British Speedway Forum

Now that the 2004 Grand Prix series has ended it may be the time to see how much each “regular” GP rider earned from the series.

The following figures are based on the official pay rates as shown on the FIM website, www.fim.ch and an exchange rate of $1.70 equals £1 and the following should be noted

a) From these earning the riders have to pay all costs associated with the GP due to no travelling or accommodation costs being paid for by the GP organisers.

B) All prize money is in $US and the exchange rate has been falling against both the pound and Euro, last year the rate was $1.50 to the £

c) The prize money has not been increased for some 3 years

d) As a matter of interest the last Australian world champion, Jack Young in 1952, earned £500 in prize money and £87.50 in start and points money for 5 rides which according to the web site www.eh.net/hmit was worth £9133.94 in 2002. In 2004 the winner of each GP won $10,250 (£6029)

e) The 2002 annual accounts of BSI show that their annual wage bill was £785,715 for a total of 9 staff an average of £87,301

Jason Crump $61,250 £36,027

Tony Rickardson $57,850 £34,027

Greg Hancock $52,450 £30,851

Leigh Adams $51,050 £30,027

Nicki Pedersen $43,400 £25,527

Tomasz Gollob $44,200 £25,998

Andreas Jonsson $38,000 £22,351

Jaroslaw Hampel $32,400 £19,057

Hans Andersen $33,050 £19,440

Bjarne Pedersen $33,100 £19,469

Lee Richardson $31,400 £18,469

Scott Nicholls $27,800 £16,351

Ryan Sullivan $26,750 £15,734

Runa Holta $26,850 £15,793

Piotr Protasiewicz $25,300 £14,881

Michael Max $22,300 £13,116

Mark Loram $18,750 £11,028

Jesper B Jensen $20,400 £11,999

Bohumil Brhel $19,150 £11,264

Kai Laukkanen $16,000 £9,411

Lukas Drymal $14,200 £8,352

Ales Drymal $15,800 £9,293

Looking at these figures it is clear that certain riders will not be too unhappy, at least in financial terms, not to be in the 2005 GP series and it will be interesting to see when the prize rates for the 2005 series are published by the FIM in January if the prize fund of $84500 per GP has been increased, remains the same or has been reduced to take account of the reduction in the number of riders taking part in each GP

Could we see a breakaway GP series like what looks likely to happen with the F1 series? :rolleyes:

The 2002 annual accounts of BSI show that their annual wage bill was £785,715 for a total of 9 staff an average of £87,301

What!!!!!!! Almost three times more in 2002 than the World Champion of this season, talk about taking the p*ss!!!

What!!!!!!!  Almost three times more in 2002 than the World Champion of this season, talk about taking the p*ss!!!

I imagine the CEO's GBP 350K accounts for a good proportion of that wage bill.

Jason Crump  $61,250  £36,027

Peanuts.

What does he have left after 9 lots of hotel bills and flights for himself and mechanics? It's only the sponsorship earned through being in the series that is profitable. And Possletwit knows that.

There's only one guy making lots of money out of the GP's, and it ain't the World Champion.

It's about time the GP riders got themselves organised.

Kevin,

I'm sure you've mentioned before something about the prize money being the responisbility of the FIM, as part of the agreement negotiated, rather than BSI.

Can't recall whether this was merely the payment or setting of the amounts.

Can you remind us please.

Rico :rolleyes:

Rico,

Can't recall whether this was merely the payment or setting of the amounts.

It's rumoured that the FIM pay the prize money themselves. Perhaps 'The Know' would like to confirm or deny this?

Edited by Kevin Meynell

The rates of pay are agreed between the b.s.i and f.i.m and then rubber stamped.

The b.s.i then pay the prize money after each g.p. Speedway is no differant than all motorcycle sport run under the f.i.m the prize money is not that good. The riders need to get good sponsorship to make lots of money but unlike moto g.p this is not easy as speedway is not very popular.

The main reason for this is because their is no major brands in speedway, ie honda -yamaha you only have jawa and g.m and both are stuck in the 60s with design. With motocross and moto g.p people can buy the bikes to use and because of large worldwide sales more money is put back into these sports. No one buys speedway bikes as they have no use to the normal person and so the suppliers to speedway cannot put money into speedway as they dont have it.

Will it change no, and thats because of the small amount of this type of equipment being sold means people will not get involed. SAD BUT TRUE !

All money paid to the f.i.m for all motorsports goes into the pot to oversee the running of these events. This includes many free holidays to meeting , dinners, nice cars and big pay packets. But is this no differant to all sports.

So a second rate ice hockey player who can't make it in Canada or Europe/Scandinavia ends up in Bracknell playing for the Bracknell Bees can get £40,000 for seven months, a car to run around in(ok it has the sponsor plasted all over it) and gets free accommodation while here: and the team pay for the travel off all players to all games: "WHY DO SPEEDWAY RIDERS PUT UP WITH IT" Speedway GP is on TV, ice hockey isn't, how do these figures add up, someone's making a lot of money out of these Gp's and it isn't going to the riders, the ones risking there lives, and I read in this morning's paper that Paula Radcliffe earns £272,000 for a single race, ? does she have to pay her own hotel bill I wonder..........

The main reason for this is because  their is no major brands in speedway, ie honda -yamaha you only have jawa and g.m and both are stuck in the 60s with design. With motocross and moto g.p people can buy the bikes to use and because of large worldwide sales more money is put back into these sports. No one buys speedway bikes as they have no use to the normal person and so the suppliers to speedway cannot put money into speedway as they dont have it.

Will it change no, and thats because of the small amount of this type of equipment being sold means people will not get involed. SAD BUT TRUE !

JAWA is selling road bikes, and had done it for nearly 100 years, there must be something in it for them!

Could it be something to do with Jawa's european market being pretty lucrative for them even though they don't sell "that" many. I wonder what the difference is between the price of a jawa speedway engine over in Czecho and a jawa engine over here?

Someone pointed out to me the other day that what the aussies earn over here is worth around about twice as much over in aus because of the exchange rate, that's handy!

So a second rate ice hockey player who can't make it in Canada or Europe/Scandinavia ends up in Bracknell playing for the Bracknell Bees can get £40,000 for seven months, a car to run around in(ok it has the sponsor plasted all over it) and gets free accommodation while here: and the team pay for the travel off all players to all games: "WHY DO SPEEDWAY RIDERS PUT UP WITH IT

Is it because there aren't many of these canadian/european/scandanavian players in the league and perhaps they are intregal to the team's success and so are able to ask for nice big pay cheques? Bear in mind I know nowt about ice hockey .... lol ....... just wondering?

Speedway GP is on TV, ice hockey isn't, how do these figures add up, someone's making a lot of money out of these Gp's and it isn't going to the riders, the ones risking there lives, and I read in this morning's paper that Paula Radcliffe earns £272,000 for a single race, ? does she have to pay her own hotel bill I wonder..........

BSI are aren't they??

As far as Paula goes, is it the sponsrship she can get from companies like Nike or Adidas that ups her money?

I spose unless the speedway riders can throw themselves into the public's eye somehow I don't know how they can get a slice of this sponsorship money out there. Trouble is they are so busy riding all through the season, earning their wages, that they don't have time for tv appearances or suchlike even IF they were asked!! Even the charismatic Tony Rickardsson has done nothing much for the sport in this way during his years as world champion!!!!

Edited by Trees

I wonder what the difference is between the price of a jawa speedway engine over in Czecho and a jawa engine over here?

when i see you on MSN i'll tell you ...

bear in mind there is ONE jawa importer in the UK