British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Puma23

Bill Andrews or Bob Andrews

Bill Andrews - New Zelander rider who rode in 60' 70'

Bob Andrews - New Zelander rider who rode in 60' 70'

They are two different riders or they are these same riders.

i think two different riders.. funny enough, one small fella and the other tall.. this is a question norbold can answer i am sure...

Edited by sandman

As best my memory serves me didn't Bill ride for Newport in the 60's? I seem to recall he was a jockey as well? Steeplechase by chance? But I'm open to being told I've got the wrong guy entirely :(

Yes definetely two different riders, in fact it's Bill Andrew , no 's' at the end, and as Sandman says he was quite small and actually doubled up as quite a good national hunt jockey while riding in this country.

I remember fondly watching Bill Andrew ride for Poole in the 60's, invariably partnered by local hero Norman Strachan and an even more vivid memory was one night when Bill and Norman both went through the safety fence in front of the old west stand forcing the match against Newcastle to be abandoned in heat 5 because it could not be repaired. 67 ish ? Funny how that come to me , i cant even remember what happened yesterday. :blink:

Bill Andrew was with Poole in the 60's and also at Newport. I think he was also at Hackney as well early on.

Bob Andrews was with Cradley for quite a while, and if memory serves me correct his early career was at Wimbledon, before being allocated to Wolverhampton, then Cradley in late 60's and early 70's. He did I believe retire to New Zealand.

Bill Andrew was a Kiwi

INFO on Bob Andrew here :

Bob Andrews

Here is a site all about Bob Andrews

Bob Andrews

Bill Andrews - New Zelander rider who rode in 60' 70'

Bob Andrews - New Zelander rider who rode in 60' 70'

They are two different riders or they are these same riders.

Bill Andrew was born in Palmerston, New Zealand on 13 December 1940

Bob Andrews was born in Edmonton, England on 27 October 1935

Thx Mimmo

Do you have rider's list with date of birth ?

Best Wishes

Hi Puma23

I can provide dates of a fair amount of former riders, but don't have a list as such. If there is anybody in particular you'd like to know, then ask, and I'll see if I can help.

Best Wishes :rolleyes:

Bill Andrew first rode in England for Newcastle Diamonds about 1962. He was in a team of Australations, Mauger, Gifford, Duckworth, Goog Allan.

:blink::blink:

Guest mart W

Bill Andrew rode for Newport in 1970 and 71, he used to ride national hunt on promoter John Richards horses under the name Errol Charles Andrew.

He was involved in the famous incident with Jon Erskine when after a coming together in a second half race at Somerton Park, the following punch - up lead to Jon being sacked.

i think two different riders.. funny enough, one small fella and the other tall.. this is a question norbold can answer i am sure...

I don't think I need to to. It's all been said!

I'm actually looking at a write up about Bob Andrews in a local Aussie speedway paper called Where Are They Now? There is a small bio by Bob himself and he describes his career like this;

Started speedway in 1953 with Wimbledon and stayed there 'till 1964.

Wolverhampton 1965.

Missed 1966.

Cradley Heath 1967 - 1969.

Hackney Wick 1970.

Cradley Heath 1971 - 1972.

Continued riding in New Zealand until 1978.

Won the World Pairs Final with Ivan Mauger in 1969.

Qualified for the World Final in 1960, 1961 (equal fifth with Ronnie Moore ), 1962 ( equal fifth again ) and 1964.

Rode in the World Team Cup in 1961 and 1962.

Toured Australia with the British Lions in 1959 - 60.

New Zealand champion in 1966

Bob is now 67 and retired and lives in Aukland, New Zealand. He is secretary of the NZ branch of the Veteran Speedway Riders Association.

Don't know much about Bob Andrews but the other rider Bill Andrews is included in the Newcastle Speedway History website. A couple of pictures of him are on there if anyone is interested: - vist the page as below

http://www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk/1960s.htm

Like Tsunami says he was a 60's newcastle rider and one of many N Z riders we had in them days