British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Brummies v Bee's Wed 30th May NT

BIRMINGHAM: Tom Bacon, Layne Cupitt, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, Callum Walker, Danyon Hume, Arran Butcher, Leon Flint.

COVENTRY: Connor Mountain, Luke Harris, Luke Ruddick, Danny Phillips, Jon Armstrong, Jamie Halder, Stephen Whitehouse.

50-40 to the brummies  ..can see plenty of 3-3 heats but not many bees heat advantages tbh . 

I expect mountain to score 13-14 he goes well round PB but a rider who doesn't is jon Armstrong so I'd expect our big 3/4 in you count leon to have the beating of him ..

Second strings should be fairly even as we always say it's a case of cuppitt bingo from heat to heat which one will come out onto the track.

At reserve i think we have the upper hand also with leon been the pick of the four and Aaron should have the beating of Stephen who i would imagine will only take 3 rides...

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

Historically Bees have always come up short in sorting out replacement cover, things don't change unfortunately.  When you're trying to impress the supporters you need to dig deeper to survive. 

Armstrong always seem to have problems with his engines when he rides at Perry Barr, so I don't think we have seen the best of him in previous visits. Am optimistic about another Brummies win - but am not counting my chickens! Coventry do have quite a solid combination which is quite capable to springing a surprise - as witness their win against Cradley at Monmore which not many would have expected.

2 hours ago, Fundinfan said:

Historically Bees have always come up short in sorting out replacement cover, things don't change unfortunately.  When you're trying to impress the supporters you need to dig deeper to survive. 

They probably fell foul of the rule that it has to be an unattached rider (3.00) and had very limited choice . 

Well Mr Horton, that was not acceptable tonight for a Coventry team even at a stronghold like Perry Barr.  It was obvious that your number seven was not competitive from his last outing at Birmingham and for an established rider and captain to boot, to score four points is putting two fingers up to your travelling supporters. There are no excuses for tonight and I'm sure that once again another loss will damage  what you are trying to achieve with the Bees. Make changes before it's too late , a winning team is the only answer to your predicament. More thought is needed in what you need to do in bringing more supporters back to support this team.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fundinfan said:

Well Mr Horton, that was not acceptable tonight for a Coventry team even at a stronghold like Perry Barr.  It was obvious that your number seven was not competitive from his last outing at Birmingham and for an established rider and captain to boot, to score four points is putting two fingers up to your travelling supporters. There are no excuses for tonight and I'm sure that once again another loss will damage  what you are trying to achieve with the Bees. Make changes before it's too late , a winning team is the only answer to your predicament. More thought is needed in what you need to do in bringing more supporters back to support this team.

Jon Armstrong never goes well around Perry barr for some reason so that performance was expected to be fair and he has been scoring well in most he's meetings. Getting a replacement at number 7 is always difficult for all national league clubs as it has to be an unattached 3.00 rider and I feel whoever was selected you would be saying the same thing . I was very impressed with Luke ruddick he has come on a lot in the last year which is great to see ...

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Fundinfan said:

Just out of interest ,who would you of picked to guest at 7 for the bees ? 

• Like 1

In fairness its not just who a club would have picked but who was available / agreed to ride against Birmingham as its no secret you are in for a tough night against Flint. That said Whitehouse is known for his has bikes will travel attitude and if a little of that transferred into his riding ability it might have been different. As for name suggestions i would have thought Luke Whitehead or Connor King both ride Brum better than the selected option.

9 hours ago, Fundinfan said:

Eh? Rules are different in the NL, you can't just get the likes of Drew Kemp to guest for MacDonald, they have to be an unattahed 3 pointer. Riders do have poor meetings occasionally, Jon Armstrong has upped his average by almost a point and you won't see many sides getting 37 points at Birmingham. They are very strong in the heat leader department and of course they have Leon Flint. It must also be stressed that Coventry were only able to start their team building once we were fully accepted in the league way after other sides start putting there's together. It was always going to be difficult competing at the very top this season and crowd sizes will dictate some of that also. That's not to say there won't be future changes when averages allow in a month or two.

Edited by Woz01
  • Like 2

Whilst the only team to push Brum at home this season (Mildenhall) was cut the short the rest of the visitors have not yet managed to better 38 as a total and that was Kent who Coventry are on par with / slightly below IMO. Its certainly hard to see where changes could be made as dropping the legendary Jon Armstrong is like shooting the school rabbit and is a rider who is worth 3-4 points a meeting with his off track work as well as on it. Harris & Ruddick are scoring well and the additional heatleaders are not in abundance. There is also not a Flint style reserve sat around waiting for a team spot and its a 10 point plus swing that would have been required to get something from this meeting. 

There will be highs and lows for the Cov side this year but entertainment should be abundant throughout and solid building blocks put in place ahead of next season. Brum have had the worst low this year so long may their rise continue and good luck to them. 

• Like 2

Forget the final score Coventry fans and praise your team for its efforts last night.

coventry gave us a really hard match despite the final score line. They certainly came to win and were so determined early doors. We were given a gating lesson early on and so much so that several Bees rides were pulled back for jumping the start whilst several other got away with fliers 

Luke Ruddick in particular impressed. Tried his socks off. Some superb battles between Hume and Mountain.

once we stopped throwing away silly points by needless falls, we were always going to win but, I felt you gave us our hardest match other than Mildenhall 

As for choosing Stephen Whitehouse, THANKS!!! We at  Brum, have seen more of him than most have and frankly, he’s NEVER going to make it, not even at this level. Embarrassing lack of speed and technique. Over three quarters of a lap behind in each race and going backwards!!

Having said  that about Whitehouse, it just shows the stupidity of the rules. We snd others have deliberately scheduled all our league fixtures late do as to keep “star” reserves such as Flint and Kemp /  Edwards, at  reserve until late June, early July!! How  stupid is the rule where National Trophy and!, KOC cup matches don’t count towards Official Green sheet averages?

As suggested by Sings, there are not many options you could have used at number 7, but all of them would have been better than Whitehouse!!

A good meeting, some great races and a really good show from BOTH teams 

• Like 2

Last night's meeting was the most entertaining and competitive I have seen this season, and both sets of riders should be congratulated on their efforts. Birmingham deserved to win in the end, but it was never plain sailing, and the final scoreline does not fairly reflect the Coventry riders contribution to a cracking speedway match. 

It's a great pity that for so-called "political" reasons, so many Coventry supporters refuse to support this Bees team. I do understand the reasons, but I think Bees fans should set aside these and give their team their backing. They really don't appreciate what they are missing by staying away.

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

Last night's meeting was the most entertaining and competitive I have seen this season, and both sets of riders should be congratulated on their efforts. Birmingham deserved to win in the end, but it was never plain sailing, and the final scoreline does not fairly reflect the Coventry riders contribution to a cracking speedway match. 

It's a great pity that for so-called "political" reasons, so many Coventry supporters refuse to support this Bees team. I do understand the reasons, but I think Bees fans should set aside these and give their team their backing. They really don't appreciate what they are missing by staying away.

Given that the bees have a promoter who is considered by many many bees fans to have aided & abetted Brandon Estates in their attempts to gain planning permission for Brandon it's extremely unlikely that they will be handing over any of their " hard earned" to support the guy . IMO

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Woz01 said:

Eh? Rules are different in the NL, you can't just get the likes of Drew Kemp to guest for MacDonald, they have to be an unattahed 3 pointer. Riders do have poor meetings occasionally, Jon Armstrong has upped his average by almost a point and you won't see many sides getting 37 points at Birmingham. They are very strong in the heat leader department and of course they have Leon Flint. It must also be stressed that Coventry were only able to start their team building once we were fully accepted in the league way after other sides start putting there's together. It was always going to be difficult competing at the very top this season and crowd sizes will dictate some of that also. That's not to say there won't be future changes when averages allow in a month or two.

At least there’s a realistic Bees assessment on here. The lads have done well overall this season considering the unique limitations there are in this league. 

• Like 2