British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
David_Furniture

Eastville, Bristol

Thanks SPIN KING , I will have to get it, he was quite a promoter and did wonders for the sport. He seemed to turn around the teams he promoted BRISTOL, NEWPORT, EXETER,SWINDON etc.

On the topic of "a new track for the bulldogs" I was looking at an ariel map of the mendips. There appears to be an oval track about 1/2 mile due east of the "Castle of Comfort" Inn, any ideas to what it is? it looks like shale, and its not Mendip Raceway (which is near Cheddar)

On the topic of "a new track for the bulldogs" I was looking at an ariel map of the mendips. There appears to be an oval track about 1/2 mile due east of the "Castle of Comfort" Inn, any ideas to what it is? it looks like shale, and its not Mendip Raceway (which is near Cheddar)

Good luck with what you are doing whether it is yourself or on behalf of another prospective promotor of the great Bristol Bulldogs?

When Bristol does ropen which I'm sure it will do one day, it will be a little goldmine for those promoting!

I see on another thread in the general discussions page on speedway -forum on the Eldfield Park/Skegness topic a guy is acting on behalf of a promotor whose looking for sites where he could run PL/CL speedway and where it would be viable. - Bristol more than fits the bill!

Bristol needs the bulldogs back in speedway - speedway needs the Bristol Bulldogs!

Thanks for the support 25 year fan. There are a few prospective sites, I am in the process of looking at a few suitable sites but it appears that it is gonna be "out in the sticks" literally!

Thanks SPIN KING , I will have to get it, he was quite a promoter and did wonders for the sport. He seemed to turn around the teams he promoted BRISTOL, NEWPORT, EXETER,SWINDON etc.

Yes he certainly turned Newport around, he closed us. Sacificed for the wonderful Bulldogs, my was I upset when they(The Bulldogs) shut down :D:D:D

He also made the Wasps throw a match in 1974 so his Exeter Falcons could win the Leauge. ( this has always been suspected )

He had two tracks....then he had none ! Some turnaround that ! What a promoter . He makes the Russells look like Mother Theresa.

Edited by father jack

Fair comment ! Icant blame the Newport faithful on that point, but he did bring it back to Bristol, albeit for two short years

Yes he certainly turned Newport around, he closed us. Sacificed for the wonderful Bulldogs, my was I upset when they(The Bulldogs) shut down :D:D:D

It did have also have something to do with the lack of fans turning up at meetings

He also made the Wasps throw a match in 1974 so his Exeter Falcons could win the Leauge. ( this has always been suspected )

I think the lack of fans turning up was a case of a protest against the Promotion, not the team or the Standard of racing, I seen it as a case of Wally (a very apt name ) seeing the potential gold mine at Bristol with a ready made team ( Newport's ).

Maybe he should have run Bristol at the lower level, leaving Newport alone, Bristol would have been a sucess regardless.

Had another promoter taken over at Somerton Park the story might have been different, but a lot of fans were very bitter at what happened and stayed away.

However justice was done when the Bulldogs were shut.

I along with many Newport fans at the time never set foot in Eastville, those that did used to support the opposition , prefering to go to Swindon instead, and when he took over at Swindon I went to Reading, Oxford or Cradley, I made a point of staying away from tracks he was involved with.

Sorry to sound bitter and twisted but it still annoys me to this very day.

Edited by father jack

Obviously you have your own reasons to dislike the guy, but more to the point getting a new home for the Bulldogs is more important nowadays-surely

I'd like to see a track in Bristol, the potential support is mind boggling. But it should not be at the expense of another team, in this case it might be Somerset.

Yeh your right, its not nice to see teams thrive at anothers expense. The more teams the better... within reason of course. Lets hope some land becomes available..(wink wink)

I'd  like to see a track in Bristol, the potential support is mind boggling. But it should not be at the expense of another team, in this case it might be Somerset.

Yes your right the potential for a track in Bristol is huge.

Though if it ever does happen then near neighbour Somerset would have to make some adjustments in order to keep going.

These would be: As the potential for bigger crowds is greater at Bristol then Somerset would have to drop into the CL if Bristol went EL or PL and act as the Bulldogs nursury team. Somerset would have to change their racenight to a Saturday maybe as Bristols tradiional racenight was on a Friday. Other sports would probably have to be inroduced to Somerset to help finance the changes.

British speedway needs more tracks. - I hope to see Birmingham, Cradley, Halifax, Southampton, Long Eaton, Leicester, Crewe, Ellesmere Port, Trelawny, many others as well as my old team the Norwich Stars return to speedway racing and all present tracks to keep going.

I hope Brisol reopen and Somerset keep going as well for good measure!

Good luck!

Hi 25 year fan,good to hear from you again. It can only do good for the sport, more tracks and teams - more interest and support, it makes sense

I wrote to the Councilor in charge of Planning at Bristol City Council a couple of years ago just having a winge about the lack of a speedway track in Bristol and got a phone call at work a few days later from someone in their leisure department who thought I was a prospective developer! (sadly not)

Bristol City Council have taken a lot of stick of recent years about lack of sports facilities and I would like to think this publicity has made them a bit more open minded to sport in the city.

But, what is needed first is a site !!

You are right there "Old Bulldog" hopefully someone from the council can sit up and take note of what is being said here - WE NEED SPEEDWAY BACK........NOW