British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2021

54 minutes ago, iainb said:

If you actually read it properly you'll see that he said he pays rent. That's all, didn't mention anything else

Probably just like the guy that sells the burgers does.

So they get paid…

4 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

So they get paid…

Not based on what's sold

13 hours ago, iainb said:

Not based on what's sold

So the club gets a guaranteed income stream through rent. This makes budgeting easier. And the vendor in the shop takes all the risk having to pay rent "upfront" and carries the risk of having stock left at the end of the season.  It would appear a no brainer to me that the club made the decision not to sell merch because that is financially in the best interest of the club. Remember, the Bates run Leicester as a business so would weigh up risk & reward before making any decisions.

• Thanks 3

The BSPL should collectively get together and all share the costs and profits..

One generic style of T Shirt, Jacket, Scarves, Car stickers, Pens, Prog Boards etc with the individual clubs brand on each one to differentiate...

Volume purchases should result in better margins...

Individual clubs doing things on their own on a small level (however well meaning) is one of the issues the sport has...

Maybe even use the US model of all sales revenue on merchandise being divided up between the clubs equally regardless of individual clubs sales? Meaning all share the money..

The US franchise system realises that wiithout opponents to compete against there are no competitions, and weak opponents can be brand damaging, which impacts all..

• Like 2

If I were subbing my merchandise operation out and were a business man, I'd be putting it out to tender, there would be an SLA, targets to meet, a % of takings, a say on what was being produced to represent my company/franchise for starters

20 hours ago, iainb said:

Leicester are not receiving anything for your purchases though

IainB....As i have told you on many occasions Leicester recieve a rent for the rights to do the merchandise

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JIROUT said:

IainB....As i have told you on many occasions Leicester recieve a rent for the rights to do the merchandise

Yes, I did mention that earlier.

Looking at merchandise as we have had none at Berwick for a while Dispeed seem to have there feet under the table doing stuff.

20 minutes ago, Normski said:

Looking at merchandise as we have had none at Berwick for a while Dispeed seem to have there feet under the table doing stuff.

I think they're a Polish company that produce apparel for a few clubs both here and abroad, including Leicester (JayBea). There's also another Polish company I've linked to, maybe on the other thread. 

https://sportgangshop.pl/sklep/

I noticed in the GP at the weekend that even the Polish reserve and his pit crew were wearing their own bespoke shirts

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

The BSPL should collectively get together and all share the costs and profits..

One generic style of T Shirt, Jacket, Scarves, Car stickers, Pens, Prog Boards etc with the individual clubs brand on each one to differentiate...

Volume purchases should result in better margins...

Individual clubs doing things on their own on a small level (however well meaning) is one of the issues the sport has...

Maybe even use the US model of all sales revenue on merchandise being divided up between the clubs equally regardless of individual clubs sales? Meaning all share the money..

The US franchise system realises that wiithout opponents to compete against there are no competitions, and weak opponents can be brand damaging, which impacts all..

When you say all profits should be divided between all clubs.......Does that still stand if a loss is made overall

5 hours ago, iainb said:

If I were subbing my merchandise operation out and were a business man, I'd be putting it out to tender, there would be an SLA, targets to meet, a % of takings, a say on what was being produced to represent my company/franchise for starters

Many clubs do have a say in clothing that is produced.....Your point about the 2 reserves pit crew all being decked out is exactly that...Riders do there own Caps..Polos...Hoodies etc...Many sell through the track shop and most we sell without taking any commission....We want to do the best we can for our customers and to advertise the club as well as we possibly can......But you have to remember Speedway is not Football ...F1.....etc...The profits are not large...The work is hard but we do it cos we love the Sport.....If you think massive companies doing the merchandise will double the crowds and keep the merchandise affordable then i think you may be living in a different universe

8 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

When you say all profits should be divided between all clubs.......Does that still stand if a loss is made overall

Absolutely...

However, there is a far greater chance of a 'collective' making something work and sharing the burden of costs than any single individual. .

It's the same with the marketing of the sport...

Many tracks will do their own individual things to the best of their abilities, and have various degrees of success...

Instead of budgeting collectively a certain amount to run a "British Speedway" marketing campaign from which the clubs can then work off the back of..

Considering they all need each other it does amaze me how insular looking so many are....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Absolutely...

However, there is a far greater chance of a 'collective' making something work and sharing the burden of costs than any single individual. .

It's the same with the marketing of the sport...

Many tracks will do their own individual things to the best of their abilities, and have various degrees of success...

Instead of budgeting collectively a certain amount to run a "British Speedway" marketing campaign from which the clubs can then work off the back of..

Considering they all need each other it does amaze me how insular looking so many are....

So what in your opinion would be an amount of say baseball caps a club would need in a season

17 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

So what in your opinion would be an amount of say baseball caps a club would need in a season

Given the great unknown potential who does know? 

The style, the quality and the price would have such a major bearing on any success..

What I am saying is that every track doing its own thing will never unleash the potential that can exist if properly organised at national level, rather than provincial. ..

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Given the great unknown potential who does know? 

The style, the quality and the price would have such a major bearing on any success..

What I am saying is that every track doing its own thing will never unleash the potential that can exist if properly organised at national level, rather than provincial. ..

That is one helluva risk though dont you think......We do several clubs and try and be different with every one....Fans dont like generic items for similar clubs...King's Lynn and Ipswich dont want to look the same

• Like 1