British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Whatever happen to

Soldier Blue,wasn't that a triple x film from the 70's :unsure:

Guest Steve Dixon

Jim, them pics look like 1978, I remember PC having them guards on his handlebars but he didn't have them on long.

Guest Jim Blanchard
Jim, them pics look like 1978, I remember PC having them guards on his handlebars but he didn't have them on long.

See what do I know, I thought it was in the 80's I went to White City.:oops:

I have a lot of PC in Match races with Michael Lee at Lynn and Leicester where PC had those guards on.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Soldier Blue,wasn't that a triple x film from the 70's :unsure:

Don't think it was triple x but 'Soldier Blue' was a violent and very bad 'alternative' Western from the early 1970s.

From the same time I remember Soldier Boy following Leicester and Ray Wilson in particular. He was interviewed at Oxford in the late 1980s and said he had been based once at the local MOD Bicester depot, so I guess he was an authentic soldier - who knows.

Was there not a story that he won the lottery?

Edited by miro

Fifth pic down is PC from '78 (he had gold flames on his leathers in speedway's Golden Jubilee year, not that you can tell in b/w) and the ninth pic down is PC in '79, the year he had covers on his handlebars.

Guest Jim Blanchard

Of the White City shots. In the first I can identify #7 Peter Collins, #8 Ivan Mauger, #6 Larry Ross I think. Not sure who #5 is.

In the next one #3 one of the Morans, #4 Ole Olsen. The crash ones no idea.

Again the bottom one is #3 Moran and #4 Ole Olsen. Does this help indentify the event?

.........on the basis that I'm pretty sure no.3 is not Shawn then I'd say it was the jelly man........................:)

Is no. 5 Gordon Kennett??

Edited by WATigerman

Guest Jim Blanchard

Thanks for that WATigerman.

Added just two more. Craig Featherby at a practise session at Mildenhall?? I'm going off topic now so I will not post anymore. Cant find anymore of SolderBlue/boy.:oops:

I'd say most of these pics were from the 1979 Intercontinental at White City. Except no5 is of PC in 1978 (as others have alluded to - cracking shot by the way) and I haven't got a clue about the guy in the last two pics.

Soldier Boy turned up in the mid to late 90's at poole for a season and caused the usual mayhem. :D

He sat at the other end of the stand but you could hear him all around the stadium giving the riders greif and the fans nearby ear ache. On occassion though howls of laughter from the stands as he made a wisecrack.

I think he retired to live in Northern Ireland, as he hasn't been seen at Poole since those times.

I remember another famous fan from the 70's called "The Bugler". Think he supported Ipswich.

Got an idea i saw somewhere soldier boy had a good win on the lotto

and has left speedway.

soldier boy was a regular at halifax before it closed , i remember him giving kenny carter grief most of the time , a bit of a love / hate thing going on i think ,