British Speedway Forum
iainb

Best Race Suit Ever?

7 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Leicester had the first team suits and they were sponsored by TSB. One member of the team would not ware the - was it Malc Brown?

Well, everyone is wearing them here...

https://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autogallery/autogallery.php?show=1.British Club Teams and Riders%2FLeicester%2F1969_Leicester_Lions_(2).jpg

8 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Leicester had the first team suits and they were sponsored by TSB. One member of the team would not ware the - was it Malc Brown?

I think that the TSB Team Leathers were worn c1974?

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

Ahh, close then, Wolves had team suits in 1970.

Oxford had team suits in 1973 but from what I remember Hasse Holmqvist's were too small and only Bob Kilby, Gordon Kennett, John Dews and Rick Timmo wore them? Malcolm Ballard didn't wear his but "Mad Malc" as was his want wore them when he moved to Poole in 1974 before them moving to Leicester and then retiring (there has to be a story there somewhere?) Ulf Lovaas wore them in 1974 and Kelvin Mullarkey acquired a set (from whom?) when he rode for Weymouth in 1974.

22 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I think that the TSB Team Leathers were worn c1974?

Definitely 1969 and the team photo shows this.

1 minute ago, Skodaman said:

Definitely 1969 and the team photo shows this.

Yes that's right but I think TSB didn't sponsor the "Lions" until c1974 where the leathers had the TSB logo on the upper arm if I recall?

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

You can clearly see that Malc was not wearing them!

Are you being facetious?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Yes that's right but I think TSB didn't sponsor the "Lions" until c1974 where the leathers had the TSB logo on the upper arm if I recall?

And the legs...

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

And the legs...

Quite so!

A friend of mine was the manager of the Queens Road, Leicester branch of TSB and he organised for TSB to buy a complete set but Malc would not wear them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

A friend of mine was the manager of the Queens Road, Leicester branch of TSB and he organised for TSB to buy a complete set but Malc would not wear them.

As a matter of interest when did TSB first sponsor the "Lions?"

6 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Lok at malc Browns shoulder - it is brown not cream. The retro site also indicates that the year was 1969.

I said it was 1969. And Malcolm is wearing the EXACT same leathers as everyone else in the photo.