British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1 valve

Riders Income - Other Needs?

I appreciate that the answer to this question will differ from rider to rider and club to club but in general terms besides being paid to start a race and then the appropriate points money what other items of cost are met by the club?

I am thinking of:

• Travel expenses?
  • Tyres?
  • Fuel?
  • Bikes?
  • Engines?
  • Race suits?

and in terms of sponsorship, other than straight cash, what are the most beneficial items a rider could be sponsored with?

Edited by 1 valve

For youngsters a job that allows them time off for racing!

• Like 3

I appreciate that the answer to this question will differ from rider to rider and club to club but in general terms besides being paid to start a race and then the appropriate points money what other items of cost are met by the club?

I am thinking of:

• Travel expenses?
  • Tyres?
  • Fuel?
  • Bikes?
  • Engines?
  • Race suits?

and in terms of sponsorship, other than straight cash, what are the most beneficial items a rider could be sponsored with?

Tyres, fuel(methanol) & oil are usually paid by the club, although it's not a given.

The club will always (to the best of my knowledge) make a contribution towards fuel (travel) expenses, although the amount per mile does vary.

Things like kevlars vary a lot from club to club, and is often one of the stumbling blocks in contract discussions.

A van is often provided for the year if the club has a relevant sponsor - Belle Vue, Ipswich, etc.

Clubs sometimes provide money for a race day mechanic - this is often a cash payment.

Some clubs have full time mechanics, too.

In terms of general machinery, it is paid by the rider 99% of the time. Some international riders may be a different kettle of fish. Wealthier clubs (like Glasgow) have been known to provide riders with various necessary machinery.

The clubs often provide accomodation + workshop to Australian (and other foreign riders too).

Clearly stuff like engines or a bike (little bit harder as it has many different components) are the most beneficial for the rider, but there's a whole host of items that can be sponsored if someone prefers to pay for a specific item (rather than cash). Clutch plates, helmet, fork, frame, diamond, mudguards, numerous other bike parts, tear-offs, the list goes on.

Edited by MrMungo

I wish speedway was more open about payment levels to riders. No genuine heat leader class / international rider should need a testimonial except for serious injury. If for example Chris Holder is really being paid 10 X more for riding in Poland than in the UK he is getting paid £20,000 at least for each meeting over there.