British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Spain And Speedway

Have there been any further developments in the efforts to get Russell Paine's track in Spain running?

Edited by speedyguy

Think the whole speedway espana thing was pie in the sky. The cancellation of the opening meeting had nothing to do with the mayor. The track was no where near ready and now it seems that they have run out of money and abandoned the project, if wimbledon got going again they could fetch the fence back and make use of it though because it will just go to waste if it's left out there in spain.

Oh dear. :( It must have cost them a lot of money in the first place to try and get things going in Spain. Shame it's all come to nothing.

Think the whole speedway espana thing was pie in the sky. The cancellation of the opening meeting had nothing to do with the mayor. The track was no where near ready and now it seems that they have run out of money and abandoned the project, if wimbledon got going again they could fetch the fence back and make use of it though because it will just go to waste if it's left out there in spain.

Good attitude! there are quite a few ex-riders out there, maybe they have something in the pipeline :wink:

Quote Badvok....." Think the whole speedway espana thing was pie in the sky. The cancellation of the opening meeting had nothing to do with the mayor. The track was no where near ready and now it seems that they have run out of money and abandoned the project, if wimbledon got going again they could fetch the fence back and make use of it though because it will just go to waste if it's left out there in spain".

What utter bol***ks you spout! No wonder you've only got nine postings on this forum You’re like many others, - to many know- it -all's hiding behind computer screens spouting sh*t. That’s why I don’t bother with it any more. BUT, I must respond on behalf of Russell, so for your information Mr Cock, Russell was out in Spain this week dealing with yet more bureaucratic rubbish, which is why the project has been held up for the last 18 months but he's not given up yet!

Steve Ribbons

Quote Badvok....." Think the whole speedway espana thing was pie in the sky. The cancellation of the opening meeting had nothing to do with the mayor. The track was no where near ready and now it seems that they have run out of money and abandoned the project, if wimbledon got going again they could fetch the fence back and make use of it though because it will just go to waste if it's left out there in spain".

What utter bol***ks you spout! No wonder you've only got nine postings on this forum You’re like many others, - to many know- it -all's hiding behind computer screens spouting sh*t. That’s why I don’t bother with it any more. BUT, I must respond on behalf of Russell, so for your information Mr Cock, Russell was out in Spain this week dealing with yet more bureaucratic rubbish, which is why the project has been held up for the last 18 months but he's not given up yet!

Steve Ribbons

Niced to hear that the project is still on, but I don't think that the tone of your post is very nice, for every know it all there are about 10 others who actually care, and want to see Russell succeed in his project.

Well I think Steve had every right to be angry knowing as he does the huge amount of money, time and effort (emotional & physical) Russ has put into his track. I know myself from talking to Russell exactly the sort of cr*p he's had to put up with and that the fact of the last minute change of heart by what passes to planning officials out there was a devastating blow.

Really glad to hear he's still battling on

Good luck mate..

Derek

Well I think Steve had every right to be angry knowing as he does the huge amount of money, time and effort (emotional & physical) Russ has put into his track.  I know myself from talking to Russell exactly the sort of cr*p he's had to put up with and that the fact of the last minute change of heart by what passes to planning officials out there was a devastating blow.

Really glad to hear he's still battling on

Good luck mate..

Derek

I Aggree, Fingers X'd for russell

Good attitude! there are quite a few ex-riders out there, maybe they have something in the pipeline  :wink:

Speedway has never succeeded in Spain. Either in pre-war days with Spanish riders (they had starters in the 1936 world championship) nor in post-war years, initially in Madrid with both Spanish and British riders. Then there were two attempts with all British riders in 1950 and 1953 in groups led by Ted Gibson. All started well crowdwise, then interest faded. Same in Majorca in the early 1970s with Ian Hoskins as promoter.

I'll be surprised if this venture, even if it does get a few meetings underway, proves a long-term success, the Spanish people will soon tire of it. They love circuit motorcycle racing and moto cross, events with lots of riders in action. Four on a track for about 60 seconds won't appeal to them.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

While there were some Spanish speedway riders involved with the Ian Hoskins venture in Majorca in 1972, previous to that the most active was Alberto Sirvan.

He raced on tracks in France in the late 1950s and early 1960s. His British rivals included George Bason, Stan Tebby, Pete Rogers and Geoff Harris.

Edited by speedyguy

Speedway has never succeeded in Spain. Either in pre-war days with Spanish riders (they had starters in the 1936 world championship) nor in post-war years, initially in Madrid with both Spanish and British riders. Then there were two attempts with all British riders in 1950 and 1953 in groups led by Ted Gibson. All started well crowdwise, then interest faded. Same in Majorca in the early 1970s with Ian Hoskins as promoter.

I'll be surprised if this venture, even if it does get a few meetings underway, proves a long-term success, the Spanish people will soon tire of it. They love circuit motorcycle racing and moto cross, events with lots of riders in action. Four on a track for about 60 seconds won't appeal to them.

Hi Mr S

I thought the idea was to attract British punters who were on their hols and the expats. Obviously it would be nice to attract the Spanish as well.

Speedway seems to survive in Argentina and Spanish/Argentinean people must be similar types of people.

my Post may seem a bit harsh but at least it's realistic . speedway has never succeeded in spain and the spanish authorities are notorious for their red tape antics . I would certainly like to see russell succeeed like a lot of other people and have been visiting the speedway espana website to see any progress on a regular basis but since early last year very little has been said the site has not been updated and reading the last post on there it seemed to me that whatever the latest knockback was it was the final straw for russell who has no funds left and has no choice other than to give up .if he does succeed then i will be glad to eat my words and apologise but until then my opinion has not changed .none of the posting was meant as a personal slur against russell paine who has no doubt put his heart soul and bank balance on the line for his and claires dream but unfortunately thats all it sever likely to be .