British Speedway Forum
Guest BilaHora

i remember when...

Perhaps, some people think I am boasting but these are some of the treasured memories that I have, and no one can take away.

Hey JB boast away m8, lovely to read your memories :approve:

Excellent thread with some lovely memories yet sad ones as well but it's all part of life and all part of growing up. (JB does this make you Peter Pan and me Wendy as I never want to grow up and forget my memories :wink: )

In my younger days as a spectator I never came across the riders themselves much. However, I do remember that when Norman Hunter was riding for West Ham he often used to be a spectator at Hackney and I used to stand next to him or near him anyway. He always used to spend the whole match reading the Speedway Star. I don't think he ever actually watched a race. When the match was over he used to ask people around him who'd won.

Always was a bit uneasy being near someone who didn't fill in their programme.People who threw their programmes away at the end,well :angry:

Guest BilaHora

All

I remember when I used to wonder if anyone would beat the imperious Joe Owen around Brough Park during 1982 and 1983.

Regards

BilaHora

Guest BilaHora

All

One of my favourite stories from speedway was related in a book called, If I remember, The History of the World Championship. It was about the relationship between a brute of a rider and his mechanic, related, so the book said, best by the late lamented Johnnie Hoskins, and it always made tears come to my hardened eyes. It seems that the mechanic lived for a little praise from the rider and would almost burst into tears if the engine of the rider misfired in a race. However, one Christmas conscience struck the rider and he frantically tried to find a present for the mechanic, finally finding a few spare parts and placing them in front of the mechanic with the words "...here son, tidy them up". The mechanics face lit up as he went to work. The killing last line, delivered by Mr Hoskins, was that the mechanic, "...poor kid, was blind you see".

I must look out the book and find the story, as I am sure that I have not done it justice.

Regards

BilaHora

Edited by BilaHora

Yes, the story is in John Chaplin's "The Story of the World Championship".

You've remembered the story well. On Christmas Day the rider went to a workshop where the mechanic (Little Tich) was sitting and he gave him six cylinder heads a couple of cylinder barrels and the innards of a second hand machine and patted Little Tich and said "Clean 'em up son."

Guest BilaHora

All

I remember when Egon Muller was world champion.

He won the world championship in 1983 at Norden in his native West Germany (becoming the first rider to win the world championship powered by GM) while, as ever, inactive in the British scene. He did, however, agree to make several appearances in the Britain towards the end of the season, including three match-races against Newcastle's heat leader trio at Brough Park. Sadly, Mr Muller was injured the previous evening (at Exeter I think) and only completed one heat in which he was easily beaten.

Still, the first world champion I ever saw race live.

Regards

BilaHora

The first time i saw Ronnie Moore ride.. Speaking to him in the pits afterwards and still remember the incredible stage presence he had. I felt as though i was in the presence of a movie star.

The first time i saw Ronnie Moore ride.. Speaking to him in the pits afterwards and still remember the incredible stage presence he had. I felt as though i was in the presence of a movie star.

Very similar to the feeling I had when near Bruce Penhall (obviously before he went off to Hollywood!) I have a picture of him and I taken by the showers at Poole, when I say by the showers I mean the hallway just outside them before anyone questions that !

Mind you, I was also thrown into the bath at Poole one season, fully clothed I must add here, but they were nice enough to take off my new boots first! Oh the memories of my younger days! :wink:

Very similar to the feeling I had when near Bruce Penhall (obviously before he went off to Hollywood!) I have a picture of him and I taken by the showers at Poole, when I say by the showers I mean the hallway just outside them before anyone questions that !

Mind you, I was also thrown into the bath at Poole one season, fully clothed I must add here, but they were nice enough to take off my new boots first! Oh the memories of my younger days! :wink:

Hey Tabby, no need for so much self explanation.... I believe you, really i do.. :)

She is protesting too much innocence here :lol: Give her a shovel dig a bit deeper :lol:

Guest Jim Blanchard

I know what you mean Sandman. I felt the same way. I said to him at the VSRA dinner this year that he did have that effect on me and I guess many others. That he had an 'aura' about him like a movie star when he was racing and he would give me 'goose pimples'.

He is quite deaf now and he just looked at me and said, "I really hope they keep having these do's". I am not sure if he heard me - or was just embarassed.

It was both sad and amusing at the Golden Greats night I organised last year when Briggo had to keep getting up and shouting in Ronnie's ear all the questions from the floor directed him, as he usually answered the question - the one before though....

I am still in awe in the man's presence.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

I know what you mean Sandman. I felt the same way. I said to him at the VSRA dinner this year that he did have that effect on me and I guess many others. That he had an 'aura' about him like a movie star when he was racing and he would give me 'goose pimples'.

He is quite deaf now and he just looked at me and said, "I really hope they keep having these do's". I am not sure if he heard me - or was just embarassed.

It was both sad and amusing at the Golden Greats night I organised last year when Briggo had to keep getting up and shouting in Ronnie's ear all the questions from the floor directed him, as he usually answered the question - the one before though....

I am still in awe in the man's presence.

My memory of him is his last racing season in England.. His aura was hard to explain. I just felt I was in the presence of a great man. He spoke little, chose his words carefully .. I dont know, anything I say cannot do him justice.. You articulated it perfectly, all I can say is I agree..

Guest Jim Blanchard

Sandman, another amusing strory re - Ronnie from the Golden Greats night.

My daughter Sarah 'stage managed' the event, as fortunately for me that's what she does for a living. She also fell under the RM spell.

She recalls fondly that because of his deafness - which she was unaware of, during the briefings she gave to the riders of what we expected them to do, and when - Ronnie would simply smile at her and sip his glass of wine oblivious of her instructions.

She wanted him to follow her and after no response she just picked up his drink and moved it to where she wanted him to be - and he just followed. "It worked every time", she says.

A great night to remember and of course the last time we was to see and speak to Junie Briggs.