British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HackneyHawk

Time to have an enquiry into the death of Speedway

I remember when Adam started riding 8 years ago at Ipswich I made a few suggestions that would basically cost nothing and potentially bring in more punters ...eg, a questionaire paper slipped into the program with a space for the person to fill in their details. These would then be deposited in a box near the exit. 

you then have an idea of what your supporters concerns are and their email/ phone numbers, therefore giving you a database to target them with promos etc...

having the next home meeting poster able to be downloaded... fans could then print them off and spread advertising with no cost to the club. 

getting in touch with local universities etc and having local bands / DJ’s performing on the center green, publicity for the performers and free / cheap entertainment for the crowd . 

sidecars after every four heats 

maybe an exhibition of trials riding on the center green during the interval 

most  the above I’ve used a variation of in my businesses at some time or another, and they’ve all resulted in an increase in turnover. 

it ain’t rocket science 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

I remember when Adam started riding 8 years ago at Ipswich I made a few suggestions that would basically cost nothing and potentially bring in more punters ...eg, a questionaire paper slipped into the program with a space for the person to fill in their details. These would then be deposited in a box near the exit. 

you then have an idea of what your supporters concerns are and their email/ phone numbers, therefore giving you a database to target them with promos etc...

having the next home meeting poster able to be downloaded... fans could then print them off and spread advertising with no cost to the club. 

getting in touch with local universities etc and having local bands / DJ’s performing on the center green, publicity for the performers and free / cheap entertainment for the crowd . 

most  the above I’ve used a variation of in my businesses at some time or another, and they’ve all resulted in an increase in turnover. 

it ain’t rocket science 

If you keep doing the same thing, you will inevitably get the same results. Some promoters don't shake things up and are amazed at no increase in crowds. Others do make changes, and get more fans through the gate.

As you say, it ain'r rocket science.

Ps: Good luck to Adam in Poland. Glad he's got the chance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Graham Drury would be my choice.  Experience as a rider and promoter and currently retired. 

He made friends and enemies on both sides of the fence. He’s ‘ old school ‘ and hardly going to look at things with a fresh , new attitude.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Graham Drury would be my choice.  Experience as a rider and promoter and currently retired. 

And a promoter/team manager within the current flawed system for a very long time.

3 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

it ain’t rocket science 

So right...

There is loads that can be done..

Get your customers names, emails and home addresses and you can target market them...

The Aces have a total fan base of, I would suggest, around 3000...

With circa 1200 to 1500 who go every week...

Meaning 1500 to 1800 fans who consider themselves Aces fans are sat most weeks not attending the track..

It wouldn't take much to get an extra 200, or more or so of those 'latent' fans through the turnstiles each week I would say..

A few special offers for those who haven't been for a few weeks may get them out of their armchairs, and any income from them, (even reduced price income) will be extra, over and above what your die hards regularly deliver.. 

The sport has die hards who will come every week regardless of who is making up the teams and credibility of competition, therefore the sport has a unique opportunity to move their fan base forward on the back of these fans' incredible loyalty..

I would suggest most clubs have at least as many 'fans' that dont attend regularly as those who do..

Therefore to be succesful you don't need to bring in new customers, sometimes you just have to get those who already know who you are, and have an affinity with you, to frequent your enterprise more often than they currently do..

Edited by mikebv

Can't help feeling it would be useful for somebody outside speedway - possibly involved with another, more successful sport - to come in, speak to relevant parties and make a few suggestions. A 'fresh eye', dispassionate, without a vested interest, might be able to see the wood and the trees - not to mention the green fields beyond.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

Fans have been trying to come up with new ideas for years some good some bad , many promoters regard them as keyboard warriors.:neutral:

• Like 2

Personally I felt it was a massive shame when Buster Chapmans son dropped out of the sport. Not everyone’s cup of tea but he had some great ideas when he was involved, it’s a shame some of the ‘experienced’ promotors never let him see them through. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Fans have been trying to come up with new ideas for years some good some bad , many promoters regard them as keyboard warriors.:neutral:

Some of those “keyboard warriors” are successful business people 

• Like 4

It's always been 'my way or no way' with the promoters in this country. Just hand over your cash and keep quiet. That's their business plan.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I made a few suggestions that would basically cost nothing and potentially bring in more punters ...eg, a questionaire paper slipped into the program with a space for the person to fill in their details. These would then be deposited in a box near the exit. 

I seem to remember such a questionaire paper being issued in the late 90's early 00's. From memory it had a load of contrived questions on it not really addressing the real issues... also not everyone buys a program so maybe just a customer suggestions box located somewhere around the stadium... maybe directly above the skips :lol:

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

I seem to remember such a questionaire paper being issued in the late 90's early 00's. From memory it had a load of contrived questions on it not really addressing the real issues... also not everyone buys a program so maybe just a customer suggestions box located somewhere around the stadium... maybe directly above the skips :lol:

I recall during the Purchase (?) years at Cowley we were issued with questionaires on entry to fill in.  Steve was a great bloke and would mingle with the crowd engaging with the fans before he became disillusioned with the sport.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I recall during the Purchase (?) years at Cowley we were issued with questionaires on entry to fill in.  Steve was a great bloke and would mingle with the crowd engaging with the fans before he became disillusioned with the sport.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was nationwide

On 8/5/2020 at 10:04 AM, Piotr Pyszny said:

Does OP HackneyHawk (or other posters) have anyone in mind to conduct this inquiry?

Who would make a suitable inquisitor?

Well I'd like to do it! But seriously, it has to be someone from outside Speedway.  Maybe a promoter of other sports that are more popular now than they once were???

Someone made the excellent point of Promoters working together for the good of the sport and not engaging in petty rivalry.

Controversially, I think that third tier Speedway may harm the sport's popularity amongst outsiders and maybe should only exist as second halves of senior Speedway.  The 'quality of the racing and presentation is just not as good and therefore the uninitiated go along and are disillusioned, not knowing that they have watched an inferior product.

All of you fans of third tier tracks please try and see the sport's dire predicament before taking me to task on my opinion.......

On 8/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, Jonny the spud said:

it ain’t rocket science 

David Hemsley tried the questionnaire,the interval entertainment and giving out posters but to no avail. Even though I enjoy sidecars, I would not put them on during a meeting as they cut up the track too much.

Edited by Skodaman
typo