British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Wolves -v Belle Vue 10th/11th October Ko Cup Final

I think if a team has three or more members missing or if the total with both teams combined is four or more then the fixture shouldn't be run. Filling gaps with guests has been far to easy recently and has resulted in riders missing meetings willy nilly.

The current situation with Wolves is quite unique imo as all the riders involved are injured. There is no prospect of rearranging this tie within the current season so I think steps should have been taken to make the Wolves team at least feel like a Wolves team. The inclusion of Wells fits the bill and I would have been happy to see Tai. R/R for another spot would leave only one potential "foreigner" in the wolf pack and I hope give their fans something to genuinely get behind.

One side note I'd like to make is that comments about how uninterested fans are about this competition do not contribute to the greater good and should be kept to yourself. A potential sponsor toying with the idea of becoming involved would soon turn away as would any floating supporter.

Constructive criticism, yes.

Blind pessimism, no.

I don't think any prospective Sponsor worth their salt would gauge the benefits of getting involved in the Sport from this Forum....

If they did, they probably wouldn't be worth getting involved with anyway given their lack of detailed, quality research....

But just supposing they did, in the past few weeks....

They would have read on here that the KO Cup Final was being contested by two teams with only eight out of fourteen contracted riders there...

They would also have read that the Promotion/Relegation play off was being contested by teams who share the same riders meaning they could effectively relegate themselves by scoring points.....

They would have also have read about a Club being massively fined for letting one of their riders miss a meeting to ride in Poland whilst also reading that another rider was allowed to miss a fixture to do the same without any punishment...

And they would also have read about how an afternoon weather change in Poland one Sunday effected the rules of how a meeting in Newcastle ended up being ran....

All factual information remember, not subjective opinion...

No amount of negativity on here could do the amount of damage to the Sport that such an 'operating model' could...

(And each week does)...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

As a neutral I enjoyed last nights meeting. It was well run with some hard fought racing. On the downside, £21 including prog is far too expensive for the product on offer, multiple guests and double R/R was never going to pull in the punters.

Bloody hell Fred,yet another new account/alias. Give it a rest, you shame all of the decent Aces fans,which is all of them, except you.

Really pleased that we managed to end the season with a home win, particularly with a hotch potch league select side. And that is it now till march.☹️

Not gonna lie I have no idea who Fred is. Would someone really set up a new account and have over 400 posts?
  • Like 1

The fans continue to vote with their feet.

No one is interested in the KO Cup.

I think its more to do with the disappointment of the final last week and half your team missing tbh.

I hear our Guests are Lawson, Nicholls and Erik Riss anyway. Was going to be Wells as well but they had already booked Nicholls for both meetings which was a bad move as he isn't good around the NSS.

Thats even weaker than using the same guests as last night, but im not convinced this will be on, bbc weather has it raining 9am until 10pm so if correct looks like we will be on Monday.

I think its more to do with the disappointment of the final last week and half your team missing tbh.

Thats even weaker than using the same guests as last night, but im not convinced this will be on, bbc weather has it raining 9am until 10pm so if correct looks like we will be on Monday.

Would that be 'allowed' against the televised 2nd leg of Leicester v Sheffield? :unsure:

Nicholls l, Lawson and Riss guest for wolves tonight. Very surprised by them choices.

Ko cup might not mean anything to some wolves fans but for me it's a trophy that I want to win, and we must win. We have not won anything for ages

Edited by Phil The Ace

I think if a team has three or more members missing or if the total with both teams combined is four or more then the fixture shouldn't be run. Filling gaps with guests has been far to easy recently and has resulted in riders missing meetings willy nilly.

The current situation with Wolves is quite unique imo as all the riders involved are injured. There is no prospect of rearranging this tie within the current season so I think steps should have been taken to make the Wolves team at least feel like a Wolves team. The inclusion of Wells fits the bill and I would have been happy to see Tai. R/R for another spot would leave only one potential "foreigner" in the wolf pack and I hope give their fans something to genuinely get behind.

One side note I'd like to make is that comments about how uninterested fans are about this competition do not contribute to the greater good and should be kept to yourself. A potential sponsor toying with the idea of becoming involved would soon turn away as would any floating supporter.

Constructive criticism, yes.

Blind pessimism, no.

We often disagree, but everything you say here is 100% sense.

• Like 1

Nicholls l, Lawson and Riss guest for wolves tonight. Very surprised by them choices.

Ko cup might not mean anything to some wolves fans but for me it's a trophy that I want to win, and we must win. We have not won anything for ages

You certainly should against our patched up side, especially with those choice of Guests.

I don't think any prospective Sponsor worth their salt would gauge the benefits of getting involved in the Sport from this Forum....

If they did, they probably wouldn't be worth getting involved with anyway given their lack of detailed, quality research....

But just supposing they did, in the past few weeks....

They would have read on here that the KO Cup Final was being contested by two teams with only eight out of fourteen contracted riders there...

They would also have read that the Promotion/Relegation play off was being contested by teams who share the same riders meaning they could effectively relegate themselves by scoring points.....

They would have also have read about a Club being massively fined for letting one of their riders miss a meeting to ride in Poland whilst also reading that another rider was allowed to miss a fixture to do the same without any punishment...

And they would also have read about how an afternoon weather change in Poland one Sunday effected the rules of how a meeting in Newcastle ended up being ran....

All factual information remember, not subjective opinion...

No amount of negativity on here could do the amount of damage to the Sport that such an 'operating model' could...

(And each week does)...

I wasn't at all suggesting that a prospective sponsor would use this forum as their only form of research but it not inconceivable that it could form some part of it.

As to the other points they are all true but it's highly unlikely they would be read by someone only interested in one particular fixture.

The point put across by many is that no one is interested in the KO Cup irrespective of who's missing or what teams or involved. It's this I take issue with.

Very strange choice of guests for the second leg. I can't see Nicholls or E Riss scoring more than 6-8 points and could be a few less. Lawson doesn't do well at the NSS but he is a good gater and if it's wet he could get a few wins. Wells also doesn't score a lot at the NSS so I don't think he would have done any better. Peter Adams is an excellent team manager and so often gets the best out of riders so maybe he knows something and all of the guests will be outstanding.

The forecast is still poor although not quite as bad. Could be heavy rain throughout the day until about 4/5pm, although it is possible that it may miss the NSS.

I understand those complaining about the number of guests and r/r but in this instance the BSPA and their rules are not to blame. Injuries happen and it is just very unfortunate that Wolves have so many riders on the injured list.

The rain is missing us at mo. It's very windy that's helping it move direction.

We will get some heavy rain but no where near any that was forecasts.

We have had no rain yet

Definitely a contributing factor but remember this is a 'Final'...

I think overall, running a 'guestfest' Final would have negatively impacted the crowd level much, much more..

The 'Wolves' team(s) used will have destroyed any credible standing the event had in the eyes of many of the fans..

Maybe more home fans will attend the second leg as the Aces didn't reach the PO Final so winning the KO Cup might be seen as some consolation by some Aces fans? ..

It isn't really is it though? Given its not really 'Wolves' that we are racing against..

And if the Sport's guardians don't take one of their Finals seriously, why should the fans?

I have asked previously without much success (not of you, just in general) what crowds have been like for any of the KO meetings? General consensus seems that crowds have been poor. Which kinda backs up my point.

Be interesting to see if Aces fans turn up for this one tonight.

It might have a factor I agree, but I don't think crowds are there to support this competition. Hopefully they will tonight.

Well if Riss jr rides tonight like he did at Sheffield on monday he won't trouble the scorers :nono:

Wasn't Nicholls 'discarded' by the Aces for 2017 primarily due to his form at the NSS? :unsure:

Tonight may not be a good guide as I suspect the weather will put off many.

The problem with the KO Cup is that this year and in the more recent years before it was taken out of the calendar, the BSPA have treated it with a degree of contempt, leaving the final and sometimes the semi finals, to be fitted in at the tail end of the season when it could have been finished much earlier. The same applies to the League Riders Final, which has been discredited by the many late changes, although the Premiership meeting this year was almost as programmed.

The BSPA need to ensure that both competitions are shown to be important official competitions and treat them accordingly. It will take time but more fans are then likely to support them.

Can a Wolverhampton fan explain why Craig Cook was getting so much abuse after heat 13 & 15, what has he done?