British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Time To Crack Down On The Aussies?

Not sure if the visa is the right tool for the job. It's only a permit by the Home Office / UK Border Agency to allow someone into the country. I don't think that "personnel management" issues are anything that the Govt, Agencies will want to get involved in.

Guess it all depends on what the visa is and what terms attached are?

I guess for instance they aren't coming over on sports visa's,as strangely they don't seem to allow you to turn out for your national team in the UK !!!They also don't allow you to take a second job until you turn out for your first 'sponsor'.It also doesn't allow you to set up your own company,which is in effect what speedway riders do..Although i am not sure,i would have thought it probable like waihekeaces stated that conditions can be set when taking a job in a new country.So surely if you aren't satisfying the terms of the visa it can be revoked?

Edited by iris123

Dave

I was replying to -

"give us an instance .of Adams ,Crump , Sanders , wanting to change the Way British speedway operates for the benefit of their Polish commitments , or give us an instance of when they didn't give 100% priority to their British clubs"

It is an example of a rider not giving 100% priority to their British club - in this case not Polish speedway but to Long Track. It is a valid response.

And yes he, and any rider, is perfectly entitled to get the best from their contract(s) that they can (and good luck to them). Exeter obviously didn't object as they signed him, and as you point out, he rode for them.

Hope this helps clarify my post ?

I understand what you were replying to. Firstly, the point isn't entirely correct. Mauger had it built into his contract that where necessary he would be flown to Exeter, so that he could fulfil his commitments, there is a huge difference in what you are suggesting.

Second, in his five seasons with Exeter, he missed 10 official matches in 1973 - some of those were due to a late start after a delay in his move from Belle Vue & some were through injury. He was unbeaten by an opposition rider at the CG in all official matches all season. In 1974 he missed 3 official matches as Exeter won the league title for the first time in their history. In 1975 & 1976 he missed 5 official matches. In 1977 he missed 8, some of which were through injury. Further, less than a handful were because of LT commitments as clubs were not granted a facility in that instance.

His absences were comparable with other top stars of his era, including some top Brits. Research it if you doubt me.

During his time at Exeter, he transformed Exeter from being also rans to league champions inside two seasons, won the world championship as an Exeter rider & during his time with the club, apart from his first season, the Falcons finished in the top 3 every year until he left after the 1977 season. Had White City not been allowed to use RR for the retired Dag Lovaas all season, he would have finished his career in Devon lifting another league championship trophy for the club.

Exeter was transformed as a force by his arrival & became attractive visitors everywhere thereafter. In addition, he contributed massively off the track in many ways, not least what he taught Scott Autrey, turning him from raw teenage BL rookie, into one of the best Exeter riders ever, but also in terms of how the club was presented, what riders were signed, pairings on track & so, so much more.

Mauger's contribution to the cause of Exeter Speedway during his years there is almost immeasurable. The date he signed his contract on Easter Monday 1973 saw around 13,000 people at the CG & he wasn't even racing!

Sorry, but to say he didn't prioritise his club commitments whilst at Exeter, on the basis that he asked to be flown to meetings is simply not accurate. The point is, he was prioritising his commitments as he wanted to make sure he was present. You need to check your facts & look at the bigger picture of Mauger's time at Exeter. No rider in history has had the positive impact on the clubs that he has joined as Mauger. Ever. If he had "selfish" or demanding clauses written into his contracts, I would wager the promoters he raced for agreed to them gladly, he was so much more than what he did on the track. Shame we don't have someone like him today.

Please don't think I am tub thumping as a Mauger fan, nothing could be further from the truth, I was a PC fan, so read into it what you will about my opinion of Ivan, but the point you make is wrong.

Edited by Dave the Mic
  • Like 1

the simple equation to this is...Aussie riders need British speedway more than British speedway needs Aussie riders.

• Like 2

the simple equation to this is...Aussie riders need British speedway more than British speedway needs Aussie riders.

I'd suggest that for years Aussies have been welcome in the UK and done their job?

Trees, on 13 Aug 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

I'd suggest that for years Aussies have been welcome in the UK and done their job?

would of agreed to that a few seasons ago, its that nowadays the Aussies come across as if British speedway owes them a living.

I have nothing against the Aussies and do enjoy watching them, what I find hard to swallow is the recent knocking of the sport in this Country, if I was that unhappy with something I wouldn't do it and would ride elsewhere, or at the very least keep my head down, increase my stock value and then move on, because like in any other sport when your careers starts to spiral downwards(which it will) you might just need a favour or two to help you by the very same people you have trod on on the way up.

If we did ban Aussies, just how many of them would make it? The ones already established won't care but how many of the future Aussies would get anywhere? They might get a few riders in Denmark but then what?

If we did ban Aussies, just how many of them would make it? The ones already established won't care but how many of the future Aussies would get anywhere? They might get a few riders in Denmark but then what?

I don't think it's a question of banning, more a case for some sort of contracted commitment.

• Like 2