British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Stewart

Longest serving team captain

How about Chris Louis - ipswich, probably about 11 years (from 91 to 2002) ??? not sure!

Yes, I think that's right, which makes him the longest serving team captain so far.

I don't know what years Booey was captain. Where's all the Coventry supporters when you need them?

How about Chris Louis - ipswich, probably about 11 years (from 91 to 2002) ??? not sure!

Yes, I think that's right, which makes him the longest serving team captain so far.

Well equal with Super Steve!!!

Well equal with Super Steve!!!

Sorry, yes, you're quite right.

And so are you CHK. Tiger Stevenson was West Ham captain from 1929 - 1939.

As an aside to this thread, and not really relevant to "Years gone By" I can certainly put forward TWO candidates for the SHORTEST serving team captain and BOTH rode for Oxford in this year's Conference League!

Our regular skipper Chris Schramm was unavailable for our last home meeting, a double header against firstly Carmarthen and then Buxton.

Ben Barker was appointed skipper for the Carmarthen match, lost the toss for gate positions and so, in my managerial role, I sacked him on the spot on the basis that he was a "useless to**er!" :D

Craig Branney was thus handed the job for the Buxton match and yes, you've guesed it, promptly lost the gate toss - result? Instant dismissal! :D:):wink:

Edited by Bryn

You're a hard man, Bryn. :wink:

Aren't I just!

:D:wink:

Also Kev do you remember Mrs Poynter (ran the coach co for our tour buses) she phoned Dad the other night.

I certainly remember the name Shazz - I can't put a face to the name though. Are Poynters' Coaches still going? :neutral:

Spooky that one Kev not seen a "Poynters" coach for years and bugga me if there wasn't one at Cherry Tree Avenue in Dover this morning on the way to taking the kids to school :o

Spooky that one Kev not seen a "Poynters" coach for years and bugga me if there wasn't one at Cherry Tree Avenue in Dover this morning on the way to taking the kids to school  :o

Well bugga me too. :lol::wink:

When Barney looks in maybe he could let us know how many years it was.  Did he take over from Ross Gilbertson?

I think your Uncle Ted may have some input here!!!

Derrrrrrr never thought of that will nip out and see him this afternoon :oops::wink:

Derrrrrrr never thought of that will nip out and see him this afternoon  :oops:  :wink:

Good idea - I think he'll know EXACTLY who followed Ross as captain :D