British Speedway Forum

Does anyone know what the rational was behind the one 8pt rider rule ?

One would assume the board members think it will improve the product but I'm struggling to see how 

• Like 1

It was proposed by some of the 'weaker' teams to make the SGBP more competitive, on the basis that if all 8 teams had a chance to realistically compete for the title then crowds wouldn't fall away!?

Thanks for the update 

I've put that into into the grey matter and it doesn't make sense to me 

To my mind the original  rules give everybody an equal chance , well certainly at the start of the season .

This for me will make the racing duller , some teams used to be top heavy but this created variety ..

If membership of the board was performance related then they should resign and get some young blood into the equation.

British Speedway is on a downward spiral which is only sustained by us oldies who remember the good times .

• Thanks 1

It’s the first time in over twenty years that Belle Vue have finished with two riders over eight. 

4 minutes ago, ouch said:

It’s the first time in over twenty years that Belle Vue have finished with two riders over eight. 

Your not the only team though are you. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ouch said:

What, to have two riders over eight once in twenty years?

well done you have two riders over eight but your not the only team to be compromised by the new rules.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gillinmot said:

Thanks for the update 

I've put that into into the grey matter and it doesn't make sense to me 

To my mind the original  rules give everybody an equal chance , well certainly at the start of the season .

This for me will make the racing duller , some teams used to be top heavy but this created variety ..

If membership of the board was performance related then they should resign and get some young blood into the equation.

British Speedway is on a downward spiral which is only sustained by us oldies who remember the good times .

Giving 'everybody an equal chance' pre-supposes that they all start from the same financial base and all have similar opportunities to increase income/attendance.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Giving 'everybody an equal chance' pre-supposes that they all start from the same financial base and all have similar opportunities to increase income/attendance.

And  not all teams have the same asset base, so those with the most assets will be the most profitable,.

How many clubs have more than ten assets? Probably only Poole, who have about thirty (in the best interests of speedway). :)

14 minutes ago, DC2 said:

How many clubs have more than ten assets? Probably only Poole, who have about thirty (in the best interests of speedway). :)

Must be more than thirty!

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Most probably do (well many) since many clubs have riders who no longer ride on their retained list

Finished 2017 with a battered team that looked unstoppable but injuries cost them and the form of the two Swedes couldn't be replaced and thoughts went straight to who they get to team up with Freddie and Jacob in 2018.

Rory Schlein had become a firm favourite on and off track and thoughts were he would get the call over Sam Masters and there was little doubt Kyle Howarth and Nathan Greaves would be back as both improved dramatically during the season. 

However when hen it became clear that only one of the Abba twins could return and a limit of 42.5 was in place, it meant bringing in a 3-4 point rider to replace them or rebalance the team in order to fit in with what others could field and signing Sam, Rory and Kyle straight away gave them two ways to go.

sign Freddie or Jacob and have a weak tail end or go with a strong and equal top five and a strong but potential reserve. In the end they have opted to replace Freddie with local lad Ashley Morris who hasn't progressed much over the years and bought in Cameron Heaps to replace Mark Riss and give the Monmore team a look of the outback with Three Aussies lining up with the Three Brits and for the first time in ages, only one Swede !

Personally I think if they were going to name Freddie or Jacob, they needed to release either Rory or Sam and bring in a stronger middle order leaving a decent top five and more strength in depth and potential rather than two low order riders. 

Poole already look strong with Woryna on a very false average that should really be at least two points higher going on his improvement since 2016 and Mateusz S is also better than the rider from a few years ago and has challenged big names in big competition over recent years. Will Buczkowski be the next on a low average to back up the two Auusies (possibly three) but either way they already look much stronger than Wolves.

Swindon are also rebuilding with much the same but didn't have as much to drop and look to be strong already until the mid season rotation .