British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

High Beech

As you will now if you have read my thread, "I used to go to speedway", on Speedway General Discussions I had a bit of a depressing day at the Essex History Fair yesterday talking to all those people who used to go to speedway but don't any more.

Anyway, the good news is that there was one man who came up to me and said he thought he had some old negatives showing speedway at High Beech somewhere. He thought they were a bit blurry. He'd got them from a friend and put them away somewhere but thought he might be able to lay his hands on them if I was interested. Naturally I said I was very interested and he said he would see what he could do.

This morning I received an e-mail from him saying he had found the negatives and they weren't as bad as he'd remembered; in fact they were quite sharp. They were in an envelope dated High Beech 9 April 1928. He asked if I still wanted copies.

Do I!? The meeting on 9 April was the second meeting held at High Beech. Well, it makes yesterday worth while after all. Every cloud.... :)

and how long will WE all have to wait until they appear in the next publication from your fair hand?

Mouthwatering!!!!!

and how long will WE all have to wait until they appear in the next publication from your fair hand?

If you're very good, I might put them on my Webshots page, when I get them. ;)

excellent.... but i would have been happy to buy a book if they were in that !!

The problem is I can't see a book on the horizon where they might be used. I have a few ideas for books. I shall be talking to the sports editor at Tempus in a couple of weeks to get a programme worked out. One of the books I hope to get a date for is the "Classic Matches" book I mentioned a few months ago. So keep thinking everyone.

Hmmmm....I wonder if the match on 9 April 1928 at High Beech was a classic... :)

Hmmmm....I wonder if the match on 9 April 1928 at High Beech was a classic... :)

Would it have been a match as such? Weren't all meetings individual affairs in 1928?

For what it's worth you can view programme cover images of High Beech from 1928 - 49 (incldg 1st ever ) by following this link:-

here

and entering Old Programme Gallery