British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geoff100

Set Days The Ruin Of The Championship

is it because, an 8.5 ave. rider on £100 pt,,, is better than an 8.5 ave. rider on £50 pt ? ;)

No it’s because other clubs cannot afford the 5k signing on fee.

No it’s because other clubs cannot afford the 5k signing on fee.

ahh,,, so its the signing on fee that makes them better ? ;)

ahh,,, so its the signing on fee that makes them better ? ;)

Well if you cannot see the advantage their is no point in explaining it further.

Well if you cannot see the advantage their is no point in explaining it further.

no, there's no need to explain.

• Like 1

I'm going to half defend Glasgow here, the average system means it is not possible to have a win at all costs attitude. They have built a team that they think will win which is the same as most if not all other teams. They have an advantage in that if 2 teams go for the same rider they will almost certainly offer more money which will be a significant factor for most riders. But with bigger salaries comes more responsibility and we have seen/heard of a couple of riders where more money didn't turn out to be a good choice. As for riders negotiating saying so and so get £x at Glasgow it's no longer relevant as Glasgow cannot sign them they already have their 7 riders set.

If there was 1 combination of riders with no worries about logistics/contract/availability that was cast iron guaranteed to win the league then everyone would pick that 7 in fantasy league teams but there isn't so I am confident that there will be several teams good enough to win the league. It's hard to compare teams at this stage but of the 2 teams that have declared all 7 riders I prefer the Ipswich team to Glasgow and I see other teams with the potential to be as good if not better than both. This is all before you take into account lack of form, injuries, bad luck, etc. An injury at the wrong time ruins everything just ask Wolves at the end of last season.

But the point of the set days is to stop the issue of doubling up riders missing matches and I think it is a massive step forward for the league. An example is Sheffield coming to Armadale, they raced 3 times last season including the cup and Josh Grajczonek was racing for Somerset on all 3 nights. He's a cracking rider but not quite as good at Armadale so on all 3 occasions Sheffield strengthened their number 1 ran us very close twice and won the last match, there is no way Josh G would have scored what Harris scored that night.

You can count on one hand the number of teams that turned up to race Edinburgh with their full 1-7 last season. I am led to believe there will be harsher punishments for riders who miss meeting for non speedway related injuries and illnesses so hopefully this will change significantly next year and the team that rides the best (as Sheffield did last season) win the league.

• Like 6

The Grajczonek situation was ridiculous seeing as Somerset had so many Fridays without a home match. Some of the fixture arrangements were done without common sense, or perhaps when those responsible were half cut.