British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shazzybird

Canterbury Crusaders

Marty, and anyone else who can bear to look, my pictures from last week can be seen here.

(Thanks for the re-run site address by the way Gem. I've sent them an e-mail.)

Thanks Grachan. How sad!!

Just came across some pictures of when it was closed down as a dog track & thought that was bad enough http://www.speedwayplus.co.uk/

Noticed that they filled in the grandstand & those trees sure have grown in 20 years. You wouldn't think it is near the middle of a city, looks like it is out in the country somewhere.

A very sad sight - has anyone looking into the possibility of speedway returning there?

just looked at the pictures... what a thoroughly depressing sight :cry:

can't even get my bearings to see where the stand or the pits would have been

Steve - I had the same trouble but used the Cathedral in the background to get my bearings.

I am currently putting all the photos from my riding onto cd, and have stacks from the 86 and 87 seasons.... to see a packed Kingsmead week in week out in the pictures and to see what it is now is just terrible.

Steve,

Any chance of getting a look at some of the old photos? I've been looking through all my old books to try and see how it was but haven't come up with anything.

I can't be sure, but I would guess that the bottom photo was probably the pits area. The other pictures were taken going round the track from the entrance in a clockwise direction and they are in that order on the page.

The two long pictures have been taken from the apex of each bend, but the shape may look a bit strange due to the way they've been joined together.

Haven't a clue how to put pictures up for viewing on here but am more than willing to email you some to put on.

I'll get you some out straight away.

I cannot believe the pics I have seen of the old Canterbury track. Were the trees their when the speedway was running? I know they grow fast as I have a couple in my front garden. Can perhaps somebody answer a couple of questions?

Why did the speedway stop?

Why did the dogs stop?

Why did the football stop

Why was the stadium allowed to close?

I would have thought it would have been in the interests of the local Council to at least keep the football and dogs their. Is it council owened? I suppose Tesco's will be going on the site.If it's houses perhaps a campain could start, and at least call one of the roads Hoskins Road,

-Mawdsley Steet, only joking Mr Glover- After all there is a Hoskins Close on the old Custom House track!

Guest Dick Searle

I've just looked at the pictures. How sad!! Poor old Johnny must be spinning in his grave. I wonder if all the moaning neighbours complain about the noise of the birds in the trees. I think I'll go and watch some videos from the 80's meetings just to remind myself how vibrant it was on Saturday nights!!

I've added a few of Steve's old pictures to (hopefully!) help get your bearings a bit better. Click here.

Why did the speedway stop?

Why did the dogs stop?

Why did the football stop

Why was the stadium allowed to close?

1. Official answer is that planning permission was refused prior to the 1988 season.

2. The dogs allegedly went bankrupt - and didn't have the speedway to support the stadium overheads.

3. Didn't have the speedway to support the stadium overheads.

4. There was no reason to keep it open with no sport to support it.

Grachan they way you put together the pics of action and the place as it is now is very emotional even to someone who has no knowledge of the track.

Phenomenal and very moving-thanks

Guest Dick Searle

Further to Kevin's response re the closure of Canterbury, it's not true to sat that planning permission was refused - it wasn't even applied for. At the end of the '87 season, Chris Galvin (the promoter at that time) admitted to me that he never "got round" to applying for it!!!!

Further to Kevin's response re the closure of Canterbury, it's not true to sat that planning permission was refused - it wasn't even applied for. At the end of the '87 season, Chris Galvin (the promoter at that time) admitted to me that he never "got round" to applying for it!!!!

I did say that was the official reason Dick, we all know there was far more to it than that! Can you expand on why Chris Galvin never applied for it?