British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Newcastle Diamonds Vs Peterborough Panthers 13/08/17

Why the f*** should Shelby Rutherford be banned from the Sport then? It's a massive statement to make and it seems you are just saying it because he's 'not very good', well what do you expect he's a national league reserve riding as a Championship heatleader it's not his fault is it, what a brilliant way to treat riders who 'arn't good enough' just ban them, it's not Shelby's fault that he was having to race in Peterborough's top 5 it is Ged Rathbone's, Peterborough's, Jack Holder's and Torun's.

Please look again at my original post. What I am saying- or was trying to say - is that those who are in charge of this sport are allowing a situation in which a rider (Holder) can do whatever he likes at the expense of the public and as a consequence we see non-contests like those involving Shelby Rutherford. For the avoidance of any doubt I do not want to see him banned - if he had ridden as Peterborough's no. 7 that would have been normal (although frankly he and some others in the Championship are simply not competitive).

The bigger issue surely though is that the sport is at the same time being diluted too much as a product (horrible term but I can't think of s better one) and eating itself through the doubling up/down rules. My plea is how it can be put right - forget the personalities, I don't much care about Holder and I wish Shelby Rutherford well in finding a team spot in the NL.

• Like 2

It's not only 'short changing' the Peterborough fans, though is it? It's also 'short changing' the Newcastle fans last night and, apparently, the Scunthorpe fans next week, too.

Its the double standards from Rathbone.....complain when he cant use BWD,then turns up without Holder through his own choice

teams trying to re arrange fixtures with boro have struggle to get dates from them because Holder is missing......but of course when it suits him.....

i dont really give a toss who gets banned or fined or what ever,what worrys me it a promotions openness to shaft his own fans and the rest of the league

Holder signed for Boro at start of the season,and that is what it should be,bung or no bung

Edited by montie
  • Like 5

So if Hopwood had been going for his first ever max in Championship and ludde was on 7+1 your saying it's wrong to let a team mate through if they are out in front .......... It's a TEAM sport and shows that there is a team spirit amongst our riders ..... It's not as though Ludde was paid less for doing what he done or it changed the result

That wasn't my point: I'm all for team spirit, but the thing is that Lindgren was only in a position to do what he did because Peterborough's number four was more than half a lap behind, because he is simply uncompetitive at this level. Heat 14 yesterday was not a race in any sensible use of the term: it was two Newcastle riders touring round a head of a knackered Simon Lambert (no fault of his) and a rider who was, quite simply, completely out of his depth.

Its a shame the ref hadn't put the lights on so quick in ht 12, as Robbo might have done the same for Alfie.

Then that would of gave terrace grumbler another thing to grumble about 😉.... Edited for accuracy 😀 Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 1

It's not only 'short changing' the Peterborough fans, though is it? It's also 'short changing' the Newcastle fans last night and, apparently, the Scunthorpe fans next week, too.

Thats the main issue for me, Peterborough knew they were turning up last night without Holder and were rightly denied any guest facility, but Newcastle may have suffered losing out through the turnstiles and they have done nothing wrong.

You're easily pleased, aren't you?

This is supposed to be a competitive sport. Heat 14 summed up a lot of what was wrong with the meeting yesterday Shelby Rutherford should not be riding at championship level because, frankly, he is not up to it (do you seriously think that people should be asked to pay money to watch riders of his level of achievement?) and the fact that Lindgren had time to slow almost to a stop to allow Hopwood to win shows what a farce that heat, and most of the meeting, was. It was like something you would expect to see in a testimonial meeting.

If you think different, then fine, but this really is a case of the emperor's new clothes. In my eyes, yesterday was a shabby excuse for a speedway meeting. Much, if not all, of the plane may be laid at the door of the Peterborough promotion, but it is symptomatic of the way this season has gone.

If you think that I am wrong, perrhaps you would explain to me the reasons why.

No, I would say I pretty much agree with you, but fining Shelby? That's a bit harsh... It's not really his fault that Peteborough had to use a NL guest for Jack Holder, whoever it was, they were always going to struggle... Even JPB would have done... I don;t think Shelby, Ludvig, Ben, or any of the riders there yesterday are at fault, it;s the dodgy rules that need looking at, and I personally, right now, can't be arsed to decide which rules are good, if any, never mind fixing the bad ones...

I personally thought some of the racing was decent last night, that race with Robson and Alfie was shaping up to be another good one before Simon decided to lay down... Chris Harris was a joy to watch, especially in heat 15, no stopping him for Steve... Our big hitters rode well all night, Stake gave it his all and even the likes of Luke Ruddick had a decent race, Simon Lambert was strange, one minute he was really fast, the next second he's getting passed like he's broken down...

But yes, the whole team set up and meeting was a bit of a rip off for the paying public, but the riders made the most of it, I think there was 13 riders who wanted to be there... Unlike a certain Holder... I'd prefer to watch Shelby, because we at least know where his heart is...

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1

Thats the main issue for me, Peterborough knew they were turning up last night without Holder and were rightly denied any guest facility, but Newcastle may have suffered losing out through the turnstiles and they have done nothing wrong.

I should have also added 'short changed' the thousand or so that turned up at Peterborough for the Fours last week, too.

Not only did Newcastle possibly suffer at the turnstiles (although looking 'side on' at the crowd it looked to be about the norm.), they would have had to fork out more on wages for the riders last night compared to if Holder had ridden, due to the extra points they scored by beating Rutherford.

Edited by Steve Park

I should have also added 'short changed' the thousand or so that turned up at Peterborough for the Fours last week, too.

Not only did Newcastle possibly suffer at the turnstiles (although looking 'side on' at the crowd it looked to be about the norm.), they would have had to fork out more on wages for the riders last night compared to if Holder had ridden, due to the extra points they scored by beating Rutherford.

And of course Peterborough save money by not paying out as many points!

They did not short change Berwick on Saturday night, some of the best racing all season.

Holder was there! And a guest for Harris ,that was not the case at Newcastle regarding Holder,they were " short changed" IMO

wow. This is all getting a bit silly now....

But oh so true!!!

lets fine all teams that fail to score 30 points as the poor team that won has to pay their rides more.....