British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I do sometimes think some of us forget that the entertainment factor should be  the most important thing in speedway.

Mmmmm, yes and no for me,,,,, it's supposed to be a sport not an entertainment, and there is no reason why massive stuffing can't be entertaining. 

In say rugby or football would the fans get bored of stuffing their opponents? 

Just now, iainb said:

No... I'll take the bit where he/she's going off at a tangent about every sport being different and the home advantage thing as him/her wanting to change the subject because he/she couldn't read the detail of my original point... as an apology :D

You've been given an answer now by MikeBV.

Rugby and Cricket.

I'd suggest you stop digging now.

• Like 1

Just now, Baldyman said:

Mmmmm, yes and no for me,,,,, it's supposed to be a sport not an entertainment, and there is no reason why massive stuffing can't be entertaining. 

In say rugby or football would the fans get bored of stuffing their opponents? 

Agreed to an extent, but then rugby has similar rules to speedway

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's bonus points

So is the extra point for the draw in Speedway

ie they got within six points so earned a bonus point on top of the one they got for the draw..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's bonus points

So are you saying 'bonus pts' are different to 'pts' now?

Good god.

You've asked a question, you've been answered.

Your 'ridiculous' argument has been blown out of the water.

Stick to trying to remember the difference between 7 and 6... we already know that proves difficult for you, so anything beyond that such as this discussion will be way too much for you :)

13 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

So are you saying 'bonus pts' are different to 'pts' now?

Good god.

You've asked a question, you've been answered.

Your 'ridiculous' argument has been blown out of the water.

Stick to trying to remember the difference between 7 and 6... we already know that proves difficult for you, so anything beyond that such as this discussion will be way too much for you :)

Of course bonus points are different to points... you ALWAYS get the points, you don't always get the bonus points... That's why they're called bonus points, der

Anyway... I'll be seeing you next Tuesday :t:

19 minutes ago, mikebv said:

So is the extra point for the draw in Speedway

ie they got within six points so earned a bonus point on top of the one they got for the draw..

I disagree, you always get 2 points for drawing away from home, you don't always get bonus points in the other instances you state

• Like 1

Apologies if most of this has been said already as not had the time to read through the 5 pages so far only snipets.

League Structure

Top league consisting of 12 teams with the rest dropping into the National League with the NL being regionalised with North/South divisions.

League to be called "British League Super 12" and marketed online and via social media as loud, exciting, thrilling, extreme, crashes etc. paid for online marketing on Facebook/Twitter/Insta etc. aimed at the 9-20+ market as us older fans will go or know of the sport regardless, time to get the kids nagging the family to try speedway.

Team Building For Top League

For the top division based on 12 teams then looking at 40 points with the league no.7 reserved for not British but Commonwealth Riders who come in on an average of 2-3 points, a list of 16 eligible riders should be listed with their averages and the 12 clubs pick and build based on the rider and his average, the other 4 riders are then "reserves" for the season to be shared among clubs to cover injury etc.

I would like to see a change in how averages are used to change teams etc. during the course of a season....

For example, if Craig Cook has a season start average of 8.5 that is the figure used for clubs to build their side, if his average falls to 6.5 during the season his club can replace him with a rider upto the value of Cook's starting average of 8.5 as I feel the club should not be penalised for riders who lose form, in the same instance other clubs can sign Craig Cook on his current average if he is "transfered out" by his club where he has started the season.

If Cook has an average of 9.5 and his club want him out, then they again can only use the 8.5 figure as per the start of the season to replace him, so basically if a rider increases his average from his start average his job should be safe, I am pretty sure if we use Drew Kemp as an example he would have stayed at Sheffield all season.

There should be a rule to stipulate the same rider cannot be signed twice during the course of the season so if Cook drops to 6.5 and is transfered out of Lynn they can't later on transfer him back in on the 6.5 average.

Not only does it protect riders who increase their averages, it also makes team changes more interesting and keeps teams fairly strong and competitive.

Few things I would like to see

Points System 

I would like the bonus point to be returned with league points made much more simple.

3 Points for a win

1 Point for a draw

doesn't matter if you are home or away

Rider Order

For the Home side, rider with the highest starting Average must ride at no.1 with the lowest two average riders riding at 6 & 7

For the Away side, rider with the highest starting Average must ride at no.1, the lowest average rider must ride at no.7 however the 2nd & 3rd lowest average rider can ride in any position in the team 2-6

Again this makes team management more interesting especially for the away side, do they drop a "reserve" in at no.2 or no.4 if their 5th highest average rider could do some damage from the no.6 position?

3 hours ago, BWitcher said:

As Bagpuss says, Cricket and Rugby Union for sure. 

They're mickey mouse joke sports though I suppose!

In fact, I was in a bar in the Algarve a couple of weeks ago and an Englishman was watching some Rugby and boy did the locals laugh when he told them about the losers getting a pt in Rugby. 

Wait to the media find out .. Rugby will be finished

Fixed race nights do not work, they haven't had any positive impact only negative.  Scrap them next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Because it was a flawed system and replaced by one that WAS much better.

Serious question - in what way was it flawed?

23 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Fixed race nights do not work, they haven't had any positive impact only negative.  Scrap them next season.

It what way don't they work ...all the fans wanted them Swindon have had nearly had the same 1 -7 home and  away for two years with hardly any guests  .. we were told  that's what the  fans  wanted ….this  is  what  makes laugh when they  say that the powers that be don't listen to the fans  . Well they do are then they still moan .

Go back to normal Race nights and  fans will start moaning about to many guests etc ...standard speedway fans

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

I think they've worked in terms of cutting out clashes between the two leagues which is what they were brought in for. Less guests and R/R from my memory this season. Although my memory is questionable!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, orion said:

It what way don't they work ...all the fans wanted them Swindon have had nearly had the same 1 -7 home and  away for two years with hardly any guests  .. we were told  that's what the  fans  wanted ….this  is  what  makes laugh when they  say that the powers that be don't listen to the fans  . Well they do are then they still moan .

Go back to normal Race nights and  fans will start moaning about to many guests etc ...standard speedway fans

What's a non standard speedway fan?