British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenga

G. tigers V L .lions . Friday 26th July ..SOMEWHERE AROUND 7.30 ISH

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You have to remember the Glasgow Promotion are serious business men and money was not really a concern on bringing the Stadium and Team up to scratch.Credit to them for their interest and Professional way they went about it, but even they are saying the speedway must pay its way.Most Promotions are on the breadline.

Absolutely! That's my point, the sport has to be affordable to all promoters to put out evenly balanced teams and then it should lead to decent entertainment, not one sided matches that supporters don't want to go to because they already know their team will romp to victory, except the glory hunters of course.

As alluded to in my previous posts it should be about progression of talent through the league set up we have in this country and hopefully getting British riders back on the world stage, but to do that promoters need to work in one direction and not just do what suits their own agenda (as Glasgow could be accused of in recent times).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

"Just a pity more promoters weren't prepared to take a chance and actually promote the sport, and improve things like Glasgow have done"

This is not a dig at Glasgow as I believe they have done a tremendous amount for very little reward but no other club has the financial backing to go out and do the same. Speaking to a promoter recently who spends his own ( not the clubs ) money to do the little he can afford as his club losses money every meeting so has no budget for advertising.

Promoting each team might not always have to cost much money, giving away free tickets for kids in schools, could get an extra paying adult, for example.

Doing nothing is unfortunately not an option (ever decreasing circles) as the ageing support dwindles away.

Edited by speed ace

1 hour ago, speed ace said:

Absolutely! That's my point, the sport has to be affordable to all promoters to put out evenly balanced teams and then it should lead to decent entertainment, not one sided matches that supporters don't want to go to because they already know their team will romp to victory, except the glory hunters of course.

As alluded to in my previous posts it should be about progression of talent through the league set up we have in this country and hopefully getting British riders back on the world stage, but to do that promoters need to work in one direction and not just do what suits their own agenda (as Glasgow could be accused of in recent times).

i think you just invited 3 monkeys onto your back ..... hear , see and speak no evil with your last paragraph !

1 hour ago, speed ace said:

Promoting each team might not always have to cost much money, giving away free tickets for kids in schools, could get an extra paying adult, for example.

Doing nothing is unfortunately not an option (ever decreasing circles) as the ageing support dwindles away.

Been there done that.

26 kids with 4 teachers and six parents turned up for the meeting , none came back, when asked why?.... "Too expensive" ( kids allowed in free every week) or " not my thing "  .

Some promotions do try!

1 hour ago, jenga said:

i think you just invited 3 monkeys onto your back ..... hear , see and speak no evil with your last paragraph !

Paragraph (Buster Rob and who?)or sentence?

34 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Been there done that.

26 kids with 4 teachers and six parents turned up for the meeting , none came back, when asked why?.... "Too expensive" ( kids allowed in free every week) or " not my thing "  .

Some promotions do try!

Don't take it so personally, wouldn't like to even guess at how many freebies Glasgow promotion have given away in the last few years and to be honest it's a pity a crystal ball wasn't available to them as I'm sure it would have reaped better rewards if it had been meetings like the last few that newbies were watching.

Also I'm sure they got a bit annoyed when regular supporters used them as if it was a bonus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speed ace said:

there you go . the words in brackets says it all . 

Hey .Hey .Hey .. its the monkeys coming to get me ....  Glasgow posters !

Edited by jenga
Do I need a reason ?

4 minutes ago, jenga said:

You have already tried stirring ,give it a rest.

11 minutes ago, jenga said:

:rofl: they couldn't even be bothered starting this thread, doubt they will be bothered reading it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

You have already tried stirring ,give it a rest.

We no longer pay any attention . Back to last night . Interesting meeting , Cook peerless as usual , backed up by Rasser and Starky . But the amount of last places is getting concerning . Young Connor is naturally finding life tough in the Championship,  but you can see there is a rider there waiting to happen , I think we all know where the real problem is though . 

Leicester battled away , Douglas recovered from his very harsh exclusion in heat 3 and was superb after that . Harris was a decent guest and Connor Mountain filled his boots winning easy points against our lower order . Thankfully for Glasgow Nicholls had a bit of an off night . Once again heat 15 was a classic and I couldn't have argued if Harris got the nod for third , Leicester probably deserved a point 

Edited by Paulco
  • Like 2

Is Sarj on his annual average reduction phase? 

Edited by TheScotsman

44 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

Is Sarj on his annual average reduction phase? 

Looks like it , since his 3am nappy changing and burp the baby duties he hasn't scored a point.

Sure he will be fine when he starts primary school.

• Haha 3