British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kent

Riders playing football

In my dim and distant youth, I took part in a Crayford Supporters v Rye House footie match. Brian Foote played for the Rockets and came onto the field wearing hobnail boots. Needless to say most on our side were rather reluctant to tackle him! :D

And on another thread forum's own "Tomcat" reveals he played in goal for England schoolboys...dunno his real name or speedway teams though. Step forward old son and don't be shy..

Currently on eBay:

TV Stars v. Speedway Riders' X1

"Programme from the Charity match played at Hornchurch Stadium,Upminster on 22/3/64.

T.V Stars include;Jess Conrad,Mike and Bernie Winters and Bernard Bresslaw.I wouldn't know where to start with the Speedway Stars,so I won't bother!!"

The seller is obviously not a fan.

If someone buys it we can find out who the speedway team was. Any offers?

Oh well, seeing as no-one else put in a bid, I bought it myself.

The programme says the Speedway XI was formed in 1958 and the players for that afternoon's match (22/3/64) would be chosen from the regular players: Gerald Jackson, Ron How, Reg Trott, Barry Briggs, Cyril Maidment, Ove Fundin, Ernie Baker, Viv Harwood, Jim Heard, Roy Trigg, Jim Tebby, Danny Dunton, Pat Flanaghan, Bob Andrews and D. Boulter.

Nice to read that JB about my "Friend" :wink: and his awaydays. 70 odd and playing football whatever next! :shock:

Nice to read that JB about my "Friend" :wink: and his awaydays. 70 odd and playing football whatever next! :shock:

Perhaps he may take up painting! :wink::lol: