British Speedway Forum
martin_t

Heathens Planning Application

What is the problem in regard to a possible use of the word Heathens? Is there a copyright on it?

And elsewhere, Steve Roberts mentions there was a problem once at Oxford in regard to the use of the word Cheethahs.

Surely, nothing can stop an application for a potential speedway licence to be made just under an area name, then start the use of the nickname Heathens? As has been pointed out elsewhere there are several speedways using the nickname Tigers so there should be no objections to the use of the Heathens nickname.

Nigel Pearson and Chris Van Straaten own a company called Heathens Speedway Club Limited. I think they would have a good case against Heathens Speedway Supporters Trust for passing off, as I am sure the trust rely on people's goodwill towards the speedway club to raise money.

How many people know that the Heathens Speedway Supporters Trust have no association with Heathens Speedway Club Limited which run the actual team?

• Like 1

What is the problem in regard to a possible use of the word Heathens? Is there a copyright on it?

And elsewhere, Steve Roberts mentions there was a problem once at Oxford in regard to the use of the word Cheethahs.

Surely, nothing can stop an application for a potential speedway licence to be made just under an area name, then start the use of the nickname Heathens? As has been pointed out elsewhere there are several speedways using the nickname Tigers so there should be no objections to the use of the Heathens nickname.

Nigel Pearson and Chris Van Straaten own a company called Heathens Speedway Club Limited. I think they would have a good case against Heathens Speedway Supporters Trust for passing off, as I am sure the trust rely on people's goodwill towards the speedway club to raise money.

How many people know that the Heathens Speedway Supporters Trust have no association with Heathens Speedway Club Limited which run the actual team?

Thank you for the update picture MattK. Your comment puts an interesting and important scenario on the speedway revival proposals.

However, I don't think there is any way in which potential supporters could nickname any new team as Heathens? It just means to me that a potential new promoting group would not be able to use the word as part of their registration?

Edited by Guest

Wasnt it once Cradley United? (Not sure if Im dreaming that up or not!!)

If so they could use that which would be an historic reference whilst having a modern ironic twist ☺

Wasnt it once Cradley United? (Not sure if Im dreaming that up or not!!)

If so they could use that which would be an historic reference whilst having a modern ironic twist ☺

No never again!!!..Cradley United was a stupid name.
  • Like 1

So when Sheffield changed their name from Tars to Tigers was there a risk of Glasgow protesting over 'passing off'? I'd suggest that the trust could be called ABCZZ Ltd t/a Sandwell Heathens. We have constant changes of promoting companies behind tracks but they are able to maintain the name, a couple of recent very clear cases being Leicester and Belle Vue.

Ultimately it's down to the BSPA and SCB to determine the acceptability of team names.

The question of licence is rather more murky. In theory couldn't Wolverhampton invoke the distance ruling and object?

Obviously the logical solution is for the the two parties to work together. It would be tragic for ego to keep speedway out of the Black Country, and rather out of keeping with the area, eh?

Edited by Rob McCaffery

Despite what people may think or read on Private social media accounts, Its always been the HSST stance that they wish to work with the present management, indeed I can only see one meaning to the last paragraph, please read the re-produced Heathens Promotions statement;

THE Heathens management would like to take the opportunity to offer the Heathens Speedway Supporters Trust their unreserved congratulations on their announcement that they have submitted an application to Sandwell MBC which could, ultimately, see the development of a site into a future home for the club.

The Trust have been able to achieve something which we have been unable to in the past 8 years, but that's not to say there has been any lack of time, effort or expense spared in that time or by others before us.

When you feel like you're constantly running into brick walls and treated as the political hot potato, as we have been with both Labour and Conservative led administrations at Dudley MBC, your motivation is severely challenged.

We would urge all supporters of the Club to fully embrace this scheme which could finally achieve the ambition of every Heathens fan and ultimately see the return of their team to a home of their own nearly 22 years after the closure of Dudley Wood.

Gary Patchett, Chris Van Straaten, Nigel Pearson - Heathens Speedway Club Ltd.

Thats the official club statement guys, its been in local media, on local Radio, on Social media, I think it makes it pretty plain what is the aim..

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 2

Is this a full planning application or for outline? I couldn't find it on the Sandwell web site

Can't see Wolves objecting as we are operating under their noses at the moment and we have proved beyond any doubt that Wolves fans and Cradley fans are pretty much mutually exclusive groups so no danger of poaching fans.

As I've said before, this is really good news and let's just celebrate it as such for the moment. There will be hurdles to overcome, no doubt, but everybody should be pushing in the same direction on this one. Sandwell have made positive noises in the past and I'm sure they would be delighted to pinch Dudley's most successful sports team. Not that there will be too many tears coming from that particular Town Hall.

Football, Cricket, Greyhounds, Speedway and two Swimming Baths are Dudley's list of sporting casualties over the years. It would be great to see at least one of them bite them back!

• Like 1

As we all know, Nigel Pearson and Chris Van Straaten have strong connections within Wolverhampton Speedway but for the sake of speedway in the area, they should join together & follow it through, stronger as a unit. Pearson has always said that they were looking for a decent site & here it is, not quite on their doorstep but not too far away. It will be lower league speedway so should not be a problem providing that they would ride on a different night to Birmingham & probably Stoke, thus not invoking the 30 mile limit on teams racing on the same night. Whether the team would remain Cradley or be a new team Sandwell, should not be an issue.

Is this a full planning application or for outline? I couldn't find it on the Sandwell web site

Outline, we, and our Consultants felt there was no point in going for full P.P, and all the expense that involves, if we cant obtain Outline..

To say certain members from the trust and the current 3 promotors are not the best of friends is a massive understatement , what is put out in press releases is just spin as is the crap which is put out in the local papers every year about finding land , this is a genuine chance but to get somewhere but imo personalities on both sides need to change to get anywhere , yes they need work together but will they ?

Outline, we, and our Consultants felt there was no point in going for full P.P, and all the expense that involves, if we cant obtain Outline..

Many thanks makes sense

Edited by noaksey

That makes sense.

Dudley Wood - Dudley 3.6 miles

Dudley Wood - Oldbury 4.4 miles

Whatever the political boundaries it's all one community.

• Like 2

Dudley Wood - Dudley 3.6 miles

Dudley Wood - Oldbury 4.4 miles

Whatever the political boundaries it's all one community.

Dudley Wood to Dudley 3.6 miles

Dudley Wood to Lion Farm 3.2 Miles

Lion Farm to Dudley 3.3 miles

Sorry Rob :wink: i couldnt help pointing out thats its even more local to our old DudleyWood Stadium than what you actually pointed out.In actual fact Rob Cradley Heath is in Sandwell but Cradley Heath as a community has always had more of an affinity with Dudley geographically, Sportswise i guess the major alliance of Cradley Heath apart from the Heathens is with West Bromwich Albion Fc, and for supporters to get to "The Albion" from Cradley Heath most of them would go past "Lion Farm" on the way to the match.

Edited by greyhoundp