British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JY2003

Joker - In last heat

Guest JY2003

I think thats a cheating way of winning or getting second place... Even though it didnt work for the Aussies, i was still p****d that they can do it in the last heat :mad:

sorry JY but i totally disagree.

If the last heat was a top scorers race of something then i would agree, but they didnt break any rules and if crumpy had of won the last race then fair play they would have gone through.

I think thats a cheating way of winning or getting second place... Even though it didnt work for the Aussies, i was still p****d that they can do it in the last heat :mad:

Me too Jess.. I was angry that it might spoil an otherwise great meeting..

But, on reflection, they are the rules and the teams needed to be aware of them. Its not like a League match where the last race is nominated.

What would have made it worse would have been if the Aussies had someone like Boyce in the last heat and tac-subbed in Adams/Crump as a joker too..

Luckily Gollob did the biz, assisted by PK! I thought he might just stay out of the way but him winning the race helped the Poles out!

Cheating? Ha! Wrong? Yes but thats not Neil or the Australians fault, it's BSI's fault. I hate double points full stop, they're a joke, unless a rider earns it by comming from the back.

Cheating? Ha! Wrong? Yes but thats not Neil or the Australians fault, it's BSI's fault. I hate double points full stop, they're a joke, unless a rider earns it by comming from the back.

Agree with you there SCB. Tonight was a great meeting and still would have been if Australia had got through with the help of a joker ride. However, the joker ride would only take away from the spectacle, it doesn't add to it. Get rid BSI or make them go from 15 metres.

Certainly not cheating. And they chose not to use it earlier (and if they had used it for Adams in ht 15 they would have gone into heat 25 two ahead of Poland)

Conclusion - there is nothing wrong with using the joker in the last heat

Whether there should be any place in the world cup, or for that matter speedway, for jokers is a more pertinent question.

Personally I think not and last night illustrates why. I was dismayed when I realised that because they were one point behind the Poles the Aussies would get a last heat bonus. It was very noticeable that the whole crowd seemed to think likewise and backed Gollob (slayer of Boyce) in the deciding race.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I agree with arnieg, the point is what is the joker doing in the rules to start with, not when it can be used.

To me I can't see the difference whether it is used in heat 6, 11, 17, 20 or 25 or when ever, surely the team manager would look for the heat in which he thought he had the best chance and use the joker then. If that's in heat 25 then so be it.

Also agree with arnieg that it the joker should of been used on Adams earlier on in the meeting.

I agree with arnieg, the point is what is the joker doing in the rules to start with, not when it can be used.

To me I can't see the difference whether it is used in heat 6, 11, 17, 20 or 25 or when ever, surely the team manager would look for the heat in which he thought he had the best chance and use the joker then. If that's in heat 25 then so be it.

Also agree with arnieg that it the joker should of been used on Adams earlier on in the meeting.

I just don't know what Neil Street was thinking of when he didn't nominate Leigh Adams as a Golden Joker.

Was he expecting to be six points down later on in the match?

I certainly didn't expect this, and because even at this early stage it was looking like the Aussies would have an unbalanaced side, he should have whacked in a joker straight away.

I can't see what you have to gain by saving the move up.

And when will people stop saying things are "cheating" this year when the rule book permits them?

It's very annoying - you can't be cheating if the rulebook says you can do something!!!

I would vehemently disagree with the statement that you should be allowed to use a joker in heat 25.

Why on earth should one of the two trailing sides be disadvantaged because they have more points than the other side?

It's a disgrace.

At least if the Joker was used earlier then the two sides behind the leaders could have the chance to get back on terms it's blatantly unfair that a move can be used in the lat race and I would have thought this was an eventuality not forseen by the rulemakers.

Fair play to the Aussies, they weren't breaking any rules and in fact used them to their advantage.

However, in future I think that the joker should not be allowed in the last heat, in fact they should scrap it full stop.

If you look at the situation last night, the Aussies brought in a joker as they were six or more points behind the leaders Sweden, in effect though the last heat was Poland v Australia and the Aussies were only 1 point behind. So the odds were heavily stacked against the Poles and had Crump beaten Gollob it would, in my eyes anyway, been a hollow victory.

You can't bring tacticals in heat 15 of a league match and you shouldn't be allowed to do so in the World Cup.

All irellavent though and Australia are OUT! Ha!

Its a bit like an elite or premier team getting a 8-1 in ht 14 to make it a last heat decider,not really how the game should be played but that is the so-called rulebook.But i must admit i am well pleased that it didnt work for them.

If you look at the situation last night, the Aussies brought in a joker as they were six or more points behind the leaders Sweden, in effect though the last heat was Poland v Australia and the Aussies were only 1 point behind

Spot on mate. In my view when there is a race off with 2 teams qualifying, if they are going to allow jokers then it should be when you are 6 points behind the 2nd placed team not the leading team (i.e. 6 points from a qualification place).

If you look at the situation last night, the Aussies brought in a joker as they were six or more points behind the leaders Sweden, in effect though the last heat was Poland v Australia and the Aussies were only 1 point behind

Spot on mate. In my view when there is a race off with 2 teams qualifying, if they are going to allow jokers then it should be when you are 6 points behind the 2nd placed team not the leading team (i.e. 6 points from a qualification place).

Wise words.

the tactical joker makes a bit of a mockery of it all doesn't it. Hampel could have eased off into last place in Heat 24 to allow the Poles the right to use one as well.

Just glad that Gollob (and PK) meant its use was ineffective.