British Speedway Forum
Nobblytriers

Uncertainty Over Teams And Sky Tv

It seems that there are only five definite teams declared to run so far this coming season, with Coventry, Leicester, Swindon and Belle Vue still not 100% confirmed, and there's only a few weeks to go before tapes up.

I was wondering how this sits with Sky. From what I could understand, they always wanted at least eight teams running to confirm coverage during the season. Does anyone know what happening with Sky TV this year?

Thanks.

It seems that there are only five definite teams declared to run so far this coming season, with Coventry, Leicester, Swindon and Belle Vue still not 100% confirmed, and there's only a few weeks to go before tapes up.

I was wondering how this sits with Sky. From what I could understand, they always wanted at least eight teams running to confirm coverage during the season. Does anyone know what happening with Sky TV this year?

Thanks.

Leicester, Swindon and Belle Vue are declared to run.

Leicester, Swindon and Belle Vue are declared to run.

Until Leicester and Belle Vue announce their teams and managers, official promoters, I'm not taking anything as definitely, absolutely confirmed as running!!!!

Chickens, and count etc.....

I'm sure everything possible is being done behind the scenes, but it is a worry with only a few weeks to go to the start of the new season, that there are so many unanswered questions still there. I was also wondering what SKY make of all this, and how it will affect their view of the sport in the future? Maybe they should concentrate their coverage on the new Championship League, where there are far more teams, and greater stability each year. I'd be happy with that, after all there is hardly a glut of World class riders in the new Premiership for 2017.

Sky are crap. The money we pay goes to the Premiership. Speedway is chickenfeed to them.

Well it's the only chance that some people have of seeing any league Speedway, personally I'm a big fan of it and I can't see us ever getting much coverage on BBC or ITV.

Thanks.

It's only January... and considering how many team changes that a certain club make in a season, usually in time for the play-off's, I doubt the teams that start the season will finish the season.

• Like 1

It's only January... and considering how many team changes that a certain club make in a season, usually in time for the play-off's, I doubt the teams that start the season will finish the season.

There is a new rule in place to supposedly prevent that (the searching for loopholes is ongoing as we speak!) ;-)

"Sky are crap."

Sorry, can't agree with that comment damosuzuki.

Firstly, you don't have to pay to watch it if you don't like it, and tell me where else you will get a production like that? I think their coverage over the past few years has been excellent considering its not a mainstream sport. I'm surprised at times they continue with it, when you see how empty the terraces are at many stadiums and the number of cancelled and rain affected meetings they have had to put up with. It costs them a fortune to televise a meeting, and then to get it rained off must be very frustrating for them.

It was only a few years back when we had NO television coverage at all, and its still generally ignored by the BBC and ITV. I can remember the odd BBC go at it. Usually involved one distant camera on the centre green, going round in a circle to follow the race, and commentary from Alan Weeks.

Think yourself lucky that Sky have given us the coverage we have now, as one day they may pull the plug, and we will have no TV coverage at all.

• Like 6

Maybe no British league speedway, but BT do the GP's (as well as Moto Gps)

Problem last 12 months has been Sky do British league, Eurosport doing Euros, and BT doing the World GP's

To get all you had to pay into at least 2 of them, the cost to many is a breaker.

I just cancelled my Sky account, got to almost £50 per month and that was just for TV (including a 2nd box in the bedroom so I could watch speedway on Eurosport and BT (via plusnet b/band), and that excluded SKY Sport.

As of no I am planning to watch speedway World GP's on You Tube as and when they become available - no matter what the language of commentator.

Come May, when I am free of a contract with Plusnet, I will look at what deaqls BT are offering for a Phone/Broad Band/TV deal. That way I get Eurosport and BT World GP's - will all depend on the cost.

DamoSuzuki - Well hopefully your view is not the one shared by most fans as without Sky British Speedway is in another mess

It's strange how people are very quick to criticise the coverage but am sure many of the same people will be the ones that complain when it's disappears of Sky

• Like 2

"Maybe no British league speedway, but BT do the GP's (as well as Moto Gps)

Problem last 12 months has been Sky do British league, Eurosport doing Euros, and BT doing the World GP's

To get all you had to pay into at least 2 of them, the cost to many is a breaker."

I agree OveFundinFan. My solution was to have BT Infinity Broadband, so I get BT Sport 1 for free and Eurosport for free. I then bought myself an Amazon Firestick preloaded with Kodi, and watch Skysport and hundreds of other channels and films for the one off cost of the Firestick. It works pretty well for me, as I have a fast 52 Meg download speed, and like you I couldn't justify the cost of paying for Sky Sport, for the odd occasion I watched Speedway. Sky do Now TV which I have tried for a 24 hour sport pass, but that was £6-99 last year. I used it before getting the Kodi and it worked fine, but once again more expense for an old age pensioner!

Bye the way, I was having lunch with Ove Fundin at the World Speedway Riders Dinner in Norwich last October, what a lovely guy he is, and looking so well for his age.

• Like 1

Sky are crap. The money we pay goes to the Premiership. Speedway is chickenfeed to them.

Sky are not crap, they are giving a window to speedway, what is crap is that after so many years coverage we still dont have a main sponsor for our main league.

• Like 3

Sky and all the Discovery portfolio of channels are parting company from Weds 1st February. - This includes the Eurosport channels which will still be available via Virgin Media and Eurosport Player!!