British Speedway Forum
Guest BilaHora

i remember when...

Before the Wimbledon/Hackney rivalry there was the Wimbledon/New Cross rivalry. Ronnie Greene and Johnnie Hoskins were not noted for being polite in their opinions about the other team in their programme notes. Even that gentleman of the speedway, Ronnie Moore, joined it at times. I remember he slagged us Rangers' supporters off something rotten once. It's hard to believe now, but after that he became a bit of a hate figure down the Old Kent Road.

Of course, being a young teenager in those days I believed it all, but my dad used to laugh at it and say it was just done to get the crowds in and that they were all the best of friends really. I didn't believe him at the time..... :)

Don't know if terry Stone or Bob Dugard read this, but I wonder if they remember when the hose was used on the Rayleigh riders as they came round on alap of honour, Bob had the hose, terry had the fist!, I was only young, well youger than I am now, but it was great to see, I thought it was so funny, terry didn't!! :wink:

Talking of Terry Stone, and digressing slightly, does anyone know how he is? I know he was unwell a little while ago and he wasn't at the Norwich 'do' at the weekend, something which he normally goes to. I hope he's ok.

A bit off topic, but there's something which will interest Norbold (and Shazzybird) on Speedway Plus at the moment.

It's a sad topic, but well worth a read.

A bit off topic, but there's something which will interest Norbold (and Shazzybird) on Speedway Plus at the moment.

It's a sad topic, but well worth a read.

NOT HEARD, WILL TRY AND FIND OUT. :neutral:

Thanks for that Ian. I remember the occasion well. I saw it on the front page of the Evening Standard when I went out for a break from work at lunch time. I still have the paper.

It was a very sad day of course.

I was 3 years old when the accident happend, yet some of my family remember it like it was yesterday.

My mum has commented in the past at how good looking Martyn was (now you now where I get it from although she wasn't into butt watching :wink: )

Had a little look through the links and found this

Nothing like I remember as that was what it looked like after the speedway had been oosted and the dog racing took over :cry: the stand was covered in with standing room at the bottom of it. I went there once with me ol' mucker Knocker and a few of the others can't really remember much about it as I don't think I wanted to be there. :cry:

Thanks for the links it's nice to take a trip down memory lane every now and then just that I like to take that trip more often than others. :wink:

The Hackney pictures of Waterden Road (HERE) exactly how I remember it the memories are flooding back now !!! Just need one of Rye House now. Thank you once again xxxxx

Edited by shazzybird

Guest BilaHora

All

I remember when Eddie Ingels rode for Newcastle Diamonds in 1984. Mr Ingels was a very gifted rider from California who rode for Newcastle during their troubled season in the British League in 1984. Sadly, Mr Ingels failed to reach the required 6.00 average to secure a work permit for the following season and, anyway, Newcastle folded at the end of the season. Wolverhampton tried to sign Mr Ingels but failed to secure a concession from the government in regard to the work permit. However, midway through the season Stuart Bamforth, then the owner of Belle Vue, did manage to bully the government into granting Mr Ingels a work permit. Mr Ingels did not settle on the huge Hyde Road track - although he would probably suited the tighter Monmore Green circuit in Wolverhampton.

Personally, I feel that Mr Ingels could have become a real star had he been allowed to join Wolverhampton.

Regards

BilaHora

Guest BilaHora

All

Incidentally, in this topic nothing is regarded as "...off topic" by the originator - take it wherever you want it to go.

Regards

BilaHora

Guest Jim Blanchard
Incidentally, in this topic nothing is regarded as "...off topic" by the originator - take it wherever you want it to go.

I remember 'working' for Ken Brett at 14 and one my 'jobs' was to clean the little sports car belonging to Split Waterman when he visited. Whilst Ken took Split and Avril to the pub. When they returned a mechanic working for the garage would then throw water over it. Then they would turn me upside down and put me down a pile of used car tyres. :(

I remember Cyril Maidment visiting, and having pie & mash with him. I remember the charming little daughter of South African champion Doug Davies saying, " 15 points tomorrow". Travelling with Bob Dugard and his girlfriend to Sheffield and back from London in the back of a Morris Minor van between his bike and tools. I remember Gary Middleton telling me he had Ivan Mauger and Ole Olsen’s character's assessed by a psychoanalyst whilst sello taping the muzzle up of his wife's dog. :o

Being in the pits at Wembley at the 1963 world final at 14 and crashing the Morris Minor van of Ken Brett with Splits bike in the back 'driving it from the pits to the function room' after the meeting. ( I did mean well....:oops: ) Peter Craven telling me in the pits at Wimbledon to tell Ove that I thought that Peter Craven was the 'greatest' (I did not....tell him)

Barry Briggs always calling me 'Tiger' but now it has slipped to just 'James'.

Perhaps, some people think I am boasting but these are some of the treasured memories that I have, and no one can take away.

Thank you BilaHora.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Ooh,pie & mash with eels and vinegar with chillies in it.I remember that :D Sadly i have not found a shop here :(

Guest Jim Blanchard
Ooh,pie & mash with eels and vinegar with chillies in it

Iris this was Goddards not Manzies. They did not sell eels, and neither of them sold chillies. ;)

Edited by Jim Blanchard

There was definitely something floating in the vinegar,Jim. :o

It might have been a Tooting speciality as i don't remember it elsewhere

Edited by iris123

Guest BilaHora

Mr Blanchard

What are you thanking me for? I should be thanking you for excellent posts that enhance this little thread I started.

Keep the memories going and hopefully more people will join in.

Regards

BilaHora

Thanks for that Ian. I remember the occasion well. I saw it on the front page of the Evening Standard when I went out for a break from work at lunch time. I still have the paper.

It was a very sad day of course.

I was working in the City at the time and was also out for lunch when I saw it on an Evening Standard billboard. It was probably the first time (and certainly the last) that I bought an Evening Standard.

It's hard to believe it was a third of a century ago.

Its the atmosphere i remember most.The Internationale,having to get there a couple of hours early and still find yourself in a large queue.The 2 Division Riders Championship with all the different colours and flags from places like Workington and Berwick.Hardly finding a place to sit.

The 75 Wembley Final,was amazing for me to enter a stadium with 80,000 speedway fans.I had been to Wembley a couple of times before to see England play but i think there was only 30,000 or so.