British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

The Riders Who Never Took Your Imagination Over The Years.?

Jimmy Nilsen,supposedly the new star of Swedish speedway in the mid 80s (and he did have a decent career) but was dull to watch.I was never sold on Bobby Schwartz either,possibly because he never looked comfortable around Owlerton and I never saw him on smaller circuits.

I'm with you on that one - I know he reached World Pairs/WTCs etc, but Penhall, Sigalos and the Morans definitely seemed to outshine him. Having said that, you and I could write a book on top riders/potential world beaters who have been brilliant everywhere except Owlerton!

Bo Petersen has been mentioned by other people, I guess I didn't take him too seriously either, as in 1984 Shawn Moran went unbeaten at home by an opponent until the 24th May against Swindon - obviously we'd had Carter, Sigalos, Morton (Chris) etc in opposition before this, and I remember thinking "he's beaten all of those and then loses it to Bo Petersen!"

• Like 1

Having seen a lot of Bo Petersen at Hackney between 1978 and '83, I'm surprised by his inclusion in this debate, which mainly features one-paced riders.

Bo was fast and though a decent enough gater, he could pass the very best - inside or out.

And he had a tough streak too.

From a rigid-looking, upright riding style when he first arrived, he developed into a more spectacular racer who looked good on a bike for one so tall.

Remember the night Olsen rode him into the fence on the first bend when Coventry came to Waterden Road (1980?).

To be honest, I didn't see much of him - except in Test matches - after '83, so maybe he lost much of his hunger?

Definitely one who failed to fulfil his potential and retired from UK speedway all too soon. Would like to catch up with him in Denmark for a Backtrack interview...

Edited by tmc
  • Like 2

I'm only speaking for me of course, but I think it depends on what meetings you saw them in - for instance Sheffield had League, Northern Trophy, Challenges, Individual meetings, so PC, Mort, Carter etc seemed to be there every other week so you knew how good they were. Whereas Wimbledon, Ipswich, Hackney, Poole etc would only be there once, so you only ever saw certain riders once a season. I daresay there's fans of especially Wimbledon and Ipswich who wouldn't have thought much of Doug Wyer or Reg Wilson as being a force.

• Like 1

I'm only speaking for me of course, but I think it depends on what meetings you saw them in - for instance Sheffield had League, Northern Trophy, Challenges, Individual meetings, so PC, Mort, Carter etc seemed to be there every other week so you knew how good they were. Whereas Wimbledon, Ipswich, Hackney, Poole etc would only be there once, so you only ever saw certain riders once a season. I daresay there's fans of especially Wimbledon and Ipswich who wouldn't have thought much of Doug Wyer or Reg Wilson as being a force.

That's why it was a treat to see the Northern riders at the Abbey.Because unless they were in individual meeting's or a guest somewhere you might only see some riders once a year.

Frigbo, you'll know better than me. Wasn't there a big pile-up involving Jimmy in 1988? He was a changed rider around that point - the slightly scary version disappeared.

All the best

Rob

He had a big pile-up with Per Jonsson and Jan Andersson in the opening meeting of 1988 against Getingarna. He broke a wrist and dislocated a shoulder, it definitely made him a more circumspect rider from then on,

That's why it was a treat to see the Northern riders at the Abbey.Because unless they were in individual meeting's or a guest somewhere you might only see some riders once a year.

I know what you mean about that, the 1981 Northern Riders Championship, featured John Louis, Billy Sanders and Larry Ross, all of whom had moved to Northern clubs for the first time that season​! Of course, we'd never had them in individual meetings before.

Still on the subject, you could always guarantee our family holidays would clash with Ipswich's one visit to Owlerton, too...

I know what you mean about that, the 1981 Northern Riders Championship, featured John Louis, Billy Sanders and Larry Ross, all of whom had moved to Northern clubs for the first time that season​! Of course, we'd never had them in individual meetings before.

Still on the subject, you could always guarantee our family holidays would clash with Ipswich's one visit to Owlerton, too...

Tiger do you think in the 70s/80s most Northern clubs were rewowned as being poor travellers when on there Southern visits.I often felt that Southern clubs on there Northern jaunts were the Northern teams usually were formidable on there own track and had a big home advantage.I loved all my visits up North great days Owlerton,The Shay,Hyde Rd was a real old treat a great day out it usually P..... down when i went to Hyde Rd.

Tiger do you think in the 70s/80s most Northern clubs were rewowned as being poor travellers when on there Southern visits.I often felt that Southern clubs on there Northern jaunts were the Northern teams usually were formidable on there own track and had a big home advantage.I loved all my visits up North great days Owlerton,The Shay,Hyde Rd was a real old treat a great day out it usually P..... down when i went to Hyde Rd.

Did you never get up to Newcastle or Middlesbrough for the Speedway Sidney?

With the possible exception of Belle Vue, and Hull until Ivan Mauger went there I would agree with you (bear in mind, I only started going in 1977) Perhaps because the 4 Northern tracks were large and fast paced and many of the southern ones were smaller and more technical.

Did you never get up to Newcastle or Middlesbrough for the Speedway Sidney?

Yes Newcastle twice v Milton Keynes and in 1984 when Newcastle moved into the the BL v Swindon Middlesborough never got there WK.I did go to Barrow v Milton Keynes, Barrow i think had Charlie Monk riding with a young Mark Courtney.
  • Like 1

Frigbo, you'll know better than me. Wasn't there a big pile-up involving Jimmy in 1988? He was a changed rider around that point - the slightly scary version disappeared.

All the best

Rob

And possibly being involved in the Gundersen crash didnt help either

Ivan Mauger.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have missed seeing him for the world, but in reality he was always dull to watch, having gated and gone.

Ray Wilson.

A top world class rider in his time, but, in all the years I saw him race, he never did quite do it for me

Ray Wilson.A top world class rider in his time, but, in all the years I saw him race, he never did quite do it for me

Irritated me because he had the audacity to beat our Briggo at Blunsdon on more than one occasion.

Irritated me because he had the audacity to beat our Briggo at Blunsdon on more than one occasion.

And Martin Ashby in the 1975 British Final.

One for me has to be Dave Jessup, who people often talk about as someone who could and should have been a World Champion but for me was always in the Wilson/Boocock/Ashby/Betts mould. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but many people elevate him higher than those.