British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Midweek meetings at arena have never been well attended. I can't see Monday or Thursday evenings being very popular either.

Regular racing in the second tier would be preferable to me,,,,,,,.after all only 2 or 3 meetings in the premier would be local derbies ..Or failing that one big league split into north and south sections , play offs north v south .Plus the National league ..no one knows what will happen at the AGM, lets just hope Lakeside are running next year

So what do they do Cityrebel?

Friday just isnt an option, not only because of the traffic but also restrictions on certain riders having to travel ahead of weekend commitments abroad, Saturday for the latter also, Sunday is Polish speedway day, Grasstrack and heaven knows what else.

Monday or Wednesday or Thursday is not ideal but i have always felt if the product is right people will come, you only have to look at previous seasons of meetings by SKY TV, most Mondays played out in front of near empty stadia, but come the play offs when something really counts all of a sudden being a Monday is no longer a problem, fans flock in their droves and not just for the home team.

I would sum it up as this, if a meeting has enough incentive about it, fans will come no matter what day, however if the meeting means nothing and is full of guests etc, the day, even if its perfect for travelling and no school the next day, it wont make any difference, it won't even draw flies.

I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions. The sport is in such a bad place, who knows if it can recover from years of neglect.

It's a tad frustraring, as ex-track staff, how irrespective of the debate around best/ worse race nights, it's just automatically taken for granted that track helpers, machine examiners, etc. can just drop everything in their personal lives; and automatically turn up to meet the needs of riders.

The fact is, without people performing these voluntary roles, then fans wouldn't be watching Speedway; nor riders actually racing it. Never once have I known a rider to even realise this fact.

I used to do it for the love of the club - and because I didn't have work on Saturday Mornings. But as I used fo be on the road by 4am Weekdays, I'm sodded if I'd have been lumping away fences and air-bags in the peeing rain come Midnight Sunday to Thursday.

Track Staff are a key component at any club - but particularly at Lakeside where the track has to be built and subsequently dismantled for EVERY meeting.

And before anyone believes there'll always be a raft of volunteers, let me tell you that there wouldn't be. I've seen more people give up after their first week than stay for a season. It's dirty, tiring, physical work. But hey, you get a line of thanks in the programme at the end of the year.......sometimes!

• Like 3

Have to agree with the voice of reason ,I tried it once a few years ago and it's hard work at Lakeside compared to some other tracks I have volunteered.at..

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Must admit it's a subject I don't think about too much. The Lakeside air fence is up and down each meeting and it must be a very

hard task, especially if it has been a wet meeting and the air cushions are smothered in sticky shale, and it's raining as well !

Is this an item that is considered when deciding whether to run in questionable weather? I think it would be if I was in charge !

Well done to those who volunteer to take on the job.

• Like 1

Do Ipswich have more vulunteers then? as they are in the same situation and they race on week night.

I don't know if its me but if I cast my mind back or watch videos from the 80/90s we seemed to have more staff then, starting gate staff/rakers etc

Following last evening's social event, it looks as if the Hammers will be aiming for regular racing in 2018 by applying to join the Championship with a likely all British team.

I believe it was a factor coupled with likely 'fixed' race nights in the Premier. There has been a lot of discussion in the past about Friday meetings but the cold hard facts are that any other weekday produces poorer crowds. Trying Sundays this season was a disaster. There was an acknowledgement that dropping down to NL had been a mistake (but one forced on the promotion as an alternative to no speedway at all) and a desire to have regular racing.results in the Championship application.

I'm surprised, but I can see the reasons. Keeping the regular race night is a must, plus having an all British team to keep the costs down is vitally important.

More regular racing in the Championship works for me and I would like the idea of going all British.

More regular racing in the Championship works for me and I would like the idea of going all British.

Jon also said that since the news went out on the grapevine last Tuesday he had had quite a lot of interest from riders that were interested in riding for the club at Championship level including a former Hammer of the Year, and he seemed confident of putting a decent team out rather than having to fill some of the team spaces with whoever was available, as we had to do this year. Ultimately though, averages and points limit will have some influence on the final choices. He said some riders that had previously ridden for the Hammers were interested in returning, and there were enquiries from some who had never ridden for us before.

He praised and thanked the track staff for their efforts especially Ken Driscoll who took over as track curator at short notice after the previous track curator had left on the eve of the season, and said this season we had the highest marks ever from referees for the condition of the track.