British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

New, New Cross memories

• Ist möglicherweise ein Schwarz-Weiß-Bild von 6 Personen und außen
  • Millwall players training outside the ground, with the Greyhound Tote up above them. Looks like you could have a free view into the speedway stadium , as well as the Den
  • Like 3

On 4/12/2023 at 6:23 PM, iris123 said:
  • Ist möglicherweise ein Schwarz-Weiß-Bild von 6 Personen und außen
  • Millwall players training outside the ground, with the Greyhound Tote up above them. Looks like you could have a free view into the speedway stadium , as well as the Den

Let em all come down to the Den!

On 4/6/2023 at 4:48 PM, Split said:

Well, I often walked home from New Cross Speedway and Millwall football ground in the 60's. I never encountered any thieving thugs and honestly never felt threatened in any way on my way home in the dark. It was quite a walk to East Dulwich but I was young and fit and a stop for fish & chips on the way provided some nourishment.

But it was a bit dodgy being an Arsenal, Charlton, or any other fan around there in the 60s. That's a fair old hike, New Cross to East Dulwich. I lived in Nunhead, about 30 minute walk, for the dogs post 63 and the Den. Dulwich Hamlet about 30 mins walk as well. Dulwich and New Cross 2 different worlds now.

I used to go across to Highbury when i was 10 or11, train and tube, no major problems 66/67. But even then there were certain areas you didnt feel safe in.

Edited by auntie doris

On 4/4/2023 at 5:32 PM, BOBBATH said:

Great photos of a track I sadly never got to visit. Is the area shown  around  the Old Kent road atough area these days-streetcrime etc.? Is it still a white working class area ?

Was there last year, I reckon most of the white working-class cockneys have moved to Kent. A bit of gentrification around the Old Kent Road. The New Den is still full of white faces, very few black faces, but same as Arsenal, Wet Spam, Chelsea, etc., most fans won't live locally like they used to. Lots of different nationalities around there now, Jamaicans, Nigerians, Nepalese, Romanians, Portuguese, Brazilians, Turkish, Polish, Chinese, Asian, etc., stores

Edited by auntie doris

On 4/8/2023 at 4:06 PM, steve roberts said:

Personally I think the media often doesn't help...stories abound regarding unsafe streets and it can give the impression that one is vulnerable when stepping outside your front door rather than allowing a bit of common sense to put things into some sort or perspective. I grew up on Blackbird Leys and had great childhood/teenage years but the local press would always look for stories to put the Estate down. My mother was a local councillor and was often having to take issue with the local press for being disproportionate with the facts...especially over the infamous "joy riding" episode that achieved national notoriety.

I remember Joycey from my night's out in Oxford City Centre in the 70s.

8 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I remember Joycey from my night's out in Oxford City Centre in the 70s.

Blimey...that takes me back!