British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric i

4 more years of Gorzow GP

8 hours ago, iris123 said:

Tbh 50 years ago was another world

The UK was the centre of speedway. Access to fairly good stadia, good crowds and tv interest. Half of the speedway world was behind the iron curtain with little money for the sport and fan access from outside was restricted. Even in the west things have improved. For instance since i started going to Denmark Esbjerg and Holsted have made major improvements to the stadium and Vojens less so. But the major change is Poland is for all to see. Stadiums are great and sponsorship to match i'd imagine

The UK has been left behind without a doubt. That can't be denied and the centre of garvity has moved east 

Commonwealth riders had to qualify through British rounds and ride for the British team and US riders had no route into anything. That is how unfair the speedway world was back then 

I don't disagree with anything you say, but my main point was that as far as British fans go, that was perfectly okay. Things have changed, and it's almost like British fans resent the fact that we are only a bit-part player in modern speedway.

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

There are many problems and maybe more meetings in Poland is one of the few options open

For one, travel is most probably going to become very expensive in the near future. Which could rule out meetings being held outside of Europe. Will anyone want to take the risk of moving the whole thing down under, to the US or the mooted meeting in Argentina at this time ?

Then you have the lack of other alternatives 

Germany and Teterow are being criticised. Middle of nowhere, bad track etc. And rightly so

Denmark has the expensive Parken that lost its popularity. Too expensive and far away from the Danish speedway centre. So we are back at the oft criticised Vojens

Then we have Prague. Good city, terrible track and the alternative at Pardubice is as ever a no go because they don't want it

We have had goes in Finland, Latvia, Italy etc that were all rubbish in many peoples eyes

The one option of Togliatti that might have been ok will seemingly be a no go for years to come at a guess

Again, I agree with everything you say. If we want a successful GP series, we have to go with what works.

4 hours ago, Shockster said:

All the top riders are now based in Poland.  As long as the meetings are well supported, I don't see an issue. No real advantage as I say, as they all ride the tracks regularly.

A great point that people seem to forget...

On 7/1/2022 at 12:36 PM, Shockster said:

All the top riders are now based in Poland.  As long as the meetings are well supported, I don't see an issue. No real advantage as I say, as they all ride the tracks regularly.

Rename it The Polish League Riders Championship

18 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Rename it The Polish League Riders Championship

Nah, they have that one already.

On 7/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, eric i said:

I think the problem actually stems from the FIM, when they put the tender out they should have specified a limit on how many GPs could be staged in anyone country. It would not surprise me if there is even more GPs in Poland in the future because its far more profitable than alternatives in the rest of Europe. 

Why would the FIM or more likely the series rights holders want to restrict how many lucrative GPs they stage each year?

As you say, it's all about maximising revenue and very little to do with sharing things around, quite aside from the fact hardly anyone else actually wants to stage a GP.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Why would the FIM or more likely the series rights holders want to restrict how many lucrative GPs they stage each year?

As you say, it's all about maximising revenue and very little to do with sharing things around, quite aside from the fact hardly anyone else actually wants to stage a GP.

I never said it was all about maximising revenue as they don't want the World Championship series to lose credibility hence they attempt to go to the likes of Croatia, Russia and Australia. Bringing the speedway GP to different places brings exposure to the sport in that country, long term this has to better for the sport than making a few extra quid by staging loads of rounds in Poland. Maybe I am wrong though and Eurosport events and the FIM need to have 4,5, 6 events in Poland to make the series pay :)

44 minutes ago, eric i said:

Bringing the speedway GP to different places brings exposure to the sport in that country, long term this has to better for the sport than making a few extra quid by staging loads of rounds in Poland. 

Does it? GPs have been held in Norway, Finland, Italy, Slovenia, Germany, New Zealand and Australia over the years and I think it's highly questionable whether it's done a thing for the sport in those countries. The interest in speedway really never encompassed that many countries - maybe at it's peak around 10-15 where there was significant interest, and perhaps another 15 where speedway was ridden - but this largely seems to have contracted during the GP era.

I also doubt the series rights holders, whether Discovery or IMG/BSI before them, are much interested in what's better for the sport and far more interested in making a few extra quid - whether that's from the hosts and/or minimising the costs of putting together material for their television channels. Having a GP in the likes Teterow has little to do with bringing exposure to the sport in Germany, and everything to do with being a lower cost venue to pad out the series.

Do we even know where the supposed Australian GP is going to be held in 4 months time?  How are Australian fans supposed to plan their time off and travel...? 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Does it? GPs have been held in Norway, Finland, Italy, Slovenia, Germany, New Zealand and Australia over the years and I think it's highly questionable whether it's done a thing for the sport in those countries. The interest in speedway really never encompassed that many countries - maybe at it's peak around 10-15 where there was significant interest, and perhaps another 15 where speedway was ridden - but this largely seems to have contracted during the GP era.

Its not going to cause a speedway boom in those countries but the sport could get some press or get the attention of the locals which it would otherwise have not. The impact maybe small in terms bring up the attendances of local meetings but I think it will be much larger than having another GP in Gorzow were I bet every person in the town already know what speedway is.

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I also doubt the series rights holders, whether Discovery or IMG/BSI before them, are much interested in what's better for the sport and far more interested in making a few extra quid - whether that's from the hosts and/or minimising the costs of putting together material for their television channels. Having a GP in the likes Teterow has little to do with bringing exposure to the sport in Germany, and everything to do with being a lower cost venue to pad out the series.

I agree entirely, Discovery and IMG/BSI motive to go to Russia and Australia was largely to bring some prestige and credibility to a World championship. It would be interesting to know if Discovery are contractually obliged to visit x amount of countries or if they have to stage a gp in Australia/not in Europe. Teterow is good example of why they don't care about what's best for speedway, Germany has 21 other tracks and while some might not be suitable for a speedway GP, I am sure there at least a few that would showcase speedway better but Teterow is cheapest to stage/most profitable.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:45 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

Do we even know where the supposed Australian GP is going to be held in 4 months time?  How are Australian fans supposed to plan their time off and travel...? 

I know - nowhere. There is nothing planned for 2022. Something might happen in 2023 but the multi million dollar losses of New Zealand and Melbourne are making it difficult to find a venue. For Discovery to hold an event in Australia, they’d have to agree to pay a venue - the complete opposite of how they do business. But, if they chose to do that, then they’d have plenty of takers, happy to put on a financially risk free event

• Like 1