British Speedway Forum
DC2

Poole 2020

2 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Gavan is getting all excited, with Poole out of the way, gives his team more chance of glory 

Sssh!! Otherwise he'll go on about crashing us out of the playoffs again.

2 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Gavan is getting all excited, with Poole out of the way, gives his team more chance of glory 

Not at all ................id love all teams to be like Poole.............that way we would win every semi final we were in against a team who threw in the towel

Id like Poole to stay up but its not the end of the world.

I can see the Prem running with 7 or 8 teams and that will be just fine

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

On the plus side, with Poole dropping down, that makes holder and Kurtz available, go on Gavan you know you would like them there 

Rather have Holder than Kurtz

But would rather have Klindt and Josh and Covatti..at least they try

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hardly a local derby. It’s 113 miles away!

I don’t think it’s a good move at all. The crowd will drop at least 25% so no gain there. Add a drop to get in, as fans won’t tolerate £18 for an inferior product and there’s a shortfall already.

With a 38 points limit we will be watching a couple of wobblers at reserve. 

This hasn’t been mentioned but I think the rise of AFCB has a link to one of the reasons why the crowds have dropped at Poole. Their success from about 4 years ago ties in as a direct possibility. There are some that used to post regularly on here that are now season ticket holders at AFCB who no longer attend speedway and have said they can’t afford both.

I myself find it very disheartening. I heard the main sponsor fiasco cost the club over £40,000. Thats a huge missing lump to cover wages, rent etc. No wonder the club has found funds tight, leading to extended r/r with Worrall and cheap replacements. But is dropping down going to lead to a main team sponsor who is prepared to pay out for the privilege, in the knowledge that his or her company is not going to get any TV coverage? Unless Eurosport, who we hear have put a decent TV deal on the table, are willing to spread their investment over all leagues, there’s no piece of the pie to be snaffled up. 

The Premier league is not a viable league with 6 clubs. Everyone can see that. So, either Matt Ford has a ploy to get Chapman or another to buy the club to take the PL back to 7 clubs, or alternatively it’s to crash the PL so that all clubs have to sit down together and form new leagues, with a decent amount of clubs in whatever format to make it more attractive to the fans.

Swindon and Poole are good rivals. Love going up to Blunsdon. Swindon will miss us badly. Instead, as it currently stands, they will see 5 other teams in 2020. Never going to work and we all know it. And currently no club is going to come up to replace Poole.

I personally don’t believe a regional league, north and south, with playoffs (2 from south 2 from north) is a viable or sensible concept. The U.K. is a small country. Wolves north or south? Birmingham north or south/ Belle Vue to Monmore is just over an hour but they could be in different leagues? Not going to work.

Perhaps a year of one league would be a way forward. I see that would be 27 riders short, due to doubling up. But it can be covered. NL reserves. Or, if there is decent TV money, entice a few young Swedes and Poles over from the lower leagues. Experience gained over making a wedge. Eurosport would surely like a league 20 + over a league of 6.

Sorry for length of post just thinking and typing ideas as they come into my head.

Its not viable with 6 clubs we know that

Why has Ford got to have a ploy with Chapman......there are clubs that will move up 

Why do some Poole fans think that top flight speedway will cease if they drop down...............

2 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Not at all ................id love all teams to be like Poole.............that way we would win every semi final we were in against a team who threw in the towel

Id like Poole to stay up but its not the end of the world.

I can see the Prem running with 7 or 8 teams and that will be just fine

But we're are these other clubs coming from, the Premier league will be poorer with out Poole as you very well know 

Why has Ford got to have a ploy with Chapman......there are clubs that will move up 

Why do some Poole fans think that top flight speedway will cease if they drop down...............

Name the teams itching to move up

Edited by Arthur54

21 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hardly a local derby. It’s 113 miles away!

I don’t think it’s a good move at all. The crowd will drop at least 25% so no gain there. Add a drop to get in, as fans won’t tolerate £18 for an inferior product and there’s a shortfall already.

With a 38 points limit we will be watching a couple of wobblers at reserve. 

This hasn’t been mentioned but I think the rise of AFCB has a link to one of the reasons why the crowds have dropped at Poole. Their success from about 4 years ago ties in as a direct possibility. There are some that used to post regularly on here that are now season ticket holders at AFCB who no longer attend speedway and have said they can’t ford both.

I myself find it very disheartening. I heard the main sponsor fiasco cost the club over £40,000. Thats a huge missing lump to cover wages, rent etc. No wonder the club has found funds tight, leading to extended r/r with Worrall and cheap replacements. But is dropping down going to lead to a main team sponsor who is prepared to pay out for the privilege, in the knowledge that his or her company is not going to get any TV coverage? Unless Eurosport, who we hear have put a decent TV deal on the table, are willing to spread their investment over all leagues, there’s no piece of the pie to be snaffled up. 

The Premier league is not a viable league with 6 clubs. Everyone can see that. So, either Matt Ford has a ploy to get Chapman or another to buy the club to take the PL back to 7 clubs, or alternatively it’s to crash the PL so that all clubs have to sit down together and form new leagues, with a decent amount of clubs in whatever format to make it more attractive to the fans.

Swindon and Poole are good rivals. Love going up to Blunsdon. Swindon will miss us badly. Instead, as it currently stands, they will see 5 other teams in 2020. Never going to work and we all know it. And currently no club is going to come up to replace Poole.

I personally don’t believe a regional league, north and south, with playoffs (2 from south 2 from north) is a viable or sensible concept. The U.K. is a small country. Wolves north or south? Birmingham north or south/ Belle Vue to Monmore is just over an hour but they could be in different leagues? Not going to work.

Perhaps a year of one league would be a way forward. I see that would be 27 riders short, due to doubling up. But it can be covered. NL reserves. Or, if there is decent TV money, entice a few young Swedes and Poles over from the lower leagues. Experience gained over making a wedge. Eurosport would surely like a league 20 + over a league of 6.

Sorry for length of post just thinking and typing ideas as they come into my head.

A one league regionally based could work Steve if you race twice against your own region home and away and once against the teams from the other region.

This would mean your nearest teams in the other region will still get a visit from you and vice versa..

Top two in each region play off against each other to decide who represents the region in the Grand Final.

Run a National KO Cup, a Best Pairs and a Fours..

Maybe also a regional individual Championship where top eight from both go into a National Riders Championship?

More local (ish) derbies cannot be a bad thing and you could always run a season or two with six man teams until more riders become available..

Something has to change though without a doubt..

If Poole were seriously considering to drop down it would only take Belle Vue to consider doing the same and 100% the PL would collapse..

Long overdue the Aces dropping down for me given the northern base of the Championship and they could race Friday's and Saturdays..

The reality is that crowds are now so low at most clubs just 200-300 more a night would genuinely make a huge difference to most places, and let's face it, the sport isn't going to gain any credible operating model overnight allowing it to be taken seriously by thousands, so might as well all run on nights they can get their best crowds.

Crowd increases which generally will made up of those who either used to go or attend sporadically now but would attend more often if ran on nights they can traditionally get there...

Edited by mikebv

Just now, Arthur54 said:

But we're are these other clubs coming from, the Premier league will be poorer with out Poole as you very well know 

In what way will it be poorer i cant work that out?

As long as there is 7 teams at least then thats fine..............personally im all for Poole staying up but the league wont be any poorer without them........has it been any poorer because Somerset dropped down?

ohh i dont think it will cease if they drop down but as it stands you have 1 bloke owning half of the league its a bit a joke really no wonder tv companys dont really want to show the league stuff 

1 minute ago, Arthur54 said:

Name the teams itching to move up

Did i say anyone was itching to move up?

There will be a team that does be it Sheffield, Somerset, Glasgow or Leicester

Just now, nelliejim said:

ohh i dont think it will cease if they drop down but as it stands you have 1 bloke owning half of the league its a bit a joke really no wonder tv companys dont really want to show the league stuff 

im with you on that one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I think will happen. Buster will buy Poole at the AGM and run Premiership Speedway in 2020. Matt Ford finally gets the sale he's wanted for 2 years over the line and never returns to Speedway in any capacity. 

• Haha 1

and will teams really want to move up when they see most other teams struggle British top flightspeedway is on its arse and murmuring its last breath in my opinion  

3 minutes ago, Gavan said:

In what way will it be poorer i cant work that out?

As long as there is 7 teams at least then thats fine..............personally im all for Poole staying up but the league wont be any poorer without them........has it been any poorer because Somerset dropped down?

You know this will send shock waves through the sport, the most successful team in the last 20 years wanting to drop down 

2 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

What I think will happen. Buster will buy Poole at the AGM and run Premiership Speedway in 2020. Matt Ford finally gets the sale he's wanted for 2 years over the line and never returns to Speedway in any capacity. 

woo bloody hoo is that something to be happy and proud about