British Speedway Forum
diamond_ren

Jason Doyle In This Weeks Speedway Star

What do people make of Jason Doyle's comments in the speedway star this week?

He basically says if league racing doesn't go to set nights next season he won't ride here and that the tracks in Sweden and Poland are much safer. Now part of the problem is some of the tracks over here don't have 24/7 access to tracks so some only have a few hours on the day of the meeting to sort the tracks out.

He also says that he prefers to ride in Poland because the riders are safer. Now that's quite disrespectful to some of the riders in the Premiership he once used to crash and fall off a lot, also the amount of times you see him make rash moves it's quite ironic coming from him.

So do we need the big riders over here?

Edited by ren

If that's their attitude no we don't need them. Let them find another training ground on their path to the GPs

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 7

I THINK he has valid points about the condition of tracks in Poland and Sweden. But, of course, they are essentially clubs there, unlike in the UK, and probably in most cases devote more time to track preparation throughout the week rather than just on the day.

Personally I would always prefer having the cream race in Britain but who rides where these days is determined on a financial basis.

Clubs in Sweden are struggling on attendances that for the most part far exceed what we see here. Their overheads, with the exception of what they pay riders, are doubtless far lower. So it is not hard to see where the money is going.

I don't begrudge any speedway rider being paid as much as possible. Compared to other professional sportsmen their net income is painfully low. But everyone in the sport has to cut their cloth to what they can afford and in England that isn't much.

If the tracks in the Premiership remain as they are (unlikely), two fixed nights is a distinct possibility. If the Premiership and Championship amalgamate it is almost impossible and undesirable by many.

If that's their attitude no we don't need them. Let them find another training ground on their path to the GPs

MOST of the riders in the GPs have barely ridden here, if at all. That's a red herring. We are talking about seasoned riders who might enhance the general standard of speedway in this country.

• Like 5

The more one hears from Doyle, the more he reveals a personality and character that is just unpleasant.

I don't like to think of myself as being xenophobic.

But what with him and Holder.

I'd be happy to wave goodbye.

They make me wonder why anyone could come up with the the term 'whinging Pom'.

When these dour Aussies have moaning and bleating down to such a fine art.

They are in a different league.

And perhaps they should stay there.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 7

The more one hears from Doyle, the more he reveals a personality and character that is just unpleasant.

I don't like to think of myself as being xenophobic.

But with him and Holder.

They make me wonder why anyone could come up with the the term 'whinging Pom'.

When these dour Aussies have moaning and bleating down to such a fine art.

They are in a different league.

And perhaps they should stay there.

FROM my own dealings and conversations with Doyle he is far from what you suggest.

Riders are at liberty to work where they want and to seek out the highest payer as no doubt we alll do. What I think he is saying (or at least trying to) is if British speedway wants to employ or re-employ riders who have shunned the UK then it can only happen with set work days. Few of us would expect our employer to only inform us when we were required a few days, if that, in advance. Speedway riders have a diary that they like to work to.

And if you think it is only Aussies and their like complaining about the general state of speedway tracks in this country then while not xenophobic you are definitely burying your head in the sand. Plenty of those who only race here share that opinion.

• Like 1

What do people make of Jason Doyle's comments in the speedway star this week?

He basically says if league racing doesn't go to set nights next season he won't ride here and that the tracks in Sweden and Poland are much safer. Now part of the problem is some of the tracks over here don't have 24/7 access to tracks so some only have a few hours on the day of the meeting to sort the tracks out.

He also says that he prefers to ride in Poland because the riders are safer. Now that's quite disrespectful to some of the riders in the Premiership he once used to crash and fall off a lot, also the amount of times you see him make rash moves it's quite ironic coming from him.

So do we need the big riders over here?

I remember Tai saying that he needed to cut down and he decided to stop riding here because he had more accidents here. I think this obsession with Poland and to a lesser extent Sweden, is ruining things here. We can't alter most tracks and we can't afford big wage bills, the only answer is to leave them to it and go our own way, personally I have no interests in foreign leagues and if riders want to ride over there to the exclusion of riding here, then that's fair enough. What isn't fair enough is riders who can't be bothered riding in their own national championship or representing their country in internationals and that applies to all three (that I'm aware of) who refused to represent us in the SWC in recent years.

• Like 4

The Doyle article really annoyed me. It's yet another example of riders looking only at their own needs and pointing a finger of blame at pretty much everyone and everything else as to why British speedway is in such a state.

The riders have to take a decent proportion of the blame and realise their own selfishness is not helping.

• Like 8

Having ridden a few second halves in the 1980s and failing miserably to make the grade, I would love to see the rider getting paid more.

However, the crowds we get in the UK do not justify the money paid out and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. If this means that some of the big earners don't ride here, then so be it.

What really gets my goat is the number of mediocre riders who ride full time and think that it is their right to do so.

• Like 8

All that you say might well be true , but the Aussies seem hell bent on antagonising all and sundry recently . We had the nonsense at Kings Lynn with Holder and Batchelor , Holder junior only riding for Peterborough when it doesn't clash with Poland , Schlein having a strop about the money paid at the fours , and stropping yet again last night at Peterborough .

They may feel that they are in the right , but it's a kick in the teeth for the country that allowed them the opportunity to become stars .

If the tracks were as bad as holder, doyle, schlein make out why do they continually ride here? If there not happy don't ride here no one forces them. Bet the bspa love schlein granting him to race in the British championships then all he does is castrate everything to do with British speedway

• Like 5

MOST of the riders in the GPs have barely ridden here, if at all. That's a red herring. We are talking about seasoned riders who might enhance the general standard of speedway in this country.

Doyle, Janowski, Woffinden, Lindgren, Lindback, Zagar, Holder, Hancock, Iversen and Pedersen have all done at least 5 seasons in the UK. Many of those have done far more.

That's 10 out of 15 of the current SGP field. That's either a strange definition of "most" or of "barely" that you are using when saying that most of them have barely ridden here.

Now if you had said that most of the new breed of GP riders have barely ridden here, I might have accepted that :D

• Like 1

Doyle, Janowski, Woffinden, Lindgren, Lindback, Zagar, Holder, Hancock, Iversen and Pedersen have all done at least 5 seasons in the UK. Many of those have done far more.

That's 10 out of 15 of the current SGP field. That's either a strange definition of "most" or of "barely" that you are using when saying that most of them have barely ridden here.

Now if you had said that most of the new breed of GP riders have barely ridden here, I might have accepted that :D

Even if you're on about the new breed of gp riders isn't it only Dudek who hasn't ridden here? Pawlicki and Sayfutidnov have unless I've missed anyone out?

too late he's already had his training

I remember Tai saying that he needed to cut down and he decided to stop riding here because he had more accidents here. I think this obsession with Poland and to a lesser extent Sweden, is ruining things here. We can't alter most tracks and we can't afford big wage bills, the only answer is to leave them to it and go our own way, personally I have no interests in foreign leagues and if riders want to ride over there to the exclusion of riding here, then that's fair enough. What isn't fair enough is riders who can't be bothered riding in their own national championship or representing their country in internationals and that applies to all three (that I'm aware of) who refused to represent us in the SWC in recent years.

the obsession is with money nothing else ,

Even if you're on about the new breed of gp riders isn't it only Dudek who hasn't ridden here? Pawlicki and Sayfutidnov have unless I've missed anyone out?

Pawlicki rode here during 3 seasons but only did very short stints in two of those.

Sayfutdinov did about 10 meetings in his one part season.

Zmarzlik has done 1 meeting, Dudek and Vaculik haven't raced here.

I'd accept those all being defined as barely having raced here or not at all.

Pawlicki rode here during 3 seasons but only did very short stints in two of those.

Sayfutdinov did about 10 meetings in his one part season.

Zmarzlik has done 1 meeting, Dudek and Vaculik haven't raced here.

I'd accept those all being defined as barely having raced here or not at all.

Yeah sorry I read your post wrong apologies. Either way though all of the names mentioned above deemed it beneficial to their careers by racing here.