British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shazzybird

Canterbury Crusaders

The whole of the area where the stadium was has changed totally

if you head for kingsmean road just off the sturry road roundabout (sainsburys and kingsmead swimming pool on the left as you drive down and opposite in between the pair is a patch of roughland nothing on it! thats where the stadium was :cry:

I think you need to explain that there is a "roadway" from the main road which leads down to the site of the old turnstiles.

Grachan, walk down this roadway with the river on your right for about 300 meters and you will then be on the site of the old track. Last time I looked (about a year ago) you could still see the layout of the stadium and track.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the weekend. I did try to find it on the way home from work last night without any map or directions, but didn't find it. I did find a road called Havelock Road though! It turned out I was the wrong side of the main road. Next time I shall have my little Canturbury tourist map and your directions. Thanks again.

Question,

Who are the 2 Crusaders featured in the programme for the 75th Anniversary of British Speedway at Rye House?

I think gate 4 is pretty easy,but gate 2 is a bit of a problem,any ideas?

Have not looked out the old programme yet so still guessing myself. :roll:

I have the answer here on very good authority and my informer says there is no doubt who they are : Graham Banks & Graeme Stapleton :roll: Helps to have friends who view the forum from a distance ;)

Went to the track Saturday morning. The road was locked by a construction company, but it was pretty easy to get in by climbing over the fence at the end of the sports field. There's not much there, but you can still clearly make out the layout of the stadium and shape of the track. It was fascinating for me, as someone who never went there when it was a speedway stadium, to walk the track and stand on the banks trying to imagine all that might have gone on before.

Does anyone know how I can get hold of some videos from the old days? It would be amazing to see that patch of wasteland spring into life.

Hi Grachan, is there any chance of you or someone getting any pictures of how it is now. Would be great to see before it is completely gone.

Cheers Mark

I took quite a few photos. I'll try & scan them at the weekend so you can have a look.

Grachan - Re-Run Videos used to film at Kingsmead so it may be worth giving them a ring.

Cheers Kevin. Anyone know the website address?

Have just tried www.re-runvideos.co.uk and it seems to be the correct one. :D

Not been updated since last September though so I don't know what your chances are.

Blimey Gem you must be bored if you are reading the Canterbury Thread lol ;) Nice to see other fans in here :lol:

I read just about everything Shazzy. It's surprising how some topics unfold. Don't want to miss anything....:D

I read just about everything Shazzy. It's surprising how some topics unfold. Don't want to miss anything....:D

lol nosy moo! ;)

Question,

Who are the 2 Crusaders featured in the programme for the 75th Anniversary of British Speedway at Rye House?

I think gate 4 is pretty easy,but gate 2 is a bit of a problem,any ideas?

Have not looked out the old programme yet so still guessing myself. :roll:

I have the answer here on very good authority and my informer says there is no doubt who they are : Graham Banks & Graeme Stapleton :roll: Helps to have friends who view the forum from a distance ;)

Thanks for your answer,still can't find the programme,who is your informer :?: Is it Dad :?:

Have got your message ok, will sort it out as soon as I can :)

Just to let all you Crusaders know that I have just been interviewed by a journalist from the Kent Gazette who will be doing a piece on my new book and Canterbury speedway in the next couple of weeks. I believe the paper is part of the Kent Messenger group so could appear in Sittingbourne and Maidstone papers as well.

Hopefully the piece can generate some feed back and show support for speedway returning to Canterbury.

Just to let all you Crusaders know that I have just been interviewed by a journalist from the Kent Gazette who will be doing a piece on my new book and Canterbury speedway in the next couple of weeks. I believe the paper is part of the Kent Messenger group so could appear in Sittingbourne and Maidstone papers as well.

Hopefully the piece can generate some feed back and show support for speedway returning to Canterbury.

Nice one Norbold, the Kentish Gazette was always very pro-speedway and do print a memory lane column in their sports section.The crusaders often get a mention in this and have told them in the past that I would tip them off if anything concrete was about to happen.

They certainly did their bit to help save the sport in 1987 and can remember doing a long interview with them including a photo shoot at my house,all sadly to no avail. This could be just the spark we need !