British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v BIRMINGHAM (May 22nd) 6.30pm - followed by Bullets v Belle Vue Colts

1 hour ago, sandking072 said:

Would anyone have the complete race times for both meetings last night? Many thanks in advance.

Go on speedway updates site 

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

So... Kai Huckenbeck pulled out of the European challenge meeting the other day, the one that fellow German was ‘on stand by’ for... and he was replaced by Ivacic...? Could it be that he maybe couldn’t get to Berwick in time due to racing in Germany on Friday night for Landshut... Which would surely mean no facility? Because he quite clearly wasn’t on stand by, and even if he was, that surely does not give a facility???? 

In terms of last night, brilliant to be back at a stadium, bar Greg Blair the racing was awful, shock, don’t know why Jye got EX in ht3, but the main question has to be why we haven’t replaced Coty, as it was surely obvious that he wasn’t making it over, or anytime soon. Harris brilliant bar ht1, Leon and NBJ who afaik hasn’t even rode the ‘new’ track before the only bright sparks. Gappmaier worrying, he’s only good for home meetings in the first place... Good to see a not bad sized crowd as well

They just make it up as they go along regarding missing riders.Berwick knew he wasn’t going to be there ,end off.If the opposition get a good replacement you can’t fault them.

Apologies if this has already been posted but can anyone give a guesstimate of the crowd number.....? 

Some folk really need to give themselves a shake , first meeting after almost 19 months!  And the moaning starts, Berwick down to 5 riders after heat 3 and this after the opening 2 heats with 5 ones , 

any team would have a job on there hands at this point more so with Harris in such good form and Nicholls.

enjoyed the night and great to be back , well done to the promotion for giving us speedway back , the work gone into this I can imagine would have been enormous 

Edited by penchev

5 minutes ago, penchev said:

Some folk really need to give themselves a shake , first meeting after almost 19 months!  And the moaning starts, Berwick down to 5 riders after heat 3 and this after the opening 2 heats with 5 ones , 

any team would have a job on there hands at this point more so with Harris in such good form and Nicholls.

enjoyed the night and great to be back , well done to the promotion for giving us speedway back , the work gone into this I can imagine would have been enormous 

Nicholls score suggests he wasnt really on form

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, penchev said:

Nice Comments   Not great night then for Berwick but backs to wall early on? You could be right with the few regular 'Glass Half Empty' contributors!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, penchev said:

The main thing is you enjoyed your night.This is a forum where people post their views,you gave yours in the 1st paragraph,positive or negative it’s only people thoughts.That’s Social Media these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bandit59 said:

Very disappointing result, could not have foreseen Jyes accident, but think they need to address the Coty situation, giving Dany G an extra ride away from home is a no no.The new track work done does not seem to have made any difference if last nights racing is anything to go by.Good bit of team riding by NBJ for Kyle.Hopefully better next week or can see crowds dwindling.

I did. That was my first port of call as always. Not all of the times are there. Thanks anyway. 

3 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

So... Kai Huckenbeck pulled out of the European challenge meeting the other day, the one that fellow German was ‘on stand by’ for... and he was replaced by Ivacic...? Could it be that he maybe couldn’t get to Berwick in time due to racing in Germany on Friday night for Landshut... Which would surely mean no facility? Because he quite clearly wasn’t on stand by, and even if he was, that surely does not give a facility???? 

In terms of last night, brilliant to be back at a stadium, bar Greg Blair the racing was awful, shock, don’t know why Jye got EX in ht3, but the main question has to be why we haven’t replaced Coty, as it was surely obvious that he wasn’t making it over, or anytime soon. Harris brilliant bar ht1, Leon and NBJ who afaik hasn’t even rode the ‘new’ track before the only bright sparks. Gappmaier worrying, he’s only good for home meetings in the first place... Good to see a not bad sized crowd as well

It would be great to know exactly what meeting Grobauer was in for Birmingham to be granted a guest facility. Maybe he was a reserve for the reserves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandit59 said:

Very disappointing result, could not have foreseen Jyes accident, but think they need to address the Coty situation, giving Dany G an extra ride away from home is a no no.The new track work done does not seem to have made any difference if last nights racing is anything to go by.Good bit of team riding by NBJ for Kyle.Hopefully better next week or can see crowds dwindling.

The Coty Garcia situation needs addressing as you say, looking at this I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

http://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202105/23/WS60a99543a31024ad0bac0c9b.html

• Sad 1

Looks like a fortunate start to Brummies campaign but doubt Etheridge injury cost the Bandits the win, 12 points is allot to ask from a middle order rider with an average of >7.00.

I haven't read the thread until results were in, why the absence of Brummies two Germans? How did that impact the score? Suspect the  8 points from 4 Nicholls scored is on a par with what Berwick regulars would expect from Riss? Nicol probably did better than the rider he replaced. Doubt such a big track would suit either guest, but could be wrong.

The big bonus Brummies wise are the points scored by Shanes, Thomas on debut and  in particular Morris on his first (competitive) action in almost 2 years.

1 hour ago, penchev said:

Am I one of those folk who needs a shake?
I’ve bought merchandise, bought a season ticket... I pay into the supporters club 5-1 draw. I’ll continue to turn up every week to ensure I do my part in supporting the club but I’ll have a moan if I want to thank you very much. That doesn’t make me any less a supporter. Aye,  just getting to be back trackside was great in itself, normality as such on the way, but people saw lots of ifs and buts in the line up pre COVID too I’m afraid! And it showed! 
And by the way, take a look at those you say “are moaning”. They’re ones who’ve been going for years and will continue to still attend as long as the speedway is around! We just happen to care and want to see the promotion rewarded for the work they’ve clearly put into it! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Unfortunately, there isn't an answer to the problem of riders missing meetings, and this is not just confined to foreigners - British based riders also miss their club matches when they have a preference for more financially lucrative continental bookings, and they will come up with the same excuses (and more often not, will get away with them!)

Even if all clubs only employed British riders, the same situation would inevitably arise. What is needed is a complete re-evaulation of how speedway is run - with only British or British-based riders employed with watertight contracts compelling them to ride exclusively for their British team, but can anyone see that ever happening? 

We would all like to see our teams contain only our own contracted riders who only ride for us, like football clubs do, but speedway has gone too far away from this to ever be able to contemplate doing this.

What I am saying is that there really is no answer but to try to make the best of an impossible situation.

• Like 2

Two guests and rider replacement on first night. This is why speedway can not be taken seriously. Only the die hards going RN4L 

• Like 2

Great to be back watching live sport and it is true that sport is nothing without fans. Entry and exit to the stadium seemed to work well and was easy to follow, admittedly I did get to the track earlier than normal so avoided any cueing, exiting was just as easy with the extra doors opened at the back of the stand, so well done to all.

Congratulations to Birmingham on their win, thoroughly deserved, they took advantage of Berwick`s bad luck losing Jye Etheridge in Ht3 and ran out comfortable winners. Decent night for our two reserves but last night showed Berwick cannot cover for the absent Coty Garcia medium or long term, if a replacement is called for and in the current circumstances I wouldn't know where another rider could come from, hopefully the management will have looked at this already.

Home defeats are no good at anytime, lets hope for a first home win next Saturday against Scunthorpe.

• Like 1