British Speedway Forum

Copied from a Facebook post:

Following is a press release sent to the Speedway Star 3 weeks ago. They have decided not to publish the release, which of course is their prerogative, so I am reproducing the article in full here and now. Please everybody feel free to post on as many Speedway Sites worldwide. ( John Houston) as possible to spread the word. A worldwide TV audience will see the official launch of World Elite Speedway in October 2017,
In an attempt to clarify the situation and stop malicious rumours and ill informed guess work by certain sections of the Speedway media. World Elite Speedway have issued the following statement.
"World Elite Speedway is being set up to take Speedway to new audiences worldwide. The concept is the brainchild of Ducati Moto GP supremo Toni Franchitti. Broadly speaking the series will be staged at locations close to the Moto GP circuits worldwide. Toni who is a very successful Italian businessman has appointed his daughter BIANCA and former Scottish Speedway legend NEIL MACFARLANE as joint Chief Executive Officers.
Neil said that Toni has always had a passion for two wheeled motor sports and when he approached me to help run the project I had no hesitation in accepting the challenge. The riders will come from the top echelon of world speedway whom are available to sign lucrative contracts before the end of this year.
Planning is at an advanced stage with top Speedway personnel from Hungary, Poland, America as well as the United Kingdom already on board. All officials already committed to the project have a wealth of experience from riding at the top level, through team management and promoting, including FIM events.
WES executives have already had meetings with the FIM to discuss the project and more meetings are planned in the near future"
There you have it guys and gals, that should help to clarify the situation and stop ill informed guesswork.

Good to hear they have the top Hungarians taking part!

I assume the reason Speedway Star didn't run it is that it's a hoax?

Perhaps phil rising could respond. But don't think Neil macfarlane does hoaxes

What I'm concerned about is does speedway need another individual competition

I assume the reason Speedway Star didn't run it is that it's a hoax?

EXACTLY ... for example Franchitti isn't the supremo of the Ducati Moto GP team and the yacht he was pictured with actually belongs to ex-BHS boss Philip Green.

• Like 2

Perhaps phil rising could respond. But don't think Neil macfarlane does hoaxes

What I'm concerned about is does speedway need another individual competition

I don't think Neil Macfarlane was the one who distributed the mail. And generally you can't control hoaxes issued by others where they include your name.

A quick google reveals nothing whatsoever about this "series" which is probably an indication of what isn't happennimg

• Like 1

I don't think Neil Macfarlane was the one who distributed the mail. And generally you can't control hoaxes issued by others where they include your name.

A quick google reveals nothing whatsoever about this "series" which is probably an indication of what isn't happennimg

Stranger is i couldn't find out anything about this Franchitti.Only others with the same surname who are in the auto racing business

Edited by iris123

For what is is worth, Toni Franchitti was promoter of Edinburgh Monatchs in the mid 'eighties.

Think he had a wine shop in Edinburgh.Total plonker.

Neil once showed me the way out of shawfield back to the motorway after I guested for Glasgow so as I didn't get lost and get beat up by the locals asking for directions , then on the way home my mechanic fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into an artic lorry and rolled the van , ahh memories

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

Neil once showed me the way out of shawfield back to the motorway after I guested for Glasgow so as I didn't get lost and get beat up by the locals asking for directions , then on the way home my mechanic fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into an attic lorry and rolled the van , ahh memories

The locals would have showed you the way to the motorway after they beat you up,if it's any consolation.Decent lads up there.!!!!

The locals would have showed you the way to the motorway after they beat you up,if it's any consolation.Decent lads up there.!!!!

yea I rode for Glasgow in 2000 at Ashfield and loved it there and only time I felt scared was after a meeting going in the Ashfield pub when Rangers and Celtic were playing

So it seems we can understand the scepticism from the speedway media and it isn't some consipracy theory that they are trying to keep this great new project quiet?Does seem a very big project for two ex Scottish promoters to get off the ground and world tour with presumably new tracks in a lot of these places,unless they are doing a ryanair sort of 'close to the MotoGP circuits worldwide' sorta thing.And a worldwide audience will see the launch might be pinched from BSI publicity!!!! The cheek of it,eh Phil :P

yea I rode for Glasgow in 2000 at Ashfield and loved it there and only time I felt scared was after a meeting going in the Ashfield pub when Rangers and Celtic were playing

That Ashfield pub would scare most people never mind when Rangers and Celtic playing.
  • Like 1

MORE nonsense ...

He claims he raised 22 million Euros for charity event at the San Marino race circuit. On the day he says it took place there was a 24 Hour race and the circuit confirm they had no charity booking for that weekend and have never heard of him.

He claims to be the biggest producer of Canti Prosecco – Canti is a brand name and is produced by exclusively by Fratelli Martini and have a message from them confirming this. we