Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Redcar v Leicester Semi final

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, SuperBear said:

P*ssing down here will we ever get it on 

Not good at the minute but forecast says it will stop and be cloudy most of the day with the odd shower , all depends howhat the rain we've had in previous days has affected the track ? The drainage at the track is a lot better now so fingers crossed we don't get much rain through the day and we can get it on , don't understand why most tracks don't have covers to keep the tracks raceable these days then it can only be called off if there's heavy rain during the meeting  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

don't understand why most tracks don't have covers to keep the tracks raceable these days then it can only be called off if there's heavy rain during the meeting  ? 

A think track covers have been tried at various stadiums and have worked ok. Some of the problems you might come across are, track accessibility and labour availability. For example, track covers at Newcastle probly wouldn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

A think track covers have been tried at various stadiums and have worked ok. Some of the problems you might come across are, track accessibility and labour availability. For example, track covers at Newcastle probly wouldn't work.

All tracks have barriers around the track so why couldn't covers be fitted to the top of the barriers so the rain just runs off into a gulley on the inside of the track , it's not that expensive to buy tarpaulin to cover the tracks and would probably work out cheaper than calling meetings off a couple of hours before its supposed to start , Speedway needs all the help it can get in this country and surely looking forward to a meeting all week just to get a downpour a couple of hours before the start that the meeting gets cancelled is no good in this day and age , 

Edited by johnyson66
misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

All tracks have barriers around the track so why couldn't covers be fitted to the top of the barriers so the rain just runs off into a gulley on the inside of the track , it's not that expensive to buy tarpaulin to cover the tracks and would probably work out cheaper than calling meetings off a couple of hours before its supposed to start , Speedway needs all the help it can get in this country and surely looking forward to a meeting all week just to get a downpour a couple of hours before the start that the meeting gets cancelled is no good in this day and age , 

The last four words sums it up really.

A suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility to install an automated self laying track cover system and just get Alexa to do it.:t:

Edited by ruffdiamond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the forecast has drizzle, on and off, until early afternoon after a fair bit of rain overnight.

Even if it stops it's not a very good drying day - no chance of sun or a decent wind.

Typical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jduffill said:

Morning all,

I’m happy to report that the track is absolutely fine after last night. We had no rain on Wednesday which left the track dry yesterday. The track was packed hard yesterday afternoon so it would take the rain forecast overnight.

We have some rain forecast this afternoon, but this evening should be dry and we don’t anticipate any problems with our meeting going ahead.

Racing conditions should be excellent and will make for a superb Semi-Final. We have opened up the back straight for additional viewing facilities and we have a 2nd paramedic booked, so the meeting should run smoothly.

Hope to see plenty of you there this evening!

Jitendra Duffill

Fantastic effort to get this meeting on , travelling over from Workington later to hopefully see the Redcar Bears take a decent lead and progress to the Grand Final :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be an interesting night of Speedway. 

Leicester manager Stewart Dickson said: “Play-off speedway is new territory for some of our riders but this is really where our captain Scott Nicholls will come to the fore, as he’s been there and done it.

“We’ve topped the table with a lot of hard work, and we don’t intend giving up on the title now. Redcar are a good side, set up similar to ourselves, but we feel we can beat anyone over two legs.”

I've not made any predictions all season ......................So I think I'll keep it that way for tonight :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Redcar look to have 2 terrific guests, hard to replace 2 vital riders but the averages have really favoured the bears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently blue skies over the track. Just been down and it's looking in top shape, still quite firm! If the forecast is correct and we get no more rain then it should be a terrific meeting!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Redcar look to have 2 terrific guests, hard to replace 2 vital riders but the averages have really favoured the bears

2? Only 1 (Lawson for MPT). 

When Redcar rode against Eastbourne in the league MPT scored a 5 ride maximum and Lawson 12 from 6. Not sure it's an advantage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

All tracks have barriers around the track so why couldn't covers be fitted to the top of the barriers so the rain just runs off into a gulley on the inside of the track , it's not that expensive to buy tarpaulin to cover the tracks and would probably work out cheaper than calling meetings off a couple of hours before its supposed to start , Speedway needs all the help it can get in this country and surely looking forward to a meeting all week just to get a downpour a couple of hours before the start that the meeting gets cancelled is no good in this day and age , 

Cost of reasonable industrial strength tarpaulin with eyelets and fastening clips in suffient volume (say 80000m2) to fully cover a track would be circa £17500. Putting aside the length of time it would take for a team (of volunteers?) to erect  and then take down and where such a large and weighty mass would be stored, it is questionable if such cost is justifiable v value of saving meetings from being rained off particularly since the cover would need to be fully removed a good number of hours before the meeting to allow for track preperation which would leave it open to the elements anyway.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Cost of reasonable industrial strength tarpaulin with eyelets and fastening clips in suffient volume (say 80000m2) to fully cover a track would be circa £17500. Putting aside the length of time it would take for a team (of volunteers?) to erect  and then take down and where such a large and weighty mass would be stored, it is questionable if such cost is justifiable v value of saving meetings from being rained off particularly since the cover would need to be fully removed a good number of hours before the meeting to allow for track preperation which would leave it open to the elements anyway.

 

Which is exactly why Berwick still get rain offs even with covers available

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy