British Speedway Forum
Alex2000

Eastbourne 2017

Just had an hour at Press & Practice and I think I see Plan B coming.

Replacing Adam Extance with a lower 3+ rider would have given other teams between 1 & 2 points advantage before a wheel has turned.

Much more likely they would change the team. I was surprised to see Jake Knight practicing and he looked a cut above everyone else. From his body language with Martin Dugard in the pits he seemed to be saying 'I am back'.

My guess would be that Connor Coles is moving probably to Kings Lynn and Jake will be No 1. This leaves 3.79 points to replace Adam Extance.

Would make the eagles even stronger.

The two who impressed most apart from Jake were Mark Baseby and Tom Brennan. Tom obviously has a lot to learn from behind but when he makes the gate he will be very difficult to catch.

The other youngster who looked to have the makings of a good rider wore No 50 on his back. I would like to know his name if anyone has it. Looked a bit big for Nathan Ablett but might have been Jason Edwards? Certainly one to follow in the British Youth Championship this year.

• Like 1

Replacing Adam Extance with a lower 3+ rider would have given other teams between 1 & 2 points advantage before a wheel has turned.

Much more likely they would change the team. I was surprised to see Jake Knight practicing and he looked a cut above everyone else. From his body language with Martin Dugard in the pits he seemed to be saying 'I am back'.

My guess would be that Connor Coles is moving probably to Kings Lynn and Jake will be No 1. This leaves 3.79 points to replace Adam Extance.

The two who impressed most apart from Jake were Mark Baseby and Tom Brennan. Tom obviously has a lot to learn from behind but when he makes the gate he will be very difficult to catch.

The other youngster who looked to have the makings of a good rider wore No 50 on his back. I would like to know his name if anyone has it. Looked a bit big for Nathan Ablett but might have been Jason Edwards? Certainly one to follow in the British Youth Championship this year.

No 50 was Nathan Ablitt.

Jake was red hot

Wood was quite stunning and working hard.

Baseby doing well.

Nathan has grown - they do at that age. You don't see them for six months and you hardly recognise them.

Jake was red hot

Wood was quite stunning and working hard.

Baseby doing well.

Nathan has grown - they do at that age. You don't see them for six months and you hardly recognise them.

I wish I could stop getting wider every 6 months
  • Like 1

You know your getting older when you look in the mirror and the first thought is "who the hells that"

So Aaron Baseby was there practising too. But on a 6.58 average, if he came into the side it'd mean another change.

Wasn't at press day anymore signs of what's going to happen re the last rider or riders if that has to be the case?

So Aaron Baseby was there practising too. But on a 6.58 average, if he came into the side it'd mean another change.

I think Aaron must have come with his brother for a practice, he was out last year and I see no way that he could fit at present if he is going to make a come back.

His average is too high to replace one of the bottom 4 and too low to replace a heat leader. It would need someone else in the 6 bracket and we know they are like gold dust.

The Jake Knight scenario though makes real sense as we need a real No 1 which takes the pressure off Mark Baseby who can go to 5 and particularly Georgie who can do well at 3. We can afford to down grade the replacement for Adam Extance as he will spend all season at reserve and there will always be a good reserve with him to take extra rides if necessary. I presume that will be Charley Powell who should have a good season now his shoulder has recovered and with the general weakening of reserves and second strings.

There are one or two possibilities out there, From the sound of things Jamie Cousins has been practicing with Georgie and is going well but did not get a place with Kent. James Purchase is another with a bit of experience, with their knowledge of local track and grass track talent I would expect the Dugards to have someone lined up.

This could also be a good move for Connor Coles who has to go from Eastbourne Saturday night to Newcastle on Sunday along with his Moto Cross commitments. Far better to be with a midweek team like Kings Lynn and I believe he comes from the Anglia region.

Hope we get some answers in the next few days because I will be away until Good Friday.

Would be Tom at reserve to start off with, and Charley probably at 2 if Jake comes back which I hope he does. At the first average changes would probably swop around, but the longer we could keep Tom at reserve the better really.

I seem to remember James Purchase breaking his collar bone last year, but if he wanted to ride again this year would be a solid reserve, think he must be fairly local as well as his company is in Romsey. This is no slight on Conner Coles by the way, but thought from word go his traveling could be a nightmare and still think he'll miss a number of meetings.

Edited by gazzac

Knight seemed to have enjoyed himself yesterday by his comments on social media.

I dont think it was a question of whether he still enjoyed it but more his work load and viability. I think if Jake had ridden this year there was a real opportunity for him to progress with the way the leagues have been 're structured. I'm sure also if his work stops him from making a few meetings we would have rich pickings for guests to replace him.

Looks like knight isn't starting as they've signed Mattie Bates decent signing compared to other number 4s like verge and Luke Harris

Was on my shortlist of riders that fitted 'as it is'. Good signing especially at home if I recall wasn't the best traveller but alwayalways scored which Is what you need in this sort of team.