British Speedway Forum
Phil83

Newcastle now closed !!!

24 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Tha no use to me mate, like a said!,,, av heard that allotment folk seek such stuff, so shift the lot if you can. Am sure the rest of the guys won't complain. 

BTW,,, a do have another pair of wellies (almost brand new, been round the heap once),,, size 9, £93.01 paid, £60 to you?,,, al chuck in a new pair of socks for nowt.

I'd have the socks but the wellies will play havoc with me bunyions 

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2022 at 6:10 PM, nmagee72 said:

perhaps Gateshead Council might be more open ?

there is a great location just off Albany Road/Quarryfield Road, behind the Dynamix Skate Park, currently a disused or rarely used Moto Cross/Off Road track. good parking, walking distance from gateshead interchange and all main routes etc

there is a railway line right next to it so noise should not be an issue ? with the busy A184 also adjacent, while its clearly already had permission for some sort of motor sport activities.

if you want to google map for a look, search "downcast studios" - its to the east over the railway line.

It's a really good shout.  Loads of relatively new investment in the area with the new Gateshead College, Sage and Baltic plus all the quayside apartments and OU buildings.  Then you have the new Arena under construction and perhaps a new Metro/Local Rail station if the Leamside expansion gets the go ahead.  Access isn't too bad from Felling By-pass or via the quayside and there's plenty of car parks close by or more unused land which could be used for parking. I'm not really sure why the area hasn't been used for housing or who it's owned by. Lots of residential investment on the other side of the by-pass.

I can see Gateshead Council being behind something sports related in this area, it's close to the International Stadium and sports academy, but as has been pointed out before the cost would be prohibitive. In lieu of a millionaire without a clue you'd need to attract grant funding.  Not easy. Sport England is an obvious starting point but they tend to focus on Olympic sports. Speedway isn't but BMX & Skateboarding are. If you can pitch the facility as a multi sports training facility you might get somewhere. That's a lot of contacts to make and manage and even then you'll not get 100% funding. Gateshead FC tried to do something similar with NHS funding thwarted by the credit crunch in 2008 I believe.

There's also a decent plot of disused land at the north end of the Team Valley Trading Estate next to the A1 Lobley Hill junction, currently used for the occasional fair. Maybe too close to Festival Park housing.

Not impossible to pull off but definitely a long term project for someone.

• Like 1

Max Clegg to Leicester. 
Riding at reserve to, great move for him.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Max Clegg to Leicester. 
Riding at reserve to, great move for him.

Rather than a wooden spoon he'd have got with us now he'll probably imo get a silver 1 with the lions.. as I think they'll win the league 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Rather than a wooden spoon he'd have got with us now he'll probably imo get a silver 1 with the lions.. as I think they'll win the league 

Is it not Gold for winning???

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Winditon said:

Cups are silver in colour........

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Diamondboy said:

Cups are silver in colour........

So what colour is the "Gold Cup" raced for at Cheltenham or the Jules Rimet Trophy or the football World Cup?

Just sayin  like...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

So what colour is the "Gold Cup" raced for at Cheltenham or the Jules Rimet Trophy or the football World Cup?

Just sayin  like...

You tell him John. I'd prefer Gold. Ha ha.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Winditon said:

Medal yeah but is the trophy not silver

18 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Medal yeah but is the trophy not silver

For Speedway it can be whatever the club buys... when Worky got the treble they had to buy the medals for the lads and one of the cups as one had been lost... Nowt of BSPL...

Regards 

THJ 

14 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

For Speedway it can be whatever the club buys... when Worky got the treble they had to buy the medals for the lads and one of the cups as one had been lost... Nowt of BSPL...

Regards 

THJ 

Says it all about speedway sadly.... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winditon said:

You tell him John. I'd prefer Gold. Ha ha.

Anything but wood I prefer