British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spinkox

Cole

Does anyone know what modifications Howard Cole made to the JAP engine - such that he had new timing covers made with his name on it ??

Maybe around 1970...

I remember when Howard was just a Kid (Bodie)!!!

From an engine viewpoint... Have a look at:-

https://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/speedwaybikes/cole.htm

[Need help getting this url to work]

Howard senior, the Kids father, I'm thinking was also known as George. It's trying to remember 50 years back that's fuzzy. His wife ran the ladies hairdressers on the Bilston Rd at Monmore Green and he had the workshops behind that shop. It was a well known lodgings and stopping off point for young Aussies fresh to the UK.

He was a fountain of knowledge and skills to keep mine and other local youngsters JAP bikes in one piece!!!

I used to discuss the Cole engine parts with him and had a laugh once when I spotted the one way filters on the crankcase oil drain as they were aerospace hydraulic pump parts from the company I did my apprenticeship with, Integral @ Wolverhampton. 

He was a good 'Un for always having heated Castrol R fumes on the go in the workshop. :t:

Edited by Lefty
Spelling and url issues
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 2:32 PM, Lefty said:

From an engine viewpoint... Have a look at:-

https://cybermotorcycle.com/archives/speedwaybikes/cole.htm

[Need help getting this url to work]

Howard senior, the Kids father, I'm thinking was also known as George. It's trying to remember 50 years back that's fuzzy. His wife ran the ladies hairdressers on the Bilston Rd at Monmore Green and he had the workshops behind that shop. It was a well known lodgings and stopping off point for young Aussies fresh to the UK.

He was a fountain of knowledge and skills to keep mine and other local youngsters JAP bikes in one piece!!!

I used to discuss the Cole engine parts with him and had a laugh once when I spotted the one way filters on the crankcase oil drain as they were aerospace hydraulic pump parts from the company I did my apprenticeship with, Integral @ Wolverhampton. 

He was a good 'Un for always having heated Castrol R fumes on the go in the workshop. :t:

Didn't George Cole ride for Tamworth in 1947?

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Didn't George Cole ride for Tamworth in 1947?

I can't find any record of anyone named Cole riding for Tamworth in 1947.

9 hours ago, chunky said:

I can't find any record of anyone named Cole riding for Tamworth in 1947.

George Cole Junior, full name George Howard Cole and briefly known as Kid Bodie, started riding on Midlands tracks as a 3 or 4-year-old.  He first appeared at Birmingham, perhaps also at Tamworth, in around 1947/48.  An unrelated George Cole is believed to have been a mechanic who assisted Keith Gurtner and although he may have had practice rides on southern tracks in the mid 1950s he did not appear in official races.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:32 PM, Lefty said:

Thanks Lefty - that link works fine. Difficult to believe they would have done all that engineering and got the cc at 600. There would be no future for the engine in speedway.

Maybe that was an unreliable legend.

I am constantly amazed by BL65's historical and detailed knowledge of the sport. You should be appointed speedway guru mate!! I always enjoy your posts