British Speedway Forum
Normski

Berwick v Workington Championship & Border Trophy 7/7/18. 7pm

4 minutes ago, screm said:

Most Berwick have supported their team though, through thin and thin recently but there comes a point where the cost of admission isn`t worth what you are watching on track. Last season on many Saturday nights I walked out of Shielfield Park feeling I had value for money, even when we lost. This season that hasent happened anywhere near as many times, so you could ask what are they doing different in track prep from last season to this. 

You could ask:nono:

This may sound brutal but if you have alternative sources of income as a rider then the hunger diminishes this no way excuses all but some. I left last week disgusted at the effort I didn’t go this week and I ain’t no football fan I doubt I will be back along with many others. Sorry it’s not the money it’s the entertainment and the effort that’s lacking.

• Like 1

Didn't hear anything announced last night as to whether Theo Pijper will be with us next Saturday. He is due to race in the Longtrack GP in Holland next Sunday, meeting starts at 12-30pm with practice at 9am.

1 hour ago, DSC67 said:

Three consecutive weeks Berwick gave lost a 1-5 in ht 15 , strength in depth is all good and well but you still need a rider you can rely on to win the important heats 

cant afford £ 15 dont think iam  missing  much  with more crap at every  match 

Maybe its just against Worky but  from what i've seen in recent seasons if you aren't in the first  two coming off turn 2 then your race is done. Watching the racing last night suggested that a lot of the riders think the same which is a shame. To their great credit Dan and Rene tried there best to pass right up to the chequered flag but the track never offered them a great deal to work with. Go back 24 hours to Derwent Park and some of the racing was very good because the track offered the racers something they could exploit. Steve Lawson has prepared a track over the last two meetings which although a bit drier than ideal has produced some exciting racing. You also need riders with the right mind set and ability to give it a go from behind, not enough appear genuinely willing to do it these days

Kevin Number 1 with a 6-85 average he would be a reserve at Scunthorpe on that average. We were basically a 3 man team last night with 4 of our riders scoring 12 between them. Heat 15 I like a lot of fans were expecting Dany & Jye to be in it.

11 minutes ago, Normski said:

Heat 15 I like a lot of fans were expecting Dany & Jye to be in it.

I wasn't at the match but in broad terms usually feel that if you have a reserve who's on it in a struggling team he should get his seven rides before heat 15. With Jye at No.2, he wouldn't have ridden in the later heats and so perhaps wouldn't be fully up to speed on how the track was riding by then. Just conjecture.

Usually there are good reasons why the expected riders in heat 15 don't appear, which is not to say team managers don't get it wrong occasionally!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Normski said:

Kevin Number 1 with a 6-85 average he would be a reserve at Scunthorpe on that average. We were basically a 3 man team last night with 4 of our riders scoring 12 between them. Heat 15 I like a lot of fans were expecting Dany & Jye to be in it.

Would have liked to have seen Jye in Ht 15,he is the only rider we have who is prepared to get stuck in when going gets tough IMO .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, screm said:

Didn't hear anything announced last night as to whether Theo Pijper will be with us next Saturday. He is due to race in the Longtrack GP in Holland next Sunday, meeting starts at 12-30pm with practice at 9am.

We will find out at 7 o'clock next Saturday have only missed 1 meeting this year due to a birthday night out,think like many on here we turn up week after week thinking it will be better. If it was not for the craic and banter with fellow supporters think i would have missed more meetings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Win loose or draw a speedway fan should allways turn up.week after week, i cant because of work but would never  not go to derwent park when off work remember 1980 when we only won 2 matches its still your team support through thick and thin!

Berwick aren’t my team, but it’s only 2 minutes drive from home and it’s something to do on a Saturday evening

6 hours ago, screm said:

Most Berwick have supported their team though, through thin and thin recently but there comes a point where the cost of admission isn`t worth what you are watching on track. Last season on many Saturday nights I walked out of Shielfield Park feeling I had value for money, even when we lost. This season that hasent happened anywhere near as many times, so you could ask what are they doing different in track prep from last season to this. 

Doesn't look like they are doing anything at all. Strange set up, to think they can just turn up from one week to the next with virtually no preparation in between and expect the track to be right.

1 hour ago, Pod said:

Doesn't look like they are doing anything at all. Strange set up, to think they can just turn up from one week to the next with virtually no preparation in between and expect the track to be right.

You obviously don't see them down at the track during the week doing work and also Saturday mornings and afternoons then?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, topsoil said:

You obviously don't see them down at the track during the week doing work and also Saturday mornings and afternoons then?

You can do as many hours as you like getting it wrong, it is still wrong.  The second half of last season the track prep massively improved, at a guess probably NICK MORRIS insisting kt was prepared properly.  I was being entertained, apart from the Glasgow meeting this year I have not been entertained.  I have missed more meetings this year than in the 20 yrs I have been going to Berwick speedway.  You take the kids out of the crowd on Saturday I doubt there were much more than 400 in attendance.  Before someone jumps in and says kids are important they are the future, true, but they get in free, so without the old fa*rts like me paying to get in , then this business model is doomed to failure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balderdash&piffle said:

You can do as many hours as you like getting it wrong, it is still wrong.  The second half of last season the track prep massively improved, at a guess probably NICK MORRIS insisting kt was prepared properly.  I was being entertained, apart from the Glasgow meeting this year I have not been entertained.  I have missed more meetings this year than in the 20 yrs I have been going to Berwick speedway.  You take the kids out of the crowd on Saturday I doubt there were much more than 400 in attendance.  Before someone jumps in and says kids are important they are the future, true, but they get in free, so without the old fa*rts like me paying to get in , then this business model is doomed to failure.

Kids get in free granted, however how much do they (or the parents) spend on food, drink, merchandise ?

19 hours ago, Fourentee said:

I wasn't at the match but in broad terms usually feel that if you have a reserve who's on it in a struggling team he should get his seven rides before heat 15. With Jye at No.2, he wouldn't have ridden in the later heats and so perhaps wouldn't be fully up to speed on how the track was riding by then. Just conjecture.

Usually there are good reasons why the expected riders in heat 15 don't appear, which is not to say team managers don't get it wrong occasionally!

The track rides the same from Ht1 most weeks you need to make the gate,Jye was gating and riding hard 1st/2nd bends.More to the point is how Howe and NJB got there full quota when Dany was gating and winning heats!

• Like 1