British Speedway Forum
SharpenRake

Glasgow v Newcastle Championship - Friday 15 April 2022 7.30pm

36 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

That's twice I've seen Ben Morley and Jack Smith mentioned, but no one mentions Connor Coles, who is better than both imo, especially at Brough. Ben Morley is alright, but I don't rate Jack Smith at all... And it's still too early for Archie, but I know Dave has been involved with him since he was little, so of course he'll be a little bit biased...

If Justin Sedgmen is coming over, get him signed for George and start looking for someone to replace BWD. Even if it's something like Ondrej Smetana or a new 4.00 Dane (the Basso signing of 2022 possibly?) Something different please... George Congreve needs a season of second halves around the country I think, if he can afford it...

What's Josef Franc doing these days, I bet he'd still be a solid rider, and what happened to Christian Henry's comeback, was it just a few rides in Aussie just for fun, or something more?? Dare I mention Davey Watt? :rofl: Just to trigger the older fans...

Ludvig would be ideal if he was truly there the other night...

1. Ludvig Lindgren

2. Matthew Wethers

3. James Wright

4. Max Clegg

5. Paul Starke

6. Lee Complin

7. Justin Sedgmen/Ondrej Smetana

From what I've heard Luddy makes me & THJ look like athletes

38 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Plus Poole couldn't announce anyone for ages because of the stadium rent situation. 

Yeah that's true.. so why sign riders ? They must have been told that they would be back 

8 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

From what I've heard Luddy makes me & THJ look like athletes

Him and Pavlova still scored decently in Sweden last year... But I can imagine both them bridges are burned are they not? Even if it is a new promotion...

24 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

Him and Pavlova still scored decently in Sweden last year... But I can imagine both them bridges are burned are they not? Even if it is a new promotion...

Yeah worse than black toast on luddys behalf but big Vic  could be a decent signing if he's up for a return

8 hours ago, ljriley90 said:

Couldnt believe my eyes watching ht2 when congreves bike conked out. Looked like he had no mechanic on stand by, not one team mate legged it down to help, no management. Dont know if thats due to the ramp at glasgow?

Looks like he has one bike. 

I feel he must have been a part of the bwd deal otherwise jack smith or ben morley wouod be better shouts. More experience and better machinery for starters.

Anyway drawn a line under away matches newcastle. At home is where you need to do your best work. Clegg, starke and wethers can all beat opposing heat leaders. Wright possibpy complin are mixing it with the 2nd string and reserves. Time to magic up anither number 1 if bwd is not staying around.

How about brady kurtz at 1?

Fair comments, also fans need to consider that Newcastle have raced two very strong home sides. I don't expect them to win anywhere, but should score more at other tracks.

I just had a dream that Nico Covatti and Lidvig Lindgren signed for us... I could tell it was just a dream though :rofl: :sad:

7 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Yeah worse than black toast on luddys behalf but big Vic  could be a decent signing if he's up for a return

Why is Ludvigs case so bad? Even with the new promotion? I was never a huge for of Pavlova but he'd be a massive upgrade on George. And the only Swede in British speedway!!

10 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Archie Freeman!! A NL reserve who didnt score a point in the Championship last year? Thank god you dont pick the team 

To be fair he couldn't pick a team any worse than we currently have.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StevePark said:

The main thing for us is the "Poland problem." Most riders above 8 want to do Poland, which rules us out of the equation before we start.

Is Poland really that big a problem though? In the past we've had Danny King, Robert Lambert, Richie & Stevie, Lewis Kerr but apart from Lambert now in Poland, the others haven't returned for various reasons and last season we tried for Batchelor and he wasn't riding Poland and Vissing didn't ride at all last year but Birmingham signed him so why couldn't we? Nicholls doesn't ride in Poland and he joined a team that's just been brought back no one knows how that will go so there's an element of risk attached to that. 

I can't imagine BWD and Congreve being cheap usually with Aussies or NZ they generally want air fair paid, plus a van, and somewhere to stay during the season. Now your'e not telling me if you tried to go for Nicholls for example if you dangled a few extra pounds in front of him or Harris yes he rides in France sometimes but I'm sure we could've worked around his schedule he has to pass Newcastle to get to Berwick!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Of course, George is better than all of our number 7s last year I would agree... But so is Connor Coles and Justin Sedgmen... Better than George too, I wouldn't mind keeping George either tbh... But Brad has to go (if he hasn't already...)

Didn't we have Connor Coles a few seasons ago? He struggled to get around Brough I'm sure.

Just to say well done to the Glasgow riders. Everyone said it would be a comfortable win but they still had to go out and perform on the track and they did. Felt sorry for Paul Starke who had bike problems whilst Clegg, Wethers and Wright showed some fight and Complin will come good once he gets match fit, he's still got a thrilling way of riding. Felt the Newcastle manager could have used him better. Find a no.1 and add someone like Sedgmen and you'll become a lot more competitive. Well done to Glasgow, good crowd and hopefully all back for more on Friday. 

9 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Archie was put in the team Purley as a learning curve last season which done him well & starting at reserve for the colts in the national League this year is a good move for him & hopefully come the end of the season he's in the main body of the team & stays there  & keeps improving in the right way without to much pressure put on him & I'm sure mark lemon will really look after him as he's the best person for young Archie in this part of his career 

He might come good but he's nowhere near ready for CL yet. How does being half a lap behind every race help someone progress? Its not good for him at all 

9 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

He might come good but he's nowhere near ready for CL yet. How does being half a lap behind every race help someone progress? Its not good for him at all 

That's why it's good for him to start at reserve & progress to 2 or 4 in the national League & take the next step onto the ladder of his career 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

Didn't we have Connor Coles a few seasons ago? He struggled to get around Brough I'm sure.

Yes, we had Connor, and he was a very raw rider at the time (2017 I believe?) It is now 5 years later, and yes he isn't a superstar in the making, but he is better than Jack Smith imo, who definitely couldn't ride Brough at all and maybe not quite as good as Ben Morley on most tracks, but I could see him beating Ben at Newcastle. Connor would be a decent 2.00 rider, if we needed one.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, phillipsr said:

He was never half a lap behind in any race, except when his back wheel shifted and he still got a third place.. He couldn't gate, but was mainly on the pace towards the end. Archie had been asked to be No 7, but refused as he knew he wasn't ready. After all the other 7's were found to be useless Rob asked Archie to fill in for the rest of the season to get more experience and got a guarantee not to be dropped. The deal was get to that experience this year(2021) and be given a teamplace next year (2022).

Pity you spout rubbish on here all the time without checking for the truth. At Newcastle we all know Archie's potential, like also Edinburgh and his new team Belle Vue does..

1 hour ago, bloom89 said:

Is Poland really that big a problem though? In the past we've had Danny King, Robert Lambert, Richie & Stevie, Lewis Kerr but apart from Lambert now in Poland, the others haven't returned for various reasons and last season we tried for Batchelor and he wasn't riding Poland and Vissing didn't ride at all last year but Birmingham signed him so why couldn't we? Nicholls doesn't ride in Poland and he joined a team that's just been brought back no one knows how that will go so there's an element of risk attached to that. 

I can't imagine BWD and Congreve being cheap usually with Aussies or NZ they generally want air fair paid, plus a van, and somewhere to stay during the season. Now your'e not telling me if you tried to go for Nicholls for example if you dangled a few extra pounds in front of him or Harris yes he rides in France sometimes but I'm sure we could've worked around his schedule he has to pass Newcastle to get to Berwick!

The issue is they have to "get in early", as many riders get fixed up well before the season ends..

So, any teams being "not sure if they will run" wont be attracting any riders of a bona fide HL level..

And the UK only DU's of a certain level will always want to keep their options open towards Poland, as the inevitable injuries or poor performances will impact the Polish Div Two and Three teams, meaning potential jobs for them as the season progresses.. 

Basically. Sign for Newcastle and you cant then ride in Poland..

They have a rich history of spotting talent and bringing it over. Talent which then moves on to bigger things..

However. That was in the days when Poland on a Sunday didnt dominate the Speedway landscape..

If you are a talented young Scandiniavian, European, or Aussie now, you can go straight to Poland and earn a fair few quid more than the UK can shell out...

And as the GP shows, no longer do you need to race over here regularly to become World Class...

• Like 1