British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

Hammers Vs Stoke 3/9

The hammers lost money at EL level last season. With the risk of no TV money and the loss of a Friday race night, I can't see how top flight racing is viable at arena.

I think the issues at Lakeside go far deeper than we all know. I have never been a fan of the track, but the reasons for a drop to a lower league were of course due to the money being lost over the last few years at Lakeside. Stuart Douglas has been probably the only reason Lakeside are still racing today.

To go from seeing the top riders in the then Elite league to the third tier will of course mean the gates will drop, especially as Rye House had taken the step up to the first tier of British Speedway.

Monday nights at Lakeside would I believe would be a bigger disaster next season, as this year has been. Look at the crowds when Sky Sports Monday meetings were televised, probably similar crowd to yesterday! Thursday race nights, well of course Arena have ridden before on Thursdays with reasonable crowds.

My own personal view would be second division racing, however I can’t see that being much cheaper to run than last year. In the second tier that means they could race when the club want, in conjunction with the stadium owners. However I thought the stadium was under the spotlight as being sold and that was one of the reasons Lakeside went into the NL?

Is there a way forward? If riders such as Jason Doyle don't want to ride next season unless a Monday or Thursday then let them not bother riding here in the UK. But has the UK enough riders to go around without the likes of Doyle and co? It's the GP's that have really hammered British Speedway's in to the depths is currently in. Season's finishing in late August early September is crazy. Long gone are the days when a club would have 30 home meetings a year. At least Kent are running meetings every Monday, who've probably had double the meetings Lakeside have had this season. And what of the Lakeside season ticket holders, have they lost out this year with the club pulling out of the NLKOC?

It’s all a mess at Lakeside, like the rest of British Speedway. As I said at the start of my reply to City Rebel the issues at Lakeside go far deeper than we all know.

• Like 1

The "Voice of Reason" seems to think that a second half with teams from the National League would be free of charge to the promoter.

Far from the case...ALL riders are at the very least semi-professional, so need paying. I note he refers to the current level as "amateur"

How naive is that ? Does he think that Paul, Zach and Ben ride for nothing ?

No, he doesn't think they ride for nothing.

But please enlighten me as to how much they actually do get paid.

But there you go. You are clearly happy enough to pay money and watch 15 heats of a drawn-out borefest.

So let's do nothing. Everything will work out fine; gates will increase sooner or later, as a raft of newbies discover what excellent VFM speedway now delivers.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

So is Mr.douglas going to bankroll this return to the top flight, or is there a new sugar daddy in the pipeline.

Can anyone actually confirm 100% that Stuart Douglas still owns the franchise?

As somebody that has switched from lakeside to Rye I have to ask myself several questions:

1. Journey time - Rye is 15 minutes further.

2. Cost - Rye is cheaper than Lakeside (last year) for admittance and program

3. Officials - Rye staff always seem happy and part of a team

4. Promoters - Huge respect from what they are trying to achieve at Rye and I just cannot trust Cook ever again. To much negativity and talking rubbish.

5. Viewing - Much closer viewing and plenty of seating at Rye

6. Weather - Rye stadium is much better protected from the weather

7. Atmosphere - Positive atmosphere and sense of belonging at Rye. The opposite at Lakeside

8. Racing - Maybe its the better viewing but I think the racing is better at Rye. The comments following the TV match were very positive.

Before anyone says where is your loyalty, well that will always be for Waterden Road.

So will I be back, Nope.

• Like 1

Ok, Kev, so in your case your loyalty is to Waterden Road, not Lakeside, so fair enough. But for those whose loyalty is to Lakeside, supporting another team is unthinkable, and the facilities and everything else don't even come into it.

Incidentally, a few years ago, when Stuart Douglas first arrived, Lakeside was buzzing too; let's see if Rye is still the same in a few years' time (and I truly hope it is).

Edited by Prince Regent
  • Like 1

Your assuming Loyalty is blind but it is not, if the experiance you are used to changes or no longer meets your requirements then its quite possible some will seek those experiances elsewhere but more often than not they will simply drift away and not go anywhere else.

I have to quote your bit about Stuart Douglas and the place being lifted, that is totally correct and even when the road got a bit bumpy he would be able to address the fans and we knew, yes, this will be ok eventually, he was well respected and more importantly he was trusted with his words, he wasn't tainted like the old school speedway administrations.

Unfortunately since the apparent departure of Mr Douglas, that's where things have taken a turn, few trusts Jon Cook, his words are meaningless, he shows little to no charisma, and he clearly does not want supporters to have a voice, its his way or the highway and that's that.

I can't believe any loyal fan of any sport would go and support another team because the facilities are better or the manager comes across better. I can't get my head around people just jumping from one team to another, maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

I think the problem is, a lot of the lakeside crowd used to support other teams, me included. Therefore it's a lot easier to jump ship, if you are just going to watch the racing without any bond to the team.

• Like 1

Having driven second-hand Mercs for years, and being a passionate advocate of the three-pointed Stuttgart Star, just over 2 years ago, I bought a 15yo second-hand Jag.

It's manufactured faultlessly, hasn't got a mark on it and still drives like new.

I wouldn't go back to a Mercedes if they were giving them away. They are rust buckets! I knew it - but was in denial for years.

So yep I saw the light. And people can, and indeed DO, change allegiances Liam - if and when you find something a whole lot better.

As somebody that has switched from lakeside to Rye I have to ask myself several questions:

1. Journey time - Rye is 15 minutes further.

2. Cost - Rye is cheaper than Lakeside (last year) for admittance and program

3. Officials - Rye staff always seem happy and part of a team

4. Promoters - Huge respect from what they are trying to achieve at Rye and I just cannot trust Cook ever again. To much negativity and talking rubbish.

5. Viewing - Much closer viewing and plenty of seating at Rye

6. Weather - Rye stadium is much better protected from the weather

7. Atmosphere - Positive atmosphere and sense of belonging at Rye. The opposite at Lakeside

8. Racing - Maybe its the better viewing but I think the racing is better at Rye. The comments following the TV match were very positive.

Before anyone says where is your loyalty, well that will always be for Waterden Road.

So will I be back, Nope.

Most of the points you quote have always been there,not just this year. Although primarily a Lakeside supporter I have always reckoned to go to Rye occasionally when the weather is nice. I wouldn't say the viewing is better or worse than Lakeside, just different. I like the all round view of the track at Lakeside but I enjoy getting close to the action at Rye.

But I couldn't be bothered to go to Rye at all this year and have struggled to motivate myself to go to Lakeside. Nothing to do with either club particularly, more to do with the state of British speedway. In all honesty look at what's gone on at Kings Lynn under the stewardship, of that half wit Buster Chapman who also masquerades as BSPA chairman. Look closer to home at Rye. Ellis Perks did nothing wrong but they still sacked him.Ed Kennett gets sacked by Rye but turns up at Poole, who sack Kriystof Kasprzak, who, when the music stops, turns up at Rye House as a RESERVE, if you please. Surely the ultimate farce, a World class rider, World Cup squad member slotted in at reserve because of some jiggery pokerry with averages. Similar things going on all over the place, and that's before we start talking about teams packed with guests. Call, it what you will but please don't call it sport.

Having driven second-hand Mercs for years, and being a passionate advocate of the three-pointed Stuttgart Star, just over 2 years ago, I bought a 15yo second-hand Jag.

It's manufactured faultlessly, hasn't got a mark on it and still drives like new.

I wouldn't go back to a Mercedes if they were giving them away. They are rust buckets! I knew it - but was in denial for years.

So yep I saw the light. And people can, and indeed DO, change allegiances Liam - if and when you find something a whole lot better.

If having a seat to sit on at Rye is a whole lot better then fair enough I won't argue with that but let's be honest I have seen Rye fans moaning about how poor the racing is and also seen them slating the promotion for not having a clue so I hardly think it's all singing and dancing over there. I have changed cars lots of times just like I have my shoes and clothes and even my women but I would never change the team I support they are in my DNA and Iam sure 99% of people are the same. The only way we will really find out is wait until next season if Lakeside do go back to the top league. Edited by liam

Ive always admired the passion and determination shown by many to attend every week no matter what & travel to away matches no matter the cost, time etc just for the pure love of their team but sadly that just isn't me.

Kent is obviously closer to me and therefore watch more of my speedway there but i am a fan of the sport first and foremost. I will travel to watch a decent match up between two teams who provide entertainment at what ever track that may be.

I stopped attending Kent matches when the results became very one sided as i have o interest in watching the home team dominate each week and for that reason i have failed to make any of my planned visits to Lakeside this year.