British Speedway Forum
dantodan

1st October 2017 Newcastle Diamonds V Workington Comets Championship

Meeting off according to the BSPA website any further news?

Your absence will be duly noted, and we will expect a written letter of explanation next week mind lol

Turned up at 6.45 to hand deliver my letter early, but amazed to discover it was off. Another meaningless fixture to rearrange - and we still haven't seen Josh in a Number 1 race jacket!

• Like 2

Not really surprised to see this meeting off today. 2 weeks ago it had to be called off with the track sodden with rainwater and despite new shale it would not dry out. Last week we were working on the airfence and Moxey had to pump off the puddles that were on the insides of both sets of corners. Since then there has been frequent rain, some quite heavy, and rain was forecast for today. More dry shale and no rain during the day and there was expectations that it could proceed, but late rain after 6.00pm put paid to those expectations.

So one more fixture to fit in with the loss of one the 4 available Sundays. I can understand the late calloff as I would think that all parties would have wanted to get a meeting run despite everything.

So it's next Monday at 7.30pm against Glasgow in the Cup. No rain please.

Not really surprised to see this meeting off today. 2 weeks ago it had to be called off with the track sodden with rainwater and despite new shale it would not dry out. Last week we were working on the airfence and Moxey had to pump off the puddles that were on the insides of both sets of corners. Since then there has been frequent rain, some quite heavy, and rain was forecast for today. More dry shale and no rain during the day and there was expectations that it could proceed, but late rain after 6.00pm put paid to those expectations.

So one more fixture to fit in with the loss of one the 4 available Sundays. I can understand the late calloff as I would think that all parties would have wanted to get a meeting run despite everything.

So it's next Monday at 7.30pm against Glasgow in the Cup. No rain please.

I realise the problem we have of access to the track during the week, but has anyone ever been brought in to give an opinion on the drainage situation with the track, I beleive I'm right in saying there are drains on both bends, I understand the cost implications of doing something but surely this would be offset by not as many postponed meetings.

I realise the problem we have of access to the track during the week, but has anyone ever been brought in to give an opinion on the drainage situation with the track, I beleive I'm right in saying there are drains on both bends, I understand the cost implications of doing something but surely this would be offset by not as many postponed meetings.

thats something I have also asked about, surely there must be a viable option to help ease the problem of the 'standing water'.

Edited by ruffdiamond

This isn't a BSPA rule (concerning Robert):

http://www.newcastlediamonds.co/news/article.asp?id=100781

unbelievable ..............

that reply just about sums up why speedway is where is it is

so who is stopping Newcastle fielding a replacement ?

have the authorities thought about implementing a simple rule change to allow such a facility

eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr nooooooooooo

lets just stick our heads in the sand

lets serve up .... utter garbage and hide behind the rules ....or sorry there isn't a rule for this situation ....... utter crap ..... use a bit of intelligence and common sense for pitys sake

it is utter crap ............... boy does this sport need a Bernie ecclestone to knock together the heads of promoters and give this great sport of ours a chance to survive

for the last 5 years ...everyone is banging on about falling attendances yet every winter the promoters say we are listening to the fans and do sod all as the good promoters are overruled but the selfish ones

I defy anyone (apart from Sheffield - and congrats to them) to say that this debacle of a league set up has been a success

after 4 weeks we could all have predicted the top 4 ...

the debacle of the pairs ......... rained off when it shouldn't and then put at Sheffield (what imagination) .... why not redcar, Berwick, Scunthorpe or dare I say Newcastle

the joke of the 10 team no 8 team no yes its the 10 team 4 team tournament ............... although it was a cracking meeting ......... the bspa covered themselves in glory........ not

the riders championship awarded to the most northern track in the league .... beggars belief .... and at a track with the worst parking facilities ..... even worse than ours

Edited by mauger65
  • Like 3

I see Embleton was due to ride at No 1.

Can't have rained in Poland today then!

luckily rained in Newcastle though ...............

It is a disgrace the way if the last three home fixtures had/do go ahead we find ourselves in the same situation, I for one hope this meeting is also rained off or whatever it takes to get either Robert or suitable replacement for him!

You got what you wanted. I hope you're happy.

Edited by Steve Park
  • Like 1

TRACK COVERS by crescent girl

As fast a they were pumping water off the track more water was coming UP through the track. The problem Newcastle have is the greyhound track is higher than the speedway track and it drains onto and under speedway track resulting in the water coming from underneath. Putting covers on won't work a well as at Berwick (where the speedway track is higher than the pitch) as the water will just seep through from underneath the covers.

There probably is a solution, but whether the stadium owners would allow any work to be done in this respect is doubtful as it would certainly disrupt the greyhounds.

I see Embleton was due to ride at No 1.

Can't have rained in Poland today then!

Wouldn't have made any difference whether it rained in Poland or not.

steve ............. I so look forward to your next reply ....................... come on .... defend the indefensible

All my point was, you said that it was a BSPA ruling, and I was just pointing out that it wasn't. In fact the BSPA wanted to help us, but couldn't due, to the rules of a 'higher authority.' Maybe it will be on the agenda of this years AGM to change that?

Perhaps (and I don't know) Sheffield were the only team to ask about hosting the Pairs?

Meanwhile the Club has issued a statement concerning tonight (Taken from the Website and I think it's the same one on Facebook):

Tonight's home clash against the Workington Comets has been postponed.

We can only apologise for the late call off of tonight’s meeting. Our trackstaff worked from 7.30 this morning pumping standing water from the surface and preparing the track for the meeting. Unfortunately when the meeting referee met with the riders, they unanimously agreed that despite all of the work done, the track was deemed unfit for racing. With rider safety paramount there was no other option but to postpone the meeting. We can only apologise again and we will announce the restaging date as soon as we can.

Edited by Steve Park

As fast a they were pumping water off the track more water was coming UP through the track. The problem Newcastle have is the greyhound track is higher than the speedway track and it drains onto and under speedway track resulting in the water coming from underneath. Putting covers on won't work a well as at Berwick (where the speedway track is higher than the pitch) as the water will just seep through from underneath the covers.

MANSE was being sarcastic as Dick sorry Crescent Girl continually comes on telling us all the obvious.

What he fails to mention is if it is raining at start time or during a meeting track covers are about as useful as well track covers in the rain which is not very.

You got what you wanted. I hope you're happy.

Yes I am & I hope that this is the last time for this farce, I also hold the factor that we now are looking low on dates for all fixtures to be completed before the end of the season at the promotions door, as there is at least two fixtures they chose not to run one being the Newcastle United promoted, and the other Cardiff weekend so sorry but they now have to suffer the consequences IMO.

• Like 1

As fast a they were pumping water off the track more water was coming UP through the track. The problem Newcastle have is the greyhound track is higher than the speedway track and it drains onto and under speedway track resulting in the water coming from underneath. Putting covers on won't work a well as at Berwick (where the speedway track is higher than the pitch) as the water will just seep through from underneath the covers..

does the drainage problem at Newcastle have anything to do with the 'soil type' that makes up the inside of the bends/centre green.

other than natural drainage, is there any other drainage there ?

BTW,,, Josh must feel like a right jinx ;)