British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tosh1218

Scunthorpe v Workington. Knockout Cup Final 1st Leg

Keep seeing a mention of large crowd but IMO no more than 500 which includes around 80 or so comets fans would not like to see a normal crowd !! Just saying :).  Ps sound system on 1st bend did not work very well

Edited by Neila
Added too
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

The Scorpions have put themselves in a strong position for the second leg, i would be happy with an 18 point lead no doubt. The Comets have it all to do. We could count ourselves a little unfortunate not to have had a point or too more on the board last night without taking anything away from the Scorpions. Paul Starke may have scored a few more points if his starting had been better but it was poor on the night,  5 points from him would have been more than acceptable.  Rasser was superb on the night and has really shown great determination in the quest to win the club its first seven man silverware. Mason Campton has improved greatly with more racing during the second half of the season and will have a huge part to play in the 2nd leg. His win in heat 12 following a second hard move in the race from Garrity after already stuffing Nicolai up down the back straight was superb and a fitting response. Rene had what will have have been a very frustrating night for him, he tried his hardest from a position of not making very good starts but just seemed to lack that bit of speed that would have brought him a few extra points. Nicolai seemed to find himself in the wrong place on more than one occasion and invariably found himself at the back when in traffic. He will have a huge part to play in the 2nd leg and is more than capable of turning last nights form on its head. Young Kyle nearly managed a second place in the reserves race and he will be looking for more at Derwent Park. Seven heat wins wasn't bad from the Comets, it was the 11 non scoring races that hurt us. Jason Garrity and Jake Allen are a formidable 3 and 4 partnership at the EWR and were responsible for 3 of the damaging 5-1's the Comets conceeded. If we can get on top of these two and make big strides into the deficit early then it will be game on and the nerves will be jangling once again. Up the Comets !!

I was told last night that Campton is not available for the home leg ,any truth in this?

14 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

I was told last night that Campton is not available for the home leg ,any truth in this?

I believe Mason was due to fly back to Aus early this week for state champs, but he has now decided to stay in UK to complete Comets remaining fixtures and hopefully get us some silverware :t:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WorkyWorky said:

I believe Mason was due to fly back to Aus early this week for state champs, but he has now decided to stay in UK to complete Comets remaining fixtures and hopefully get us some silverware :t:

Hope that decision , though credit it to him for making it , doesnt come back to bite him on the arse visa wise . 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Neila said:

Keep seeing a mention of large crowd but IMO no more than 500 which includes around 80 or so comets fans would not like to see a normal crowd !! Just saying :).  Ps sound system on 1st bend did not work very well

It seems that 500 is now a large crowd in UK speedway. All part of the Emperors New Clothes syndrome of evaluating the health of UK racing. And therefore it must be adequate for the promoter's financial needs? If that is at the Vice Chairman's track then I can report that IMO at King's Lynn their average crowd is hovering around the 1,000 mark. Which must also be thought of as sufficient?

I would say more like 700 there but again its just a guess.

14 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Other sports publish the attendance, why not speedway?

12 hours ago, Paulco said:

Hope that decision , though credit it to him for making it , doesnt come back to bite him on the arse visa wise . 

All he has to do I believe is finish in the first three of one of the other three state championships left to run as it is only his "Home" championship he will miss or finish in the first three of the Australian Speedway Senior Solo Championship

Australian Speedway Senior Solo Championship
Round 1 Thursday 3rd January  Gillman Speedway
Round 2 Saturday 5th January  Olympic Park Mildura
Round 3 Monday 7th January Undera Speedway
Round 4 Wednesday 9th  January Albury
Round 5 Saturday 12th January Kurri – Kurri

So there is plenty of opportunity for him to re-qualify for his visa

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, comet49 said:

Other sports publish the attendance, why not speedway?

Ask Dan or Steve on the night and they will let you know what the crowd was and I personally have no idea why they aren't published say on the web site after the meeting, but having attended at Scunny Sunday the crowd didn't look that great but it is very deceiving 

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

No chance was there 700 on Sunday !

so, the not so  secret  , secret weapon stays until the end of Septobey .. . .good on him . all the team has been great to watch this year . .  

• Like 1

As has been said, an excellent night of racing worthy of being a final & televised (ok, a short clip on BBC Look North & the DVD). Workington were in it right up to heat 7 but a combination of slowing races down to assist in heat advantages, certainly helped us pull away for the 18 point deficit. Will it be enough? If we start how we did at Peterborough I would say no but after that horror start I would not expect them to do it again.

I would expect Bach & Klindt to score a bit heavier on Thursday but that would lower Jensen's score & again, as been shown before, your reserves are key. Credit to Campton for stopping on to finish the season off as the way he was riding was a good bet for a good finish in his State Championship. Plenty of other opportunities for his visa later in the year & January Senior Solo's, as THJ has posted the dates, but team set up & places would be known at the AGM so a provisional place most likely.

There was a noticeable increase in the crowd boosted by the travelling Comets but, also, families of the 125 juniors & also, many neutrals that wanted a speedway fix. Probably around the 650-700 would be my guess.

Hope the journey across & down was not too bad but Thursday's 2nd leg being mid week may curtail some fans that ventured to Peterborough from travelling but we should still have a decent following  for the Scorpions to bring back some silverware.  Geoff100 made reference to a Meatloaf track, possibly "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad". Hope this is the 1 missing & good luck in the others.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

All he has to do I believe is finish in the first three of one of the other three state championships left to run as it is only his "Home" championship he will miss or finish in the first three of the Australian Speedway Senior Solo Championship

It's a top 4 finish that qualifies for a visa and after this weekend's Victorian meeting there are Queensland, SA, WA and Campton's home NSW championship.

1 minute ago, Alan_Jones said:

It's a top 4 finish that qualifies for a visa and after this weekend's Victorian meeting there are Queensland, SA, WA and Campton's home NSW championship.

Campton was under the impression that it was a top 3 he needed to qualify so top 4 even better and chatting to his dad in Oz on Sunday all he was concerned about was the extra travelling he was going to have to put in going to the other State Championships and I must have misunderstood (as ever) as I thought Campton would miss his home championship and only had three left to get a visa sorted but still 4  meetings and a home one to boot (mere bagatelle for a man of his talents) thanks for the info

Regards
THJ

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Ask Dan or Steve on the night and they will let you know what the crowd was and I personally have no idea why they aren't published say on the web site after the meeting, but having attended at Scunny Sunday the crowd didn't look that great but it is very deceiving 

Regards
THJ

Cheers for that but I was thinking more of the local press in their reports, don't think they've ever been in, probably cos they're not told.