need to be built around the lower realistic attendance figures not the optimistic higher numbers.

It will probably take several seasons for the club to re-establish the trust of riders & supporters regarding the financial stability and needs to be viewed as a long term project not a season to season plan.

There will be hard times ahead and most likely some poor seasons but fingers crossed that can continue to regrow themselves into a sustainable force.

HT, You have answered the reasons why the current Promotion have failed.

It has been common knowledge for a long time that with Ashley its 'his way or no way'.

He was the one who proclaimed that under his stewardship other clubs would look on in envy at the way they Promote.

I dont doubt for one second his undoubted passion for the club and speedway in general. He will be hurting more than anyone else.

Sadly, it has now been proven that 'his way' is not the right way. Which is why I feel he should step aside and allow others to try 'their way'.

The Devils had exceptionally good crowds while in the NL. How and why is not difficult to see. They had a winning team, always near or at the top of the table. As you say, people will always support a winning team. For whatever reasons. successive promotions haven't been able to attract enough top class riders to be able to turn the SBA into a fortress. Thats all I hear from the terraces each week. Most are not too bothered about the away results, so long as the team dont get thumped. If they win at home, most are happy.

I go to speedway, as Im sure you do, to watch 4 riders doing battle. It has never bothered me which League Im watching. Ive seen some cracking speedway in the EL, PL and NL and also some absolutely dire meetings as well. All I want to see is any rider giving his/her all for their team. To be able to walk up to anyone in the stadium,look them in the eye and say 'I gave my best tonight'.

I sincerely hope the Devils come to the tapes in 2017. I they do,I suspect it will be in the NL.

I will be there.

I do not subscribe to Lee Triggers and Lewys view that 'its not for them'. Every single rider has to start somewhere. I love nothing better than seeing a rider wobble round for a few weeks before working things out and start the long road 'stardom'. Some do, some dont. Thats life.

Go back to basics, be honest and up front with the fans, keep them informed and even go round the terraces and find out what the paying public are thinking. Remember Gordon Meakins at Carmarthen? He was always walking round chatting to anyone who wanted to, thanking you for coming, how far have you travelled etc. Just like good old Johnnie Hoskins at Canterbury. When he shook my hand, my arm ached all night!

I never thought it way his way or no way, just that he tried to do everything himself rather than letting others help.

Other than that, cracking post and I agree with every word.

PS. Try Isle of Wight. Barry Bishop spends the entire meeting with the fans.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

nl hopefully. As long as you can put out a competitive team in whatever league there's entertainment to be had. Fingers crossed :t:

• Like 1

That is simply not true,Scunthorpe were a million miles away from calling in creditors and leaving riders etc unpaid,

The stock cars do not subsidise speedway either,both businesses have to stand on there own feet,and thats what they do

And Plymouth chased the play offs last year so cant be such a bad team,and i believe that has cost them dear,add in the signing of Mickael B etc costing 1000s or pounds, it just doesnt stack up..in speedway success doesnt mean sustainability,biggest loss Scunny ever made---Year we won the PL!

• Like 1

That is simply not true,Scunthorpe were a million miles away from calling in creditors and leaving riders etc unpaid,

The stock cars do not subsidise speedway either,both businesses have to stand on there own feet,and thats what they do

And Plymouth chased the play offs last year so cant be such a bad team,and i believe that has cost them dear,add in the signing of Mickael B etc costing 1000s or pounds, it just doesnt stack up..in speedway success doesnt mean sustainability,biggest loss Scunny ever made---Year we won the PL!

Really ?

I must have misheard Rob Godfrey last season when he said (several times) he was going to shut the track if crowds didn't improve.