British Speedway Forum
longlivefrankie

Your Favourite Track

The battles with Boston at their place

Then everyone get pissed in the bar before the long coach ride home :o

This is a tough one, I've seen fantastic racing at so many tracks. So based on my overall impression I'll say;

Cradley..Of course

Belle Vue - Hyde Road

Wimbledon - a la 70's/early 80's

Newcastle Motordrome-NSW = When prepared correctly

Best speedway stadium

The Brisbane Ekka

Canterbury (pre-87)

Exeter

Wimbledon (up to 1991)

Halifax

Belle Vue (Hyde Road)

Other than the mecca that is Brandon I always enjoyed trips to Cradley & Kings Lynn, although both stadiums were utter dumps.

Have not been to KL for years though so it may have improved (!)

Have not been to KL for years though so it may have improved (!)

there's probably been a lot of changes since your last visit... money has actually been spent!!!

the track has improved recently, and coupled with the stadium improvements it's not a bad place to go.

i go mainly for the company but we do see some good racing

Though it pains me to admit it, Hyde Road. The B.L.R.C. was the end of season mecca for most fans. The funfair and the go-karts- sadly missed as is the stadium.

From Hell, Hull and Halifax. heard it before?

The Yorkshire tracks have to be some of the best. Old and new alike?

Has to be Odsal for me

Just loved the racing there, and for some reason there was a kind of special atmosphere - even when it was half empty

Hated the place! No atmosphere, just a huge hole in the ground, invariably bloody freezing, often see clouds at eye level (ok exaggeration!), bends 1/2 different from 3/4. Plus they had riders who couldn't ride anywhere else eg. Thorp, Wilson, Smith, Havelock etc etc. Rubbish centre green announce who couldn't 'announce' 90% of foreigners names. Plus of course every time we went there we got an absolute tonking :(:(

Mind you the Odsal chippy was great! Which other chippy in the country doesn't sell pies? Unique!

Has to be Odsal for me

Just loved the racing there, and for some reason there was a kind of special atmosphere - even when it was half empty

Hated the place! No atmosphere, just a huge hole in the ground, invariably bloody freezing, often see clouds at eye level (ok exaggeration!), bends 1/2 different from 3/4. Plus they had riders who couldn't ride anywhere else eg. Thorp, Wilson, Smith, Havelock etc etc. Rubbish centre green announce who couldn't 'announce' 90% of foreigners names. Plus of course every time we went there we got an absolute tonking :(:(

Mind you the Odsal chippy was great! Which other chippy in the country doesn't sell pies? Unique!

Lets see now, a track & stadium worthy of the name, flat out racing 4 a breast seating aplenty, fantastic viewing throughout or alternatively a fleapit of a trick track with a bloke in a fleabitten dog costume mincing about on the centre green & where you have the pleasure ( :blink: ) of being surrounded by a bunch of linguistically challenged inbreds situated in a place which Michael Palin described as the place where the tube would be placed if Britain needed an enema!!

Yup, Osdal 1 - The Kennel 0

Edited by howling gorgon

odsal produced one of the best world finals as far as pure racing, in my opinion..

All of those good points didn't stop it from closing did it Gorgon?

(no dis-respect Bradford fans)

As far as Wolves trick track is concerned, well what it means is that you have to use your brains and throttle control instead of just keeping the throttle on 'open'. Something for the more intelligent supporter to appreciate I think. which is why you don't!

Anyway how would any Coventry fan be able to recognise good racing. If you've never seen it you wouldn't know what it was! :D

All of those good points didn't stop it from closing did it Gorgon?

(no dis-respect Bradford fans)

As far as Wolves trick track is concerned, well what it means is that you have to use your brains and throttle control instead of just keeping the throttle on 'open'. Something for the more intelligent supporter to appreciate I think. which is why you don't!

Anyway how would any Coventry fan be able to recognise good racing. If you've never seen it you wouldn't know what it was! :D

Whats up can't you manage to write Howling?

You seem to have a very high opinion of your own intelligence, can't think why, for a start you support the dogheads, how bright is that?

Bradford closed I believe after being stitched up by the Council/Bulls RL club, so I don't really see your point, (perhaps its beyond me :D )

The Kennel is & always has been a trick track, I have been many times & have yet to see what I would class as a good meeting.

As for Coventry, well I have seen the track shape alter over the years & certainly now you generally get good even close racing (2004 being the exception, but thats more to do with the team).

As for bias, well I will hold my hands up Cov is my team, I have been going since 1977 & as far as I am concerned it is THE speedway stadium, just my opinion mind, as previously posted CH was also a favourite & they were the team to beat from our point of view, in fact it was not until they closed, (which is a tragedy) that you lot really got considered as semi serious opposition for us & now we have to make do with you lot, it just is not the same :angry:

By the way what exactly would you know about brains & throttle control then?

Edited by howling gorgon

I used to film every week at both Odsal and Monmore Green. Both were great tracks, good promotions and meetings at Odsal between the two were often tight.

In 1989 the Wolves visit included two of the best races I have ever seen at Bradford between Pfetzing and Ermolenko.

As for Havelock not being able to ride anywhere else, ??????? In those days he could ride anywhere. He is one of the best captains I have seen at any club.

On balance I would have to say that I preferred Odsal, especially the Northern Trophy matches with Sheffield and Belle Vue. Although the Dudley Wolves trophy was always a good meeting.

BTW could any Wolves fans who know Stuart Sargeant pass on my regards, he did the pit interviews when I worked there.

As for bias, well I will hold my hands up Cov is my team, I have been going since 1977 & as far as I am concerned it is THE speedway stadium, just my opinion mind, as previously posted CH was also a favourite & they were the team to beat from our point of view, in fact it was not until they closed, (which is a tragedy) that you lot really got considered as semi serious opposition for us & now we have to make do with you lot, it just is not the same :angry:

By the way what exactly would you know about brains & throttle control then?

I rather think that you've got that the wrong way around, but you're not even semi serious opposition for us. Since Cradley closed we have won the League twice as well as the KO Cup, whilst you have won precisely nothing! Oh and I think we have a chnce this year as well!

As for brains, I was referring to the discerning crowd at Monmore who appreciate the fine racing they witness every week. However, as you asked, I do hold a degree. To further press the point about the locals, the University of Wolverhampton is the 5th largest in the country :D:D

Park Road, Barrow & London Road, Crayford.

Who said White City and that Wimbledon was a gaters paradise ?

Did that person ever go to White City and see the racing ?

Canterbury --------- It was Home on a Saturday

Hackney ------------ It was Home on a Friday

Rye House ---------- It was HOme on a Sunday

Mildenhall Best Onions Rings in the country!